models with multiple textures?

Are you experiencing a problem? Maybe you can't get your scripts to do what you need, or are frustrated by a feature you just can't seem to get working? Let us know about it here and we will try our best to help you out!
Marscaleb

models with multiple textures?

Post by Marscaleb »

Is it possible to set up models to use multiple textures? As in, have multiple material slots.
I did a quick test with an object I converted to MD2, but I couldn't discover anything I could write into the ddf that got a second texture to display on the model.

I kind of brushed it off at the time, but as I'm getting more into creating the character models, I think this is going to be something I want to do. If I could have a separate texture for a character's head, I could do things like change out a facial expression with a lot less overhead.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: models with multiple textures?

Post by Corbachu »

Hey Marscaleb - sorry for the delay here!

Our wiki page on MD2 Models has all the information you need as far
as what commands do what in the game.

If your coordinates aren't aligning, use MODEL_BIAS:
Add this to every z coordinate: MODEL_BIAS=24.0; Useful if you don't want to position from Quake 2's original 24 units in an external editor.

Keep in mind that using more than one material group on a mesh/model is only supported with MD5 models. MD2 and MD3 model
formats can only use one skin + a bright map, a normal (bump) map, or specular map. MD5 can also use those too, but as
far as using more than one skin on a model, it is not possible with MD2. I have been majorly rewriting the MD3 code (since
changes to the model physics for MD5 broke it somehow) and it'll be possible to also attach "links" to the models like you could
in Quake 3/etc, so that will eventually be possible for those who don't like using the MD5 format.

To load MD5 models, remember that it needs to be written as such: testmd5.md5mesh, and testmd5.md5anim. You can also
abbreviate those if you aren't using the PAK/PK3/PK7 format to simply TESTMD5 and TESTMD5A. Then, the engine will automap
all of the required skins for the model that it uses (as long as they are defined in IMAGES.DDF first) -- I've used a model that had
up to 25 materials before, so you can imagine how robust you can make them with EDGE. =)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Return to “Support and Help”