Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited (v. 3.0)

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
CeeJay

Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited (v. 3.0)

Post by CeeJay »

For months now, Allied Intelligence has suspected that the German navy has been attempting to construct a nuclear-powered submarine somewhere in the Arctic Circle that would rule the Atlantic and threaten the east coast of the United States. The existence of this submarine, codenamed Seeteufel (Sea Devil), has been confirmed. Reconnaissance photos have pinpointed the site where this sub is being built as a u-boat base in a fjord in northern Norway, and although several spies have been dispatched to this location, none of them has been heard from again. Your mission is to infiltrate the base, rescue these missing operatives, and destroy the new submarine before its construction is completed.

A mod for EDGE/3DGE 1.35 Final or later. Compatible with any version between 1.35 and the more recent 2.10 builds.

Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited is an update/improvement to Laz Rojas' classic WolfenDOOM scenario (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/theme ... d/arcticse) with improved gameplay, all new weapons, enemies, new mechanics, more interactivity, more immersion, scripting, updated textures, level fixes, etc.

19 levels of intensive and plot-driven Nazi-blasting fun, plus one super secret bonus level which can now be reached without cheating.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD (2021): https://www.mediafire.com/file/r2rnsd56 ... 1.zip/file

You do not need any of the files from the original or special edition of Operation: Arctic Wolf to play this.

Concerning the levels:
Spoiler:
I originally had no intention of modifying the levels in any shape or form, however I had to do some fixing to make a lot of them work properly. In the process I also made some minor additions but overall the changes are less than minimum and I take no credit for them. A lot of the new effects and whatnot are achieved through scripting and other means. Levels were created by Laz Rojas for the original Operation: Arctic Wolf.
Credits: (probably incomplete list)
Spoiler:
Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM - id Software
Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior - 3D Realms
Rise of the Triad - Apogee
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Gray Matter Interactive
Original Operation: Arctic Wolf (spec. ed) - Laz Rojas
WolfenDOOM: Blade of Agony - Realm 667
Trench Warfare - thejosh AKA Slyus

Captain J.
Ninlhil
ElectricPulse
ZikShadow
DenisBelmondo
GAA1992 (aka Dr_Cosmobyte)
KFH Games
edgymemester
Dunkelschwamm & YukesVonFaust
Gamebanana
DoomJedi
Nmn

Technical help, support & playtesting - Lobo

let me know if I've missed someone and I'll add them to the list
Last edited by CeeJay on Thu May 13, 2021 12:42 am, edited 12 times in total.

CeeJay

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

Updated first post.

CeeJay

Re: [UPDATED] Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

Made some small updates to the mod.
Spoiler:
* Secret Sector implemented to several maps (map lumps 11,13,15,16,17,19,22,24,25,26)
* Smoke effect added to explosions
* Heart beating sound when health is low (normal and critical)
* Adjustments to the handling of the HUD face (delay time)
* Color indicator for the health digits on the HUD (yellow and red)
* Damage multiplied when stabbing enemies from behind reduced + now applies to hitscan attacks
* Other minor odds and ends
DW: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pdkn65501 ... isited.zip

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Been playing this a lot since the new update, and I like how sniping is a relaxing task. Here is a small caveat - not sure if its anything to do with my settings:

Crosshair and ADS sprite do not match up - it temporarily disables the crosshair which isnt the problem - but the sprite matching up can help us ensure a sharp shot! ;)

This is by far minor; I will continue playing through to for joy and will report anything else out of the ordinary :P Cheers!
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Glad you're like the mod. This was actually one of my larger undertakings so I am glad someone enjoys it.

The "zoomed" version is in actuality a seperate sprite, an enlarged version of the weapons idle sprite with the bottom cut out. I know it's not aligned 100% but I figured no one would use the zoom feature anyways. The whole feature is really ugly and clunky, I really hope it is updated soon with something a little more dynamic and smooth.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Initial post updated 8-)

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

My shiny new video cable arrives today. Guess which Edge project will be the first to try it?
Robotech FirstGen of course! Just kidding, looking forward to getting home to try this!

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

What kind of hook-up is it? I hooked up my laptop to my TV via HDMI years back with mixed results. Still, it was a fun and interesting new way to play DOOM.

Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Dvi from pc, hdmi to tv.

Unfortunately no sound. Graphics card doesnt support that(just found out)😣

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Ain't it strange how we live in the far future of 2020 and it is still a chore to hook up our computers to the TV.

Some cosmetic changes
Next order of business is to do something about that darn title screen.