DDFGAME: NAME_GRAPHIC="M_EPI5" breaks loading

Report bugs in this thread. Please
1) Have a copy of your DEBUG.TXT or EDGE.LOG and attach to post.
2) Screenshots or examples do help -- steps to recreate the bug are very encouraged.

Sourceforge Bug Tracker #1
Sourceforge Bug Tracker #2
Github issues tracker
Lobo

DDFGAME: NAME_GRAPHIC="M_EPI5" breaks loading

Post by Lobo »

Symptoms of bug: We hit new game, then choose difficulty, then nothing happens. If we click or press a key we go back to the main menu, and the cycle repeats.

Cause of bug: In DDFGAMES, trying to play a Doom2 mod, if NAME_GRAPHIC= M_EPI1, M_EPI2, M_EPI3, M_EPI4 or M_EPI5 then we cannot start a game from the normal in-game menus. Only -WARP will allow us to play.

If we use #CLEARALL first, then define our game then it will work. Seems those names are conflicting with what we have in EDGEs standard DDF.

Here's a sample wad:
DDFGAMEBUG.wad
(714 Bytes) Downloaded 463 times
I know this sounds like a kind of obscure bug, but I have been getting it on several old EDGE mods, which makes them basically unplayable. And that is serious.
If a mod includes it's own DDFGAME lump, then it's highly probable you get this issue. Many mods just include the stock EDGE lump, and that will cause the problem. Until I found the reason, I've just been deleting the DDFGAME lump (or renaming it) to get them to work.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: DDFGAME: NAME_GRAPHIC="M_EPI5" breaks loading

Post by Corbachu »

Hmmm..I think I might know what happened.

This M_EPI5 business was a side effect of supporting SIGIL as if you load Ultimate DOOM and SIGIL as PWADS with DOOM2 as the IWAD, you get all “6” episodes. There was a patch for older versions released here. IIRC it was implemented in the EPK with all releases after that point. .

In hindsight this was a pretty big hack: support was wound solely based on DDF and EPK additions (which expects SIGIL as Episode 5) and not done in the engine-side WAD loading code like Plutonia or TNT (which handles definitions differently. . . which is probably how I should have done this.

I’ll fix it as soon as I can, sorry about that!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Aha - so NAME_GRAPHIC=M_EPI5 is associated with "E5M1", which is SIGIL's episode format. This is what is causing it. Since it is referencing that name graphic which is normally associated with SIGIL.

This is partly the reason why I want to introduce namespaces in ./base/ -- so it'll eliminate these oddities in case someone has the root DDFs modified and makes a mod fail to load.

I could also just have the parser forcibly add #CLEARALL to mods that use the same GAME basename (Hell on Earth, etc), or just have it add #CLEARALL if they are using any stock DDF game entries. . .
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Still broken in EDGE (x64) 2.1.0pre-110-g1580465d6

When you fix this, I would also strongly suggest ignoring the #VERSION tag in the ddf files. That way 90% of the old mods will just work with no tweaking.

Return to “Bug Reports”