Is it possible to change the player size?

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Marscaleb

Is it possible to change the player size?

Post by Marscaleb »

Is it possible to change the player's size? To pull off the effect completely, I'd need to change the location of the player's camera, (and where the weapons shoot from,) the width/height of the player's collision, as well as things like the player's running speed, jump height, crouch height, and so forth. Those last few items I seem to recall seeing mods that have changed those attributes before, but I don't recall what mods or where to change these variables.

I'm mostly interested in possibly changing these default variables for the whole game, but I imagine people might want this to pull off a shrink effect like in Duke Nukem or a grow effect like in ROTT. So I suspect these options are already available, but as I said, I don't know where to find them.

so19

Re: Is it possible to change the player size?

Post by so19 »

Yes - all those settings can be changed in things ddf

so19

Post by so19 »

What exact effect are you looking to create? You can use the become action to turn things into new objects with different height, width, view height etc

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Well right now I was just thinking about the possibility of changing the relative size of the world. Instead of having a normal human be 55 pixels tall, make them be 65 or 75 or maybe an even 100. A 128 tall wall could be ten feet, or six feet... I haven't figured out exactly what size because I'd have to run a couple tests to see how things feel. But if I wanted to change that, then I would need to change the player properties. I'd want the camera to be higher, the point from which the player shooters to be higher, increase the player collision accordingly, etc.

So where would I find those properties among the ddf files? Usually when I want to change that stuff I look at other examples, but I haven't seen examples of this before. And looking through the files in my copy, I don't see a "player.ddf" in the doom_ddf folder. I'm really not sure what I'd need to look within or what the properties would be called.

so19

Post by so19 »

Go to things.ddf - you want to edit the height and radius, view height and attack height for the item tagged our_hero (these are the settings that alter the player 1)
https://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/index.php?title=THINGS

Return to “General Discussion”