3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Gorin

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2 Released (8.22.2016)

Post by Gorin »

CeeJay wrote: while all the others such MBF, Boom, Doom Legacy, Doomsday, etc. are but a memory now (though Boom does certainly have a historical significance). I just wish there were more EDGE projects.
What? DoomsDay Engine is still updated to this day, infact they have a daily unstable builds. https://github.com/skyjake/Doomsday-Engine
Out of all the Engine I am missing is the Vavoom one. which looked interesting. Welp at least there is this one and the Eternity Engine, so it's not all too bad.
I have seen worse things.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah, I also miss Vavoom, but we will take some stuff from that, such as the real-time shadows (among other things) as time moves forward ;)

Doomsday is so pretty =) Just stinks since you need powerful hardware (like GZDoom). That's why I love my source port - even though we're putting next-gen features into it, it still runs fairly well on low-end hardware while still looking arguably the best out of all GL ports ;)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Gorin

Post by Gorin »

Coraline wrote:Yeah, I also miss Vavoom, but we will take some stuff from that, such as the real-time shadows (among other things) as time moves forward ;)
So you can salvages codes from it? That's great, at least most of the effort wouldn't be put into waste.
Coraline wrote: Doomsday is so pretty =) Just stinks since you need powerful hardware (like GZDoom). That's why I love my source port - even though we're putting next-gen features into it, it still runs fairly well on low-end hardware while still looking arguably the best out of all GL ports ;)
http://wiki.dengine.net/w/Introduction_(Readme) hmm, according to this page to run Doomsday at least OpenGL 2.0 is needed, I dunno if all the fancy stuff can be enabled but well they do support it at least. Unlike GZDoom which doesn't has many fanciful features, in fact the 3D Models is very basic with only a Diffuse shader support anything else is not support - so no bump,specular,normal mapping and what else. When the texture rendering is disabled all 3D Models will become invisible due to that. Nevermind newest SVN fixed it now or so.

I really hope that Graf catches up with all the graphic stuff so that the OpenGL 3.0 minimum enforcement has some justification to it. The latest SVN I tried it had support for Blooms, Tone mapping and Lens distortion.
But for unknown reason to tweak the blooms values it needs to edited directly at the console, since the default values are quite high.
Last edited by Gorin on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Doomsday's still around? Damn, didn't know. Haven't heard anything 'bout it or seen any mods for it in a long while.

Yeah, I have a low-end machine and 3DGE runs (mostly) fine. Noticed slight slowdown with Doom 4 Ever, but that's probably due to the heavy dosage of code (tons of sprites left and right being produced during gameplay simultaneously).

Always had problem getting Doomsday working, when I did it would be too slow to play. Tried playing the Doom 64 TC back in the day. GZDoom has never ran at all for me, can't even get it to boot up.

Weird, I never actually tried Vavoom even though I am aware of it. Perhaps I should go and do that.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

It's been awhile since I've had time to play around with the engine. I just got a fresh install of Win7 going here, and managed to try out the Test 2 release. Functionality wise, it has vastly improved and I don't need to use VSYNC for that strange flicker I was getting before I updated my drivers. However, most if not all compatibility with mods using #VERSION 1.36 are rendered unplayable and need additional editing from a WAD editor to work properly. Not suitable for casual play.. On top of that, items or sprites dropped or ejected have little or too much inertia (ammo casing that never stop moving). I assume alot of this has to deal with specials used in DDF, but all of this compatibility will soon force me to mod from scratch. Which is totally not a bad thing as it's been a long time coming for crisp and smoother gameplay. Overall I'm enjoying the new test and I'm looking forward to mapping for it again :)
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Alas, there appear to be more issues with the recent build of 3DGE. Just posted a topic in bug reports.

EDIT: The splash sfx doesn't work correctly, it doesn't take height into consideration.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

RUNSABER wrote:It's been awhile since I've had time to play around with the engine. I just got a fresh install of Win7 going here, and managed to try out the Test 2 release. Functionality wise, it has vastly improved and I don't need to use VSYNC for that strange flicker I was getting before I updated my drivers. However, most if not all compatibility with mods using #VERSION 1.36 are rendered unplayable and need additional editing from a WAD editor to work properly. Not suitable for casual play.. On top of that, items or sprites dropped or ejected have little or too much inertia (ammo casing that never stop moving). I assume alot of this has to deal with specials used in DDF, but all of this compatibility will soon force me to mod from scratch. Which is totally not a bad thing as it's been a long time coming for crisp and smoother gameplay. Overall I'm enjoying the new test and I'm looking forward to mapping for it again :)
Did you know there are command-line CVARs to enable playback of old mods? Run them with either two switches:

-v129 for 1.29 and lower mods

-v135 for 3DGE 2.0.4 and lower (works for EDGE 1.35 too)

@CeeJay: I noticed the splash sfx doesn't take height into consideration as well, so I'll fix that as soon as I can! Taking a look at the bug reports now. . .
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

UDMF is coming :-) how do you all feel about that?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Pretty awesome. :)

Julian

Post by Julian »

Sound amazing, but will it be Test-3 already? :twisted: