3DGE Builder v0.2 Released! (9.24.16)

This category is to discuss EDGE Builder, a custom version of DB2 to support only EDGE, including all of the up-to-date features of the engine. The current release is v0.1.
Corbachu
Site Admin

3DGE Builder v0.2 Released! (9.24.16)

Post by Corbachu »

The next version of 3DGE Builder, v0.2, has been released!

And it's a big one - it's improved in almost every way, even including an Installer that automates most of the heavy lifting.

It features many changes, upgrades, stability improvements, and overall better support for 3DGE (special thanks to Julian!).

It includes core functionality patches streamed from the latest SVN build of GZDoom Builder (as of this writing).

INSTALLATION
--------
Download edge2_builder_02.exe from the 3DGE SourceForge page, and install
away. Everything here should be automated, and it will install everything
neccesary. A reboot of your system might be required, depending on what the
installer felt was needed for operation of the program.

You must have Admin rights to install the program.

CHANGES (since v0.1)
--------

+ Now packaged in an Executable Installer for fast and quick setup.

+ Completely scrapped old codebase, in-sync now with GZDoom Builder's SVN
database. Lots of bugfixes.

+ The Updater utility is still missing -- once we get our Git repo for 3DGE
builder in-sync and do some testing, we will bring back the Updater specifically
for this version of the program (probably v0.3).

+ Removed nearly all Zdoom-specific stuff, including the ability to use its
editing features directly (no ACS, no Decorate, no UDMF, etc). Also removed
all other ports and their features, except for Boom, which 3DGE is compatible
with.

+ Improved stability a little by building with Visual Studio over the previous
version of the program (0.1), which was built with MinGW.

+ Added RTS.cfg to the /Scripting folder, which will be used specifically for
editing RTS scripts. This is not finished yet. Removed all other scripts but
DeHacked and RTS.
---->DDF and COAL script editors will be included in v0.3.

+ Incorporated Yuliana's (Julian) updated configuration for 3DGE, and her graphics for
in-editor sprites.

+ Rewrote some of the configs, now they don't rely on any Zdoom-based configuration, since
3DGE does not yet support UDMF.

+ Upgraded version of glBSP command-line to 3DGE's git version of glBSP (updates grabbed
from both Eureka and Oblige, as per original author Andrew Apted).

NOTE
---------
-> If 3DGE does not show up under Game Configurations, you will need to enable 3DGE by check-marking
the 3DGE entry under the Game Configurations menu!

You can grab the new version of 3DGE Builder HERE!!!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Marscaleb

Re: 3DGE Builder v0.2 Released! (9.24.16)

Post by Marscaleb »

Aww, I thought this was going to do things like let you preview the room-over-room and slope effects. This also doesn't seem to update the list of line defs and sector effects so that those show up in the list instead of just being "unknown."
It looks like it also doesn't seem to display things like new weapons I may have added in the ddf file.

Or is there some setting I am missing that I need to set?

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

@Mars Although it doesnt show the effects in-editor, the builder starts 3DGE up fairly quickly - you can always move your Player thing to areas using the effects for efficient testing ^_^ We might get that feature in 0.3 because there's a ton of ZDoom stuff under the hood left from GZBuilder that doesn't deal with configurations files. It's super nice to find all the 3DGE stuff in one place instead of having to config it for yourself like I had to XD

Also, the weapons you've added via DDF are there to use and place in maps, though you'll need to manually input the number of the thing you're wanting to use. For example, I want to place a minigun in the map to use in a key trap. The builder doesn't automatically list things newly defined in DDF, so instead I use the Shotgun. By replacing the Shotgun thing ID to "9000" in the thing selection window, my minigun is now on the map in place of the Shotgun. It will be grey, with a question mark and the editor will check it as an error. Game shows otherwise and I follow up with an awesome fist pump :mrgreen:

For some reason, I cant play or test a new map. Something about SECTORS not being rendered or corrupt, it must be a glbsp thing of some sort. Those Skybox things - are they usable to create sector-based skyboxes like Hexen and ZDoom? If so, this is an awesome achievement that only further increases the capability of the engine's 3D environment :)
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Julian

Post by Julian »

Marscaleb, try to redownload and reinstall Builder by current link, archive seems to be updated, and now 3DGE-specific features (Things, Lines and Sector effects) are working fine in "3DGE" game configuration. However, I have not done any research in 3D floors, slopes and custom stuff - no idea how to implent them.

Also, I've checked missing linedef numbers like 890, 895, 896 and others.
Yep, they are missing, because of they are missing in existing lines.ddf (3DGE 2.1.0 Test-2, which I was using as template of actual lines), BUT! Engine still understand them, so looks likes they are hardcoded in executable. Looking in 3DGE sources gives me nothing, the only reference to these lines was found in compiled "r_main.obj" file as "$LN890", "$LN896", etc.

Lines.ddf from EDGE 1.35 is also missing these line numbers.
Very wierd. Guess, we need an expert. Coraline? :roll:

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

I will look them up tonight after work!!

A proper THINGS.ddf parser is on its way for the program, and so is 3D floors, models, and our detail slopes.

@All: glBSP is borked? If so, use the exe from the previous release. Not sure what happened but i will fix and re-up it.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ