3DGE64 [WIP]

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
RUNSABER

3DGE64 [WIP]

Post by RUNSABER »

Welcome to EDGE64 (previously 3DGE64). This project has been in development since the year of 2015. It all started with learning how the EDGE sourceport worked, and to find a port to modify that had features that were easy to understand and use. DECORATE, ACS and now ZScripting tended to be a bit complicated for my taste back in those years, so after learning DEHACKED from prBoom mapping, I felt it natural to try my hand at Doom Definition Files. 7 years later, I can code weapons, effect behavior and all sorts of things without much need of a reference. Oddly enough, DECORATE became easier to read the more I understood DDF. Back to the mod! I've created a map for 32 Heretics Challenge, released Astral Pathfinder Season One for EDGE, and I'm currently working on Season Two and hoping to help the EDGE Community on a Wild-West themed hub mod called Wanted. Next in the future is a Goldeneye-styled espionage shooter inspired by Timesplitters Future Perfect. Not only is this set an educational map of my progress as a modder, it is a labor of love, pouring from years of studying Doom 64 as a kid and enjoying the atmospheric nature of the game. It is safe to say I LIVED in Doom 64 for 7 years straight. This mod *humbly* exists as a definitive showcase of EDGE's power, next to Aliens and Duke It Out in Doom.

"Story":
Welcome to EDGE 64, a dimension of Doom inspired by the events of Doom 64.
You control a middle rank space marine, hearing rumors of a single man
destroying the forces of Hell and getting back to Earth away from the desolate
emptiness of space. You take your inspiration and pride to the dropship to land
on a research facility that has a time-displacement gate at its peak. Using this
gate, you could theoretically jump through one teleportation destination to the
next. The question is... what lies beyond, on the other side? Only one way to
find out.
Features

EDGE64 brings 3D floors, dynamic lighting, scripted events, and new weapons to EDGE source port. The project has been active since 2015, and is nearing total completion. The mod contains 13 base levels, 3 secret levels and one special level. The special level uses the Skirmish Mode script, a wave-based arena that rewards pinnacle armor and weapons, a good way to grind up weapon upgrades or get armor that you normally cannot find in the base map rotation. An original track by Aubrey Hodges has been remixed from scratch from myself for the mod. Reach MAP32 to hear it. Room over room effects, fading 3D floors, dynamic global scripting, animated title screens and video, sliding doors like gates, bars, and many more features are implemented into this mod!

Weapons:
Spoiler:
Slot 1: Chainsaw. Tried and true. Use this to mince your enemies to shredded meat.
Slot 2: Pistol. Trusty side arm issue and fires bullets.
Slot 3: Shotgun. A break action shotgun favored for its close combat suppression.
Slot 4: Chaingun. Heavy duty rotary firepower that fires bullets. Be mindful of its cooldown.
Slot 5: Rocket Launcher. A demolitionist's dream. Fires rockets. Dont get too close.
Slot 6: Plasma Rifle. AAA-grade UAC poison. Fires balls of arc plasma that melt enemies.
Slot 7: BFG9000. Argent monster machine. Hurls frag energy that vaporizes everything in sight.
Slot 8: Unmaker. A nightmarish union of UAC tech and demon magic. Requires 3 demon artifacts to harness its full power.
Armor:
Spoiler:
Green Armor: Standard military issue for space marines. Recieve 100 points of armor.
Blue Armor: High quality armor with suppression material. Recieve 200 points of armor.
Red Armor: Enforced armor with technical prowess. Recieve 250 points of armor, with 22% resistance.
Purple Armor: Pressed with the highest quality resources from space. Recieve 250 points of armor, with 44% resistance.
Yellow Armor: protection infused with frag energy and solar energy. Recieve 300 points of armor, with 50% resistance.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Recorded Footage:
Spoiler:
Current Progress:

As it stands, the game is near 100% completion, with only a few final adjustments to finale levels and scripted events to account for. This also includes the camera system which will be fully implemented by Beta 3. You can play from MAP01 to the entirety of MAP11 before you're warped back to the main Doom II map rotation. Secret level one is accessible through MAP04, while Levels 31 and 32 are accessible through each other, meaning you must complete MAP31 without dying to reach the MAP32 or else you will be skipped to MAP09 AND lose any weapon or armor progression you earned previously.

Difficulty Implementation:
Some maps have less enemies and different items depending on the difficulty you choose. Rarely, will the placement make a difference, so Hurt Me Plenty is recommended for a first time play through. Ultraviolence is available for a challenge should you choose to play quickly or slowly throughout the game.

Builds, Downloads and Documentation:

You must own Doom 2 in order for this mod to run appropriately.

-Beta 2 is now availble! https://ufile.io/tuw4wxm0
Requires 3DGE Devbuild to run: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/3dge/EDGE ... 31b872b.7z

-Beta 2 is currently unavailable for EDGE Classic. We are working on compiling an exclusive WAD download for this engine moving forward!

Changelog/Debug Information:
Spoiler:
EDGE64 Beta 2 patch notes
-fixed a script that was preventing the player from entering MAP04
-reduced the left and right tracer missiles of the Mark II Revenant by half
-added 7 new weapon upgrades for experimental testing in the sandbox
-new 2 new enemy marine variants: Plasma Commando(Stealth Chaingunner), & Undead Recon (replaces Wolf)
-updated MAP02 from 2015 layout to synergize map routes
-item and weapon placement rearranged for MAP03
-Artifacts placed on secret levels
-Access to MAP07 now available from MAP04 secret route
-generalized a line action on MAP04 to make grabbing the red key easier for controller players
-Reaper has been temporarily disabled
-grenade bouncing code improved
-titlescreen is now animated (Thanks Lobo & Ceejay)
-added DOOM4 Title music as placeholder until custom title track is finished production
-UVFAST is now accessible via Network Start in the settings. Choose Fast Monsters & Item Respawn for Survival Mode
-Skirmish Arena, Hub world for level selection, gameplay loops temporarily disabled
-3D Floors will damage player when they are standing on top of it above a damaging floor. This is an engine related bug and is fixed in Classic
I aim to also answer any questions regarding the EDGE source port from a user peer group. Anything technical and engine-related I can not provide help for.
Last edited by RUNSABER on Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:43 am, edited 11 times in total.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: 3DGE64

Post by Corbachu »

Use 3DGE 2.0.0, that's literally using the same libraries and features that the Dreamcast version is using. We are still working on the Dreamcast port, and I don't think you want to use 1.29 because that's ancient history by now. ^_^

This mod is freaking awesome though! It warms my heart to see more and more mods coming forward for 3DGE, like a second wind that I needed. This is what really motivates me to keep going! If you haven't checked out Hypertension, give it a looksee (it's by my own development team) ;)

Anyways, this is great. Personally for internalized DDFs I use XWE, but I'm just oldschool like that. I don't use SLADE unless I'm importing/exporting LUMPS, but for me personally I duplicate the doom_ddf folder and create a BATCH to point the -ddf to another folder so it can be external. Having internal DDFs is just too much of a hassle and editing them is much easier through Notepad++/Notepad, but that's just me =)

Don't forget to check out the 3DGEwiki if you get a chance, as well. I'm constantly working on it and so far it's replaced everything but EDGE's own RTS website.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Thanks a ton, Corbin! I downloaded 2.0 the MINUTE you guys released it and had a blast. I'll definitely replace the current version with it right away. XWE is ancient, but if I can find a working version of it, I'll definitely use it. The editors either need updated configs for 3DGE, or it just needs a stand-alone editor :D

I'm glad to be using this port and it has matured so quickly in the past year since development began. I'm a huge fan, so keep up the fantastic work, you're molding a new generation of game designing!

I bookmarked the Wiki due to Doom Wiki/a linking to old EDGE websites and forums, even searching "3DGE Documentation Wiki" won't yield any search results. Thank you for responding, I will be frequently updating this project with new images and progress!

My next game, I plan to make a Hunter from the Metroid Prime series have his own story-line and perspective!

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Wow, this is awesome, Runsaber! I'm looking forward to playing this when it is released!

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Thank you Sand, now that I got the base of the game coded, the rest comes to mapping! Would you like to be a playtester for a 3-level beta?

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Sure! I'd be honored to help out!

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Holy crap these latest batch of screenshots are looking AWESOME Runsaber! I also adore the logo :-P

May I suggest you replace the SKY patches with actual Skyboxes? It would help make this mod more amazing, from a 3D perspective, than it already is ;-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Thank you! I have not slept yet, it's been 40+ hours since I began mapping after coding. I think I will give myself the little rest I need to work another day (tomorrow) :lol: It has a Perfect Dark feel, and the letters magically corresponded with one another. Logo design and promotional artwork is my forte' outside of slaying demons.

YESS, I need to add them very badly. Sky textures just end up butchered by 3DGE. Is it possible to define them in DDF? I could probably find a decent skybox of space, or make my own. Decisions!

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

@RUNSABER: Great screenshots, love the lighting! I've never played doom64 before, I'm certainly looking forward to your iteration of it. Keep those screenies coming!
The banlist has been updated successfully.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

@3RD_EYE Big hugs to you, man! Wicked name btw ;) I played Doom 64 extensively as a child coming up. My dad had the PSX version, and while that one was fun, D64 just stole my heart and attention. It was the newer weapons, monsters, music, and environment. Playing games like Dead Space and Metroid Prime have a heavy influence on the mapping style for this mod. As the levels progress, they become bigger and require you to break comfort zones with platforming, puzzles and swimming! I don't want to reveal too much, the screens will do that for me! Map 01 is almost complete, with monster placement being done now while I make additions to the Tutorial section in the Wiki.