3HTP (3DGE DHTP) [RELEASED]

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: 3HTP (3DGE DHTP) [RELEASED]

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Sandstormer wrote:Possibly, but it may be quite a ways off because I've been tapped to work on other projects including one that could go commercial (fingers crossed :D ). I'm focusing on improving the overall performance of the model pack at this point so that it runs better. I'm looking at switching out more pick-up models for sprites because those are what seem to cause the most frame rate issues. Weapon pick-ups will remain, but things like health and armor could be indicated with different sprites instead of adding more models for 3DGE to render. I'm thinking about maybe adding in some 3DGE-isms like reloadable weapons. I figure that if it is going to be a 3DGE model pack then it should showcase more 3DGE features.
Good luck on the commercial project. 3dge is having its rendering system rewritten as you know. bright maps, opengl 2.1 compliancy, dynamic stencilled shadows, the works. Somehow md5 is more efficient than md3/2, I'm not certain how that works but there it is.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

jay at DW is reporting a broken .rar

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Thanks! I'm looking into it. I hope to update the pack by adding the panoramic sky boxes back in. I'll most likely use 7z format going forward.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I've downloaded and tested the .RAR file and found no issues, and several others have downloaded the .RAR file and found no issues with it. So, I've added an additional download link to the OP. The link is for a .ZIP download. The file size is larger, but it is an additional option for users with systems that don't support .RAR format.

Note: New panoramic skies are on the way. They will be included in the next update to the pack.

Sandstormer

Throwback Model Pack [WIP]

Post by Sandstormer »

This project is a fork of the 3DGE Model Pack.

I had an epiphany while making these models. They were originally intended to be highly detailed, Counter Strike-like models. However, the only way that the models would've looked good is with an HD texture pack loaded. I realized that using an HD texture pack is fine only if the original mapsets and textures are being used. If any community made mapsets and textures are used then the models will look out of place because the majority of the community's mapsets and textures are not HD. I wanted this model pack to fit in with any mapset and be useable with any mapset, so I scrapped the HD surface maps that I added with Blender Cycles, simplified the models, studied the Vanilla Doom aesthetic more closely, and made new surface maps that attempt to capture that aesthetic. The result is a model pack that is retro-styled and made to be used without the need for HD textures.

I made each and every one of these models from scratch. I have taken a few liberties, and I hope that you don't mind. I changed the shotgun reload animation to something more realistic and less exaggerated. I changed the plasma gun so that it looks a little more like the hyper blaster from Quake 2, and I changed the BFG 9000's surface map so that it fits in more with the other weapons. I gave the weapons a smoky, burned out look so that they feel more like military weapons that have been used extensively. I don't think that any models should appear clean and sterile because that goes against the Doom aesthetic. These are still [WIP], and they are going to look different at release (starting with the pistol :evil: ). I thought it would be a good idea to share what my own personal model pack is about.

Fist:

Chainsaw:

Pistol:

Shotgun:

Super Shotgun:

Chaingun:

Rocket Launcher:

Plasmagun:

BFG 9000:

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

I hope you'll excuse all my nagging on the compression format issue. Us old timers forget that windows can handle the ubiquitous zip format without the aid of 3rd party software for about 10 years now. This of course means that a whole generation of end users don't know about apps like 7z and bandZip, or how useful they are.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah, I remember the WinZip and RAR.exe days ;-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Updated. New link in the OP. Panoramic skies are now added.

Sandstormer

Re: Throwback Model Pack [WIP]

Post by Sandstormer »

Hey Coraline, is there any way that you could merge this thread with the 3DGE model pack; 3HTP thread? I've decided to make the Throwback Model Pack the official 3DGE Model Pack.

Merged by request - Coraline

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I'm not exactly happy with this release, and I plan on rebuilding the project from scratch. Has anybody experienced any bugs or other weirdness with the pack? Please let me know if you run into anything while trying to use this pack, particularly with Plutonia.wad. The reason why I ask is because a colleague of mine tried using it, but the game crashed on map 3 for some reason. Just some notes for going forward with the redesign.