Heathen v1.1

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
Marscaleb

Re: [in development] unnamed fantasy mod

Post by Marscaleb »

It would be really nice if you could put those DDF files into the wad itself. Otherwise I have to rename the folders in my directory to try this mod.

That being said, I am surprised to find I don't know how to do this. Slade will recognize ddf files in a wad and label them as such, but when I import one it just becoems this unknown type that the engine wont load as a ddf.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Try creating a new lump and give it the name of the ddf you wish to import, **things.ddf = DDFTHING**and import it. It should turn into an unknown lump type. Click View as Text in SLADE and the lump will change into a text definition file, and you can now edit it within Slade. Here is a list:

things.ddf / DDFTHING
attacks.ddf / DDFATK
colormaps.ddf / DDFCOLM
levels.ddf / DDFLEVL
playlist.ddf / DDFPLAY
sectors.ddf / DDFSEC
lines.ddf / DDFLINE
anim.ddf / DDFANIM
images.ddf / DDFIMAGE
weapons.ddf / DDFWEAP
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Marscaleb wrote:It would be really nice if you could put those DDF files into the wad itself. Otherwise I have to rename the folders in my directory to try this mod.
They will once the mod is near completion. I prefer to keep them external while the mod is still being worked on.

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Sure, while you are working on it, but I mean when you release an update, put them in there to make it easier for the rest of us.

You can leave the files in the directory while you work on them and just upload a wad with them in it.

Runsaber, how do I create new lump in Slade?
I tried "Archive -> New -> New Entry" and it just made a marker.

I found that if I edit and then save a file I imported and then viewed as text, it will change its type to "text" but it still does not save it explicitly named as a ddf file like I have seen in other wads.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Sure thing.

Still working on getting the weapons up and ready. The secondary attack for the skull staff did not work the way I wanted, I'm trying to get it to spawn an acid rain some distance in front of the player similar to the power-up variant in Heretic, but I can't get the individual drops to fall from the ceiling in a random pattern. My current plan B is for it to spawn a spirit that flies around and rips through enemies.

Funny how the enemy design seemed to just flow naturally and easily (for the most part) but find myself really struggling with the weapons.

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Reflecting on the thought of packaging DDF's that you are working on has me more eager to see the planned .pk3 file support finished. Since pk3 files are just renamed zip files, it would be much easier to compile everything together.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Got to play around with this today, and I am loving the current build so far. The enemies work very well with the set and the faster projectile speeds up the action and gives an incentive to "staying on the move" :) The BFG replacement is pretty gnarly also, super OP in the fact that lightning rains down from the heavens to crush mortals. The Heirophant is one of my favorite enemies. You coded his evasion and secondary attacks very well!!

The arrow from the Longbow could use a trail of sorts to illustrate trajectory and where it's going. Definitely not necessary however! I have yet to run into Lost Souls and other enemies so I'll throw my outlook on those in a later post.

Also, here are those samples I mentioned: They are elemental sprites I nabbed from Realm667 - I intended to use them in Astral Pathfinder but not only do they take away from that mods setting, I honestly have no use for them. See where they fit in with FD: http://db.tt/r1MXflio

Lastly, this could look pretty awesome with some unique HUD elements. I can put together a health bar and see what you think of it.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Put together something small to test out. Two bars, health and armor:

And here are some screenshots to see how it works. I'll admit, it took longer to do all of this than usual (1 hour) because I was trying to figure out COAL! Lol, in the midst of all the testing I ended up learning the script and how it works. Now we can make more dynamic and powerful HUDs for 3DGE. Check it out:
Note that these do not work and are there just to see it work - and it does!

I've been playing this regularly now and can do any weapon edits if you like. The Hellroot is a very good weapon, as I've not used a firearm that launches a bouncing bomb since Ratchet and Clank. I like the current sprites you have , but if you pick out something you like and want a rework lemme know. Do you have plans to add additional wands and weapons in their slots? I also notice the potential for elemental resistance. I tried using the Ember Wand against a Soul Harvester and he would not buckle down for anything :p

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Tried to create some Dark Storms:

So far it works: but with a few exceptions.

It does not home in onto targets. It goes until it's lifespan is up or hits a wall.
Certain heights render the attack useless due to ATTACK_HEIGHT. Currently working around this.
I may look into the Archvile attack to see if I can create a tracker-type storm effect. Overall, this works and could use a little work.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

RUNSABER wrote:Put together something small to test out. Two bars, health and armor:
Those are great, we need ones for health armor and ammo. So three. I can get it working no prob (see my Marathon mod where I used sliding bars).

EDIT: Could you reduce the length of the bar gauge to 50 or 100 ? And finish up the animation (since you are using some cool light effects that should change as the gauge moves)
RUNSABER wrote:I've been playing this regularly now and can do any weapon edits if you like. The Hellroot is a very good weapon, as I've not used a firearm that launches a bouncing bomb since Ratchet and Clank. I like the current sprites you have , but if you pick out something you like and want a rework lemme know. Do you have plans to add additional wands and weapons in their slots?
My current plan is to fill out the vanilla weapons (9 weapons) and get 'em up and working. Still have no chainsaw replacement and I am not satisfied with the sickle.
RUNSABER wrote:I also notice the potential for elemental resistance. I tried using the Ember Wand against a Soul Harvester and he would not buckle down for anything :p
I am not using any resistance for the enemies, but I was thinking about making the golems immune to arrows.
RUNSABER wrote:Tried to create some Dark Storms:

So far it works: but with a few exceptions.
How the hell did you pull that off? I am aching to see the code.
RUNSABER wrote:It does not home in onto targets. It goes until it's lifespan is up or hits a wall.
Does it need to home though ? If it just spawns a cloud of around 32-64 pixels wide, chances should be high some dumb sap walks right into it.