EMUSv2: Collection of tools for EDGE modding

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
Lobo

EMUSv2: Collection of tools for EDGE modding

Post by Lobo »

EMUS is an application composed of several utilities which can come in handy for your average TC developer. It's heavily aimed at EDGE source port modding but I'm sure many tools will be handy for other ports too. More info and download here: http://firstgen.no-ip.com/programs/EMUS.htm

Breakdown of included tools:

FRT: File Renamer Utility
WET: Basic Wad Lump editing
WMT: Wad Merging Tool
LHW: Create a hybrid wad with both HiRes and LoRes images in it
IDT: Images DDF Tool
MST: MD2 model states to DDF
RTS-IDE: for EDGE scripting
DDF Off-Line: Reference EDGE docs
To Do List

RTS-IDE
RTS-IDE is an editor for the creation of RTS scripts (RTS being the Doom source port EDGEs scripting language). Although the original intention was simply to mimic RTS-Online in an Off-line, standalone app, EDGE-IDE has gone beyond that and will be interesting for all EDGE scripters.

WET: Wad Editing Tool
Utility which allows you to open or create a wad and see a list of entries and edit most of them. You can import anything you want as well as create new lumps. It will not allow you to edit lumps it does not recognize or know how to handle e.g. all the MAP stuff.
You can see a preview of most lumps, including MD2 models!
The idea behind this tool was to make a more powerful GUI alternative to DDF-in-wad, not a replacement for XWE/Wintex ;)

MST: MD2 States Tool
A tool that reads all the animations contained in a Quake 2 format MD2 model and then uses them as a base to define the states in DDF. Mainly useful for assisting in the tedious task of defining the animation sequence in the states section of your things DDF entry

LHW: Low/High Res wad tool
A tool to create a resources wad file ito be used in your map editor of choice. The wad will contain both the High Res images(what you'll see in EDGE) and also a Low Res texture (what you'll see in the map editor). Mainly useful for mapping with High Res textures, which in many cases cannot be seen while map editing, making things like texture aligning a nightmare. It takes a folder full of your PNG/JPG images, automatically calculates the appropriate scaling, resizes the Low Res images (and maybe the High Res ones too) and adds them to the wad, along with the automatically-generated DDFIMAGE lump and the Doom Palette. The Low Res images are added as Doom textures i.e. Doom palette applied and added to TEXTURES lump in the wad.

IDT: Images.ddf tool
A tool to aid in the creation of an images.ddf file when dealing with a large number of images. Mainly useful for creating the images.ddf entries after batch importing a lot of .png or .jpg images into your wad. The filenames without extension will be used as the image.ddf entry names.

Lobo

Re: EMUSv2: Collection of tools for EDGE modding

Post by Lobo »

New version just about ready for release.

Changes:
WET: cut/paste wad lumps.
WET: search for a lump. Partial searches allowed e.g. "DDF" will find everything that has ddf in the name like DDFIMAGE, DDFTHING etc
MST: improved the default action pointers when generating the ddf code.
DDF code editor: now has the same Code Snippets feature as RTS-IDE.
DDF code editor: added a colour picker to make it easier doing #99ff00 kind of commands.
IDT: Improvements to interface to make it more understandable.
General: lots of minor bug fixes.

Note that if you have added your own code snippets in RTS-IDE they will be lost in the new version: I slightly changed the format enough so that I broke compatibility. If that's your case, hit me up for a fix. Or just copy the old ones to a text file before updating to the new version, then paste them back in.

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

New version is out!
Grab it from the usual place.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

This… sounds VERY interesting. And here I was thinking EMUS was something to do with music. Me be stoopid. I'll dig into this for sure.

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Heh, someone else said that too!

Why do people think it has something to do with music?
Edit: ahh ok... EMUS.

It's especially ironic since the biggest missing feature is proper conversion when importing sounds 😂

I always think of the big flightless bird myself.

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Next version coming along slowly:

-WET: Vastly improved sounds playback.
-WET: Doom sprite offsetting.
-DDF Offline: docs updated to 2.x compliance finally!
-LHW: Added more options allowing custom scaling and more control over the automatic scaling. Also now allows FLATs processing as well.
-General: Numerous bug fixes.

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

New version released!

Changelog:

EMUS->WET Image Offset editor for sprites and graphics.
-- Handles DDFIMAGE-defined graphics(png) as well as normal Doom.
-- Allows loading a reference image in the background to make offsetting easier for things like weapon flash.
-- PNG images will be displayed using the information from DDFIMAGE (e.g. Scaling, X and Y offsets).

EMUS->WET Automatic processing/handling of DDFIMAGE lump:
-- Context menu options to add image to DDFIMAGE lump.
-- Deleting/Renaming an image lump will automatically update DDFIMAGE.
-- Any pngs used for sprites or gfx will have FIX_TRANS=BLACKEN added to the DDF entry automatically.

EMUS->WET contextual(right click) menu now disables options which don't make sense for the selected entry.

EMUS->WET: Vastly improved playback of SFX lumps (including OGG).

EMUS->WET: Allow duplicate names.

EMUS->DDF Offline: updated to 2.x compliance (Finally!)

EMUS->General bug fixes and GUI improvements

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

New version uploaded.
Mainly bug fixes and improvements to the Graphic Offsetting.

Big thanks to CeeJay for feedback and bug reports.

Return to “Mods/Projects”