3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2 Released (8.22.2016)

Post by Corbachu »

Very soon :-) have you tried the devbuilds?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Julian

Post by Julian »

Yep :) But very, very briefly.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Been playing around with test 3 more in-depth now.

What's up with the weird jerking / stwitching of the weapons when walking and the massive shaking of the screen when attacking? Try punching an enemy with berserk and you'll see what I mean. This is really an eye-sore. Turning weapon kick off doesn't seem to help.

The game runs faster and more fluid than ever before, but I do experience random FPS drops at times seemingly at random. My current computer is a 2009 Toshiba Satellite, I believe It should be sufficient to run 3DGE. Hell, my old one was from '05 and it ran older versions of the engine flawlessly 90% of the time.

And lastly, was this issue: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Visible_sprites_limit even resolved in 3DGE? 'cos I do see flickering sprites at times.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

CeeJay wrote:Been playing around with test 3 more in-depth now.

What's up with the weird jerking / stwitching of the weapons when walking and the massive shaking of the screen when attacking? Try punching an enemy with berserk and you'll see what I mean. This is really an eye-sore. Turning weapon kick off doesn't seem to help.

The game runs faster and more fluid than ever before, but I do experience random FPS drops at times seemingly at random. My current computer is a 2009 Toshiba Satellite, I believe It should be sufficient to run 3DGE. Hell, my old one was from '05 and it ran older versions of the engine flawlessly 90% of the time.

And lastly, was this issue: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Visible_sprites_limit even resolved in 3DGE? 'cos I do see flickering sprites at times.
I will disable the punch shaking, it was more of a test and was meant to be refined upon final release, which is still will ;) And, what do you mean weird jerking and 'switching' of weapons? Have an example?

And -- the new devbuilds are extremely optimized, and we are trying a ton of super experimental stuff. Does it still run with a low framerate if either r_vsync is set to '2' or r_lerp is set to '0'?

Yeah, sprite flicking is being worked on ^_^
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Coraline wrote:I will disable the punch shaking, it was more of a test and was meant to be refined upon final release, which is still will ;) And, what do you mean weird jerking and 'switching' of weapons? Have an example?

And -- the new devbuilds are extremely optimized, and we are trying a ton of super experimental stuff. Does it still run with a low framerate if either r_vsync is set to '2' or r_lerp is set to '0'?

Yeah, sprite flicking is being worked on ^_^
Sorry, meant to say twitching. The way the weapons move (bobbing/swaying) is screwy, while moving the weapon stops for a second and then instantly jumps to the current screen position giving a twitching/jerking effect. It does that regularly, looks like it's having difficulty keeping up with the movement or something. Is this problem unique to me?

I'll try r_vsync and r_lerp and see if it makes any difference.
Last edited by CeeJay on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Are you talking about when it hits walls? This was actually a feature we took from PrBOOM, but if you want I can make it a CVAR instead. It's supposed to stop bobbing once you hit a wall (makes more realistic sense).

Yeah, try those and let me know what happens.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I'm all for that, but the way it currently is it just looks glitchy to me. Needs to be smoother and more natural, looks like doomguy is having a bad case of tic disorder.

EDIT: Game crashed when I feel from a great height.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Also having some issues with framerate: the 3rd vsync feature 'seems' to help, though I'm not sure. I actually like the Interpolation, but even with an unlocked framerate I still experience drops. Currently running 16bit settings, low detail, no smoothing/hi-res scaling, with max fps set to 0. I dont know if its the dynamic lights or overall engine itself (maybe AMD drivers just plain suck). Would love to see the shaking screen from melee attacks gone or at least refined into something bearable.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Speaking of which, a feature that would be cool is a "shaky-screen" effect for explosions and whatnot.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

CeeJay wrote:Speaking of which, a feature that would be cool is a "shaky-screen" effect for explosions and whatnot.
I've seen this in ZDoom, where its more or less a script simulating earthquakes.

EDIT: I tried a fresh archive of the latest build and removed older versions of 3DGE I kept dragging on top of. Surprisingly, it runs as smooth as ever, but I'm still using limited features to keep my framerate decent. Also, the size of the dynamic lights really does make a difference. From now on, I'll have to keep a personal customized set of DDF files to make sure those lights dont tank my experience anymore. For me, a 500 size dynamic light setting is atrocious and honestly doesnt look that well. 80-250 seems to be best for fireballs, projectiles and explosions.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.