ON_CEILING issue

Report bugs in this thread. Please
1) Have a copy of your DEBUG.TXT or EDGE.LOG and attach to post.
2) Screenshots or examples do help -- steps to recreate the bug are very encouraged.

Sourceforge Bug Tracker #1
Sourceforge Bug Tracker #2
Github issues tracker
CeeJay

ON_CEILING issue

Post by CeeJay »

The way EDGE handles the ON_CEILING special seems a little wonky. If you give the object any other height than 16 the sprite won't stick to the ceiling properly, usually it'll just float in mid-air. No idea if this is really a bug or if it's just the way EDGE handles it but my attempts at making ceiling-based enemies have been less than succeful, forcing me to give it a height of 16 which results in making it near-impossible to hit with anything other than splash damage.

ChillyWilly

Re: ON_CEILING issue

Post by ChillyWilly »

ON_CEILING does nothing more than set the spawn Z to the ceiling height minus the height of the sprite. Sounds like you're not adjusting the footprint position for the sprite properly to allow for this.
Not really dead, just pining for the fjords.

ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

If the sprites were PNG with a grAb struct, then the issue was that edge wasn't adjusting the grAb offset for where the renderer sets the sprite origin. I corrected that last night, which made the barrels in Duke It Out final get placed correctly. They were floating in the air higher and off to the side compared to where they should have been - they were also PNG with a grAb offset.

So if you were using PNG, you might try it again - they shouldn't be higher and off to the side any more.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

ChillyWilly wrote:If the sprites were PNG with a grAb struct, then the issue was that edge wasn't adjusting the grAb offset for where the renderer sets the sprite origin. I corrected that last night, which made the barrels in Duke It Out final get placed correctly. They were floating in the air higher and off to the side compared to where they should have been - they were also PNG with a grAb offset.

So if you were using PNG, you might try it again - they shouldn't be higher and off to the side any more.
Yes CeeJay - please test this out again and let us know if there is still a problem with ON_CEILING. ^_^
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

The barrels "floating in mid-air" issue had nothing to do with any ON_CEILING command, I just hadn't removed the internal offsets (grAb offset?) of the PNG image which has since been fixed.

ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

Well, grabs should be working now. The thought was that when you were doing stuff on the ceiling, the bad offsets from the grab were possibly the issue, which should be fixed now.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

I think this has to do with the way 3DGE clips sprites, and the current way is the "easy way out", which will
destroy objects *always*. This is something I plan on re-implementing in the near future. Andrew Apted had
disabled this part of the code with the good intention of fixing it later, but that never happened. Hopefully,
this will solve a few problems related to this.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Return to “Bug Reports”