[3DGE] Immoral Conduct 2 RELOADED

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
ryan

Re: [3DGE] Immoral Conduct 2: Riot Instigator SPECIAL EDITION

Post by ryan »

Just tried your mod for the first time with the current master branch of 3dge, what a hoot! Tons of fun with this one CeeJay, I also LOVE Doom4Ever! Thank you for your works! There is literally only one bug I noticed, and it might be to do with changes in 3dge but, bullet casings slide around the floor forever. They can hit a wall, they make 'plink' sound and then start moving in the opposite direction, seemingly forever.

This leads to some funny scenes after unloading some minigun ammo and what looks like insects crawling all around jingling as they go hehehe

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Thank you :)

Not sure about that glitch, it didn't happen in previous versions of 3DGE so i've no idea what's going and therefor I don't know how to fix it.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Latest devbuild: http://www.mediafire.com/file/y43xf7m4f ... CJ-IC2.WAD Still need to be further playtested.

Requires the latest build of 3DGE.

Notable features:

Improved dynamic lighting
Zombiemen and sargeants reload
Partial reloading mechanic for revolver, shotgun and grenade launcher
Alternate attacks for enemies
Interactive scenery stuff (can be used and/or destroyed)
Headshots

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Popped this in with vanilla Doom II. The ejected smoke sprites for the pistols have shadows. For the sake of continuity (because shadows arent a real issue playtestwise) I've decided to disable shadows completely. Cosmetics aside, they don't really matter.

I've played IC2 before, and this version improved significantly on the existing code. Akimbo is beautiful. The use of low-tier weapons as automatics keeps you pressing on until you find better guns. It's very rewarding as a matter of fact. I'd love to see people playing this mod in Let's Plays and giving commentary. It looks like I may have to be that guy when my iPhone comes in the mail ^^

Difficulty has been tweaked a little by the most subtle changes, such as faster projectiles. I LIKE this, the imps dont feel like impaired pitchers in baseball training and are a real threat again. Especially in large numbers. This is where the Combat Shotgun comes in handy. Get ahold of some explosive shells and its over. Another thing I want to point out is the effects. There are beautiful and well-coded effects here that dont break the CPU. Ive had countless sprites on screen and still could move effortlessly. Most notably I want to point out are the gas grenades. HOW, did you code those!!
Those grenades make the Cyberdemon look like a bitch. ;)

The grenades are also a wonderful addition. You can toss them. They explode. You can cook them. They explode :D I'd like to see them bounce, but so far they function fine as they are. We have to generate more attention for this mod.

I am a huge fan of Complex Doom and seeing healing items binded to a KEY is a HUGE STEP FOR 3DGE. The Sentry drone is another healthy addition. I can see this mod with a Goldeneye/Timesplitters HUD to complement the style of the visuals. Big step, keep pushing Ceejay. Last but not least, I admire the coding work for the Mancubi projectiles. THEY DONT KILL MY CPU. They're beautiful. And they fucking hurt. Especially those MKII projectiles :)
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Thank you very much. The new version seems and feels almost finished now.

The shadow issue has been sorted out, because 3DGE/EDGE had shadows disabled until now I never put much thought or care into what should cast a shadow and what should not. But I have gone through it all now. The pick-up items look particularly sweet with the shadows underneath 'em.

All my mods are designed with low-end machines in mind, since that is what I have. You'll notice a lot of stuff will eventually fade away, such as casings and other
smaller things. Also helps with 3DGE's insistens on keeping that terrible obsolete 128-sprites-on-screen limit from the original game (Our computers have a little more memory now than what they had back in '93 and '94).

The gas grenades aren't as complex as you might think, it's an actor that spins around (making use of the TURN state special) all while launching it's attack. I shamelessly ripped the code from IC1 and made tweaks to it along the line 'cos I just couldn't get it working when I did it from scratch. Like I've mentioned before, Immoral Conduct and Don's Challenge are my biggest sources of inspiration. To this day, i'm not sure how he pulled some of that stuff off. The seemingly super complex barrel mechanics in Don's Challenge is a good example. That guy was way ahead of the curve, thinking outside the box like no ones business.

Explosive grenades, as in the type shot from launchers don't bounce unless special ammo designed for that purpose is used. They detonate on impact (and in reality don't arm until they've reached a determined distance for saftey). For bouncing grenades, you have the frag grenade. I had to give them a shorter "fuse" to hide the sliding issue though. This is also why the launchers sec. attack was disabled, 'twas sliding too much.

CeeJay

Re: [3DGE] Immoral Conduct 2 RELOADED

Post by CeeJay »

Came up with a way of getting around the "screen wobble" issue with the melee attacks :)

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

SHOW ME SO THAT I CAN DEACTIVATE IT PERMANENTLY. Is it a Kick=0 parameter?
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

It's hard-coded into all Closecombat attacks I'm afraid. I got around it by making them hitscan shots (with an appropiate shorter range) instead. Say for a couple of minor diffrences, the two types of attacks are the same.