Hi and questions about 3edge

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Raoh

Hi and questions about 3edge

Post by Raoh »

Hi there.

I'm new to 3DGE although I know how to MOD and work with original Edge.
Nice project you guys have here.

I have some questions about 3dge:

1.- Is the fog really disabled? I would like to create a map and fog would give a very interesting looking. There is some parameter in lines.ddf that seems to indicate "NOFOG". That means there must be fog somewhere for it to be disabled
2.- I can see that version 1.4A does have fog. Testing it I can see that blueish fog. Is it possible to change it's color and density somewhere? I want to build a hellish map, so I need red, yellow, clear brown or orange fog.
3.- Where can I see a list of features offered by 3DGE for us, modders/mappers? What does 3DGE offers to a Modder or mapper that original Edge doesn't? I'm not refereing to code optimization or bugs cleanup, but features like fog, railgun attacks or whatever.
4.- I read somewhere 3DGE has support for Heretic, but when I try to launch Heretic using 3DGE 2.0 using the -bat included, I got a "Missing languages" error.
5.- Can I access COAL scripts from a DDF and/or RTS script (and the other way too)?

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: Hi and questions about 3edge

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Full bump ahead!
The banlist has been updated successfully.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Well, it looks like Corbin is absorbed with getting 3dge2.0.1 debugged and out to the public. I'll take a swing at a couple of your questions.

1&2- 3dge 1.36 uses the old fog setup for doom. I think the devs are aiming for gzdoom style fog in the near future. Sorry, no idea how it's controlled.

3- 3dge is running full bore to catch and maybe surpass other tc oriented ports in features while maintaining vanilla edge's approachability and versatility. Broadly speaking, major changes include: 4 different model formats, uncapped framerate, quake3 roq, Hexen style falling, ladders, greater menu styles control, caustic water fx, and dozens of other small improvements that I can't think of at the moment.
The change log contained within 3dge's directory should cover the basics.

5- most of the ddf/coal/rts features of edge3.5 are still intact. The changelogs and this forum are probably the best place to go for assistance.

Raoh

Post by Raoh »

Thanks for your answer.

BTW, is there a way, either in EDGE or 3DGE, to make a player armour that takes 100% of the damage done (this is, reduces damage done to player to zero, while armor is up)?

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Howdy, Raoh! As a matter of fact, you CAN give reduced damage benefits to the player via armour. Here is how it works:

Lets say you have green armour. Image

In DDF, Green armour is allocated to give the player 25% damage resistance. That percentage is hardcoded and cannot be changed. Similar to the blue armour. However using DDF, you can add additional armour that the player can pick up, and these armours give added benefits that you can code into the thing. For example:

Code: Select all

// ------------------- EDGE Experimental Specials -------------------

[PURPLE_ARMOUR:7031]
RADIUS=20;
HEIGHT=16;
PICKUP_BENEFIT=PURPLE_ARMOUR[b](200:200)[/b];
PICKUP_SOUND=ITEMUP;
PICKUP_MESSAGE=GotArmour;
RESPAWN_EFFECT=ITEM_RESPAWN;
SPECIAL=SPECIAL;
PALETTE_REMAP=TEXT_PURPLE;

STATES(IDLE)=ARM1:A:6:NORMAL:NOTHING,
             ARM1:B:7:BRIGHT:NOTHING;

[YELLOW_ARMOUR:7032]
RADIUS=20;
HEIGHT=16;
PICKUP_BENEFIT=YELLOW_ARMOUR[b](200:200)[/b];
PICKUP_SOUND=ITEMUP;
SPECIAL=SPECIAL;
PALETTE_REMAP=YELLOW_THING;

[RED_ARMOUR:7033]
RADIUS=20;
HEIGHT=16;
PICKUP_BENEFIT=RED_ARMOUR[b](200:200)[/b];
PICKUP_SOUND=ITEMUP;
SPECIAL=SPECIAL;
PALETTE_REMAP=LAVA;

The areas that are bolded can be modified to give additional benefits. i.e. Yellow Armour reduces damage by %75, Purple reduces damage by %90, and Red reduces by %100. Those were just examples.. if you wanted to, you can also fit the armour pickups with resistance against various projectiles like bullets, plasma, explosives and so on. One armour can take 75% damage against plasma, but can reduce bullet pain by %90. You can be the deciding force in how this works. And if I am wrong anywhere, please correct me!

EDIT: One more thing: These specials arent available out of the gate, so you will need to add them to your editor through configuration files, or replace them with existing things already defined. Like for instance, the Decorations and Obstacle things that seldom see use in some maps.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Not sure if it would meet your requirements raol, but I went over to the heretic ddf folder and found a SPECIAL=COUNT_AS_ITEM string under heretic artifacts. If armour was an item, player could "recharge" damage incurred as long as there were armour items to draw from. That's probably not what you meant and it might require the heretic iwad to function.

Raoh

Post by Raoh »

RUNSABER wrote:In DDF, Green armour is allocated to give the player 25% damage resistance. That percentage is hardcoded and cannot be changed.
Is there any possibility to make those values non-hardcoded?

Lets say I want to create a 100% defensive armor. I can't right now.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

When you pick up some armour, and the thing DDF uses the ARMOUR_PROTECTION command, various properties are remembered for that color of armour. The ARMOUR_PROTECTION command is the percentage of damage which is saved by the armour (100% for all) which overrides the default protection rates (e.g. BLUE_ARMOUR is normally 50%). This was apparently undocumented, so I will add it to the Wiki right away. Remember there is also GREEN, BLUE, PURPLE, YELLOW, RED armor to choose from.

You do not need to use any hard-coded armor, and can even change the built-in armor (like Green, etc). For pickups, use the SIMPLE_ARMOUR special so the Doom emulated mode goes away.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Return to “General Discussion”