Rewriting Options/Menu Code

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
CeeJay

Re: Rewriting Options/Menu Code

Post by CeeJay »

Any ideas of when a new build of 3DGE might get released? Looking forward to seeing all the changes that have been floating around implemented.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Without getting into too many specifics, the next 3dge release will be a while, possibly into the winter, as a huge number of optimizations are roughly half complete. beta Dream3dge could be making an apprarence a little sooner.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

CeeJay wrote:Any ideas of when a new build of 3DGE might get released? Looking forward to seeing all the changes that have been floating around implemented.
I can release a new build of the current (non- D64EX merge) but honestly I would rather wait. I should have it up and running by this weekend and I can send out a RC, but I want to be sure it is semi-stable first.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

^^ Or this X]

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

stable is always preferred in any case

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

There were a couple of posts at dw asking for friction control. Would exposing more of the edge2.wad attributes in a *detailed settings* section be desirable? Friction use to be an on/ off toggle in the old edge.wad. Maybe gravity should be taken out of the main gameplay options listing, and placed in advanced? Also, a reset defults button would be a good thing to have, for those of us who like to experiment ;)

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah, I can put them in their own submenu (just called "Gameplay Options").

Almost done with the current menu code, I am just having a bit of trouble integrating the previous Optmenu_t into the new miscitem_t, and resulted in an overhaul of the CVAR system which is still ongoing. Might have it done by tonight, but no promises.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

ryan

Post by ryan »

glew going away? can i do a pull request that removes some GL/glew.h header references yet? ;D

the menu has changed quite a bit since June when I last build from -master, and I have to say its coming along. :) I also like the new console graphic being used, much easier to read the text on the new background!

A couple of remarks about alignment --
- Options -> Host a Game or Join a game

both these menus seem a bit off. Join a game seems a bit too much to the left, especially the JOIN A GAME header.
but Host a game seems a bit too much to the right. The contents of these menus is aligned differently than the main options menu, but that might be a side effect of its contents requiring different space usage. Hitting escape in these menus also closes menu entirely, vs the controls menu, mouse menu, screen options, gameplay options, all those other menus hitting escape returns to main options menu.

... And I just found a crash when you select "Multiplayer" from the main menu. Woops! I'll do a github issue for that one with trace info :)

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

@ryan: Has the Multiplayer Menu crashes been fixed? I'm certain I've resolved all test cases, and I've further
improved the safety of that code. There should be no more crashes from here on out =)

Also, the Alignment on those two menus is due to HL_WriteText - I'll correct their alignment in the next build =)

One other thing - about GLEW, I want it to go away -- so Ryan...make it so ;-)

The only two places GLEW is referenced in EDGE is two files: r_main (Bruce Lewis' RGL_CheckExtensions()), and
in i_video (Win32 video code).
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ