Development Environment - HowTo

New section dedicated to the Dreamcast port of EDGE. Technical problems, compile issues, and other stuff relating to only this branch should be made here.
Corbachu
Site Admin

Development Environment - HowTo

Post by Corbachu »

Okay guys, this thread was pretty much inevitable: I'm going to explain how to set up a development environment specifically for DreamEDGE. You are free to use what Compilers you want, but I'm a MinGW fan myself. CYGWIN is also a favorite, but I will only stand by those two. Now,

To compile DreamEDGE, you will need:

CYGWIN or MinGW (let's just assume you're using Cygwin, as it seems the more popular of the two). I use MinGW strictly because I compile under Windows, but everyone is different.

Next, you will need KallistOS, you can download that below:
svn co http://svn.emuforge.com/kos
svn co http://svn.emuforge.com/kosports

(Note that those are subversion repositories so you will need something like RapidSVN to download them)

I recommend, myself, using a tutorial like the ones on DCEmulation, or using the KallistOS setup guide to set your environment, compiler, and toolchain building.

The next step is to open kos/utils/dc-chain/00README and follow the instructions for building a toolchain for Dreamcast. After that, you have to compile KOS and KOSPORTS (SDL, KGLX,...) with your new toolchain setup. The link posted above to the gamedev.allusion site is probably the easiest. DCEmulation is a great start for encountering compile issues.

The following depends on what compiler you have and what prompt. For my 3DGE environment (by extension, DreamEDGE), I use MinGW and the regular Windows Command Prompt, but I know the Linux shell is more preferred, it's up to you which one you want to use. Lately I switched from MinGW to Cygwin for DC stuff, but MinGW is just as good. Go with what you prefer.

If all is ok, then you can compile DreamEDGE with a simple 'make -f Makefile.dc'.

And there you have it! You can customize which WADS you want by editing the Makefile.DC and specifying from that point. The instructions are in the Readme in the 7z file on SF.net.

Note that compiling regular 3DGE is slightly different as you don't need all of those things (but rather, a list of pre-compiled binaries that the Win32/Linux/Mac ports use). From DreamEDGE, you can also compile for Win32 and Linux, but as stated previously, these versions are different from EDGE 1.36..

Happy compiling! Problems? Report here or to DCEmulation!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Return to “DreamEDGE”