"Blitzkrieg!" Chris' WWII/Wolf3D gameplay mod (2017)

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
CeeJay

Re: "Blitzkrieg!" Chris' WWII/Wolf3D gameplay mod (version 5)

Post by CeeJay »

Mod has received something of a small face-lift.

New blood, gibs and shrapnel effects along with some other cool stuff
Two new enemies, one old was replaced (for the sake of variation and breaking the monotony)
Lots of balancing issues and polish

DW: https://www.mediafire.com/?2go6w18t3h3bgdq

Enjoy!

EDIT: Version 5.0b primarily fixes a level-breaking issue

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: "Blitzkrieg!" Chris' WWII/Wolf3D gameplay mod (version 5b)

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Hey Chris! getting another hypo full of blitz. I did a quicky run , haven't seen any new enemies yet. Still using 3dge 2.0.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Ubermutants and undead skeletons (occasionally spawned in place of the marine corpses) are the new additions.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Loving your modifications!! I'll send you some reports and test it for you here very soon!
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

the undead skeletons are a nice touch. Kind of reminds me of the undead coolies in Shadow Warrior.

CeeJay

Re: "Blitzkrieg!" Chris' WWII/Wolf3D gameplay mod (2017)

Post by CeeJay »

New version up for grabs.

Enjoy!

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

This is a TON of fun!! I think it's rapidly becoming my favorite gameplay mod --
love the vibe of it, and it runs especially smooth in the latest devbuild of 3DGE.

Very nice -- would be perfect with some custom Wolf levels, or even better,
Arctic Wolf =D
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Gave this a run in the latest devbuild for a fun adventure on Storm. Here's my experience with Blitzkrieg:

The last version I played a while back is absolutely splendid. This take the nip and gives it a full tuck; smooth and beautiful sprite tics combined with an array of various dangerous enemies who will not stop until you're dead. The ghost enemy was a really good shock, actually jump scaring me a bit and prompting me to strafe fight in a tight spot! How did you code that floating behavior? One of the most creative 3DGE-defined enemies thus far :)

Any way to rid of the white lines I always see when using PNGs? The only way I might know how would be to use an image editor to index these images. I'm having the same problem when I load pngs into my wads as well.

Check this out: the barrel mechanics. I was able to move an explosive object freely and detonate it wherever I wanted for creative crowd control. This would have been an excellent option in the original Doom but in this case it inspires you to think outside of the box. I like this mechanic! Only caveat is that the barrel's corpse still has a shadow which is weird, or maybe the smoke that remains casts the shadow. There is a way around this, by creating a template based off of the barrel, and turning the shadow off. Once the barrel explodes, you can use DDF to transform the defined actor into something else, with the BECOME(XXX) command.

This mod is perfect for recon maps and has the potential to become something even bigger - the time and quality of the attention paid to detail is most acknowledged and comemorable :mrgreen: The finale at the end was sheer pressure, those soldiers must be on some of the greatest performance-enhancing drugs in the world with that crazy reaction time. That being said, groups are lethal - tread lightly!

Did I mention that I play ALOT of deathmatch in 3DGE? I couldnt help but give Blitz a run, and it's gnarly. I know its not optimized for it, but it was cool to blast Nightmare BJs with the Panzer. I think he's got an XDeath defined but it doesnt show. Also what does the syringe do?

Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I was still not satisfied with some of the weapon sounds, so i'll be uploading a new version. Also working on the new version of Immoral Conduct 2 which will take advantage of the new weapons command for reloading. Among lots of other stuff.
RUNSABER wrote:Any way to rid of the white lines I always see when using PNGs? The only way I might know how would be to use an image editor to index these images. I'm having the same problem when I load pngs into my wads as well.
white lines?
RUNSABER wrote:Check this out: the barrel mechanics. I was able to move an explosive object freely and detonate it wherever I wanted for creative crowd control. This would have been an excellent option in the original Doom but in this case it inspires you to think outside of the box. I like this mechanic! Only caveat is that the barrel's corpse still has a shadow which is weird, or maybe the smoke that remains casts the shadow. There is a way around this, by creating a template based off of the barrel, and turning the shadow off. Once the barrel explodes, you can use DDF to transform the defined actor into something else, with the BECOME(XXX) command.
Ahh, the old barrel-push trick. Came up with that a long time ago (when I was working on Heretic support as a matter of fact). It has its share of side effects.
RUNSABER wrote:Did I mention that I play ALOT of deathmatch in 3DGE? I couldnt help but give Blitz a run, and it's gnarly. I know its not optimized for it, but it was cool to blast Nightmare BJs with the Panzer. I think he's got an XDeath defined but it doesnt show. Also what does the syringe do?
None of my mods are really designed for multiplayer and I don't provide any support, use at own risk. No big deal for me since I prefer playing solo (I was among those who didn't get internet until much later). The syringe provides speed boost, but it might not work in multiplayer.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Here, new version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2go6w18t3 ... -blitz.zip

Features some new weapon sounds, enemies now mumble when idling (useful for detecting nearby foes), the barrel shouldn't leave a shadow behind anymore and the player XDeath has been fixed (was using old sprites that have since been removed).