3DGE64 [WIP]

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: 3DGE64

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Thanks Runsaber, I'm a big tool fan from way back, so I hope barrowing the logo doesn't upset anyone. Probably should find something non IP and with a greatly reduced number of frames.

As for Doom64, I've been watching ytubes quite a bit lately, trying to spot other technology differences between standard doom and 64. Apparently midway did more than just add colored lighting and greater texture depth. It doesn't look like they made use of any of Raven's source, which is a little sad. If only midway would release they're version of the source.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Tool is a blessing, I heard my first song by them in '10 (yeah a little late) and was hooked! I don't think a fan would be upset about the underscore unless they are die-hard radical fanatics! Haha!

Midway doesn't really exist anymore. What was left of it is now NetherRealm Studios while the other studios have been shut down. I doubt we would ever get a source of the modified Tech 1 engine used to create the game, though we can get close by utilizing the power of source ports. GZDoom and Doom 64 EX can replicate Doom 64 very well, with GZ using Transfer Brightness levels to emulate sector gradient lighting. I wonder if you can do this in 3DGE? Doomsday did great, though it's own unique flashy features give the TC a certain charm.

What Doom 64 could have done if Raven's source was used, was implement a hub-based environment. But that would have strayed away from it's level-based progression. But in 3DGE, that shouldn't be a problem :)
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Not certain about the sector gradiant lighting, although there are ways to emulate some of those fx with a few fairly elaborate, old school tricks. Think of a very short scroller with a full brighted texture, with the texture varying from light to dark as it quickly progresses.

Hubs can definately be handled by 3dge, although I was thinking about polyobjects tbh. What little I've seen of D64 gameplay, it looks quakish, with an emphasis on inside levels and puzzles. There's quite a bit that can be done in that department, but I'm not sure how much detailing you want to burden your project with. A classic slaughter map vibe could work well within doom64's hell tainted tech bases.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

UPDATE: Demo of MAP01 is available, Difficulties aren't implemented as of now. Play slow if you want to survive, or speed run for a par time.

Get 3DGE64: http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1426732685

There are 2 secrets on the map, one requiring multiple sequences to acquire the Plasma Rifle. Hint: It's green, and there are four of them. You can interact with one in your barrack as soon as you start. ;) Also, if something nearby seems out of reach, touch a few things around you. Some textures give hints as to what does what.

I'll look deeper into the lighting tricks. Color maps do not allow light variations (static) so this will be very fun to discover. Polyobjs like turbines or generators would be very cool, I can get started on crafting a few for the second map. It'll fit the "submerged" environment perfectly. As far as detailing goes, I'm keeping it a little decent, as to not make the map look too awesome and the gameplay like shit. I've been practicing such a balance for 5 years now.. this is the first year I've let projects come to light. Most of them were Boom maps that were deleted from my old Windows XP system by a family member. I guess DOOM isn't important in their mindset :lol: As far as slaughtermaps go.. I need to play a few. I like carnage.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

RUNSABER wrote:
Polyobjs...

Ernm.... 3dge 3.0, maybe, for polyobjs. Hope we didn't misrepresent the engine. Got some catching up to do. ;)

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Hehe, get to it! Now that Map 01 is finished, I'll take a small break to work on the Wiki. I learned a lot of cool stuff playing around the the DDFs, and I am about to release the configuration files for Doom Builder 2 that it NEEDS to avoid improper sector special usage, i.e. flashing light damage sectors in place of swimmable sectors. I don't know the slightest thing about programming, but since I plan to play 3DGE 64 on the Dreamcast, it's never too late to learn. Is it all basic syntax coding?

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Downloaded and played the first level. This is very impressive, Runsaber! I like how you put a lot of new decorations in there, and they flow very well with the style and feel of Doom 64. I like the fact that the shotgun also has a full animation sequence unlike in the Doom 64 version. Keep up the good work!

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

That map had quite a good bit of polish to it, the layout was very strategically put together if a little tight, although I can't really say I know Doom64 well enough to say if that's good or bad. You've been at this a while, I can tell. Superb work here man! :D

My experiance with ddf is also limited. The few changes I inflicted were easy as hell to pull off though. If you're into dehacked, there is a program that translates dehacked into ddf. 3dge has it built into the exe. but if you want to take a look at some output, there is a stand alone version out there somewhere, probably on the sourceforge file page for vanilla edge.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

@Sandstormer Thanks a ton!! You're totally a bro!! I borrowed those sprites from a Doom 64 WMI pack that was created around the same time Super Doom 64 came around. I wanted to retain the shotgun's pump-action swing from the original, it's too cool to not have. :) I plan to replace the Doom crates with something in the future. I was actually worried that Doom 64's monster sprites would be too big in scale, but it doesn't seem so bad, as long as the level compensates for the size. They are pretty menacing! Do you have any suggestive feedback for the map? I do find the red lighting a bit strong, I'll see if I can edit the colormap to saturate it a bit.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

@3rd_Eye Doom 64's level design is tight in a few areas where there are environmental elements like crushers (expect to see these implemented in later levels conventionally and creatively) I'm glad you digged it at as well! While I'm no grade A mapper along the lines of Mordeth or any of the prominent mappers in the community, I've played their levels. I have a large preference for gritty environment whether it's bases or tech-castles (if that's actually a thing), so I set out to give my levels this signature.

Dehacked is pretty wicked, I used to fiddle with Whacked3 to modify weapons and enemies in a Boom mapset I was creating where the enemies were human and not demons. I have a widdle know-how in its functionality! As time goes on, I plan to learn these things in and out to better the overall development of this project. MAP01 was completely freestyle, no planned flow or anything. It started out as an idea in my head after the test map was completed.