3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
CeeJay

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2 Released (8.22.2016)

Post by CeeJay »

I believe the shaking effect was first used in the Build-engine games (Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, etc.)

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

CeeJay wrote:I believe the shaking effect was first used in the Build-engine games (Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, etc.)
I was thinking of adding a command to RTS to do this for us, using the same system for the pain/attack code in there.

@RunSaber: I have effectively downsized the melee by 3 quarters, seems a bit more bearable =D
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I think that would be the best way to go about it. Then you could add scripted earthquakes to maps or add it to weapons or things if you like. Just don't forget it would need a range limit. Say you add it to the barrel, and it gets blown up from across the map by a monster (way out of players view), you don't want the screen shaking in that case.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ideally, if you were to have screen shaking due to that, it should have some sort of falloff (ideally range^2/dist^2, but range/dist works too).

Also - hopefully you have an option to scale it down or disable it. >_< lol

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

CeeJay wrote:I believe the shaking effect was first used in the Build-engine games (Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, etc.)
Build used either some sort of sector movement trick or slightly different sector coordinates rendered alternately with each screen redraw by the renderer. This provided the illusion of sectors shaking individually- clever.

Quake2 had a much simpler system where the camera would move randomly while the v_weap model would also move separately in a random fashion. Not fancy, but clever in its own way.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah, this approach takes the latter, like Quake 2 does, except the weapon in the middle doesn't move (though we could potentially do that as well).
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

Shaky screen requires passing -ffshake on the command line. It's part of the preliminary force-feedback code. You pass -ffrumble to enable controller force-feedback instead of shaky screen (not yet finished... need to find my FF controller).

If you don't pass -ffshake, shaky screen should never occur.
Not really dead, just pining for the fjords.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

That's true -- except I accidentally enabled it by default while testing it!!! :oops:

We should make this an option in the menu code via a CVAR rather than a command-line switch - or even better, as something that can be defined in DDF directly ;)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

Yeah. Leave the command line switch in case someone wants it for whatever they're playing, but also make it something that can be controlled via one of the DDF files. Did you notice the pause bug-fix from the other thread? You'll probably want that in the main repo.
Not really dead, just pining for the fjords.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

So... I downloaded the latest GITHUB build. It appears to be based on older versions of 3DGE, why?

What with the opening 3DGE animation and what appears to be recently-added menu options now gone. And where's the option in the sound menu to have the pitching removed? Quote from changelog: "+ NEW: Sound Pitching (use s_pitch 0 to disable, or use Options->Sound)"