Question about slopes

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Marscaleb

Question about slopes

Post by Marscaleb »

I recently observed something and I was wondering if it was behaving the way I thought.

Are slopes in 3DGE using the same collision as if there was no slope at all? As if they were purely decorative?

If so, I feel disappointed. Walking up a slop feels like walking up stairs; it is not smooth at all.
I think zDoom has slopes with an actual sloped collision; I'm not 100% but I thought I've seen videos showing that.

I feel like I shouldn't be too upset though; it would be a particularly challenging thing to program; it would require making fundamental revisions to the game's collision system, and that sort of thing would guarantee all sorts of nasty bugs. But if the engine is going to support Quake 3 maps, it is something that will be needed at some point.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: Question about slopes

Post by 3rd_3ye »

In EDGE, slopes were decorative. 3dge has toyed with polyobjects, although the code was still alpha last I heard. Polyobjects offer one way to get solid slopes, I understand that there are other methods. The 3d portion of 3dge uses a different bsp. than regular 3dge uses, so it's a case of 2 separate engines in the same exec.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Okay then.
I'm not exactly surprised.
I'm putting "sloped sectors with sloping collision" on my 3DGE wishlist.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

That's something we tried to fix with the current logic, but it was difficult.

We will eventually do this the right way with vertex-height calculation, but the slope code will need to be scrapped and redone, as they weren't programmed efficient enough to use for such a method "as-is", same with portals, mirrors, and other things (like cameras). It works amazingly with older hardware, but current technology can get us much faster speeds, and much more interesting renderer effects.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

We are going to incorporate the 'ZatPoint' from ZDoom for proper slopes, maybe after UDMF :-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

For the moment, I'm happy with vertex slopes. From the current version - standing on top of a small mound, looking at lower regions...

Not really dead, just pining for the fjords.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

As far as I can tell from the test wad, polyobject slopes, along with fog, now work in 3dge.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Polyobject slopes?
That sounds like it would be VERY useful!

Return to “General Discussion”