3DGE Model Pack v1.3

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
Sandstormer

Re: 3DGE Model Pack; 3HTP

Post by Sandstormer »

Sorry for the mini hiatus, but I've been very busy at work. Super mega ultra thank you to the Doomenator for letting me port his AltDHTP to 3DGE, and for the Sauerbraten community for helping me with skyboxes. This will free up more of my time to work on the model pack(s)...That's right - more than one. It was pointed out to me that replacing all of the models in the 3DGE model pack with my own models and still referring to it as the 3DGE Model Pack is kind of pretentious and self centered, so I decided to split up the project. The 3DGE Model Pack will be a community project with contributions from various authors. My own model pack will strictly be my own models, sort of like Sitters' models or Abbs pack. I'm toying with the idea of converting all animated models to MD5 while making all static models MD2. I'll see where it goes. Anyhow, the 3HTP is nearly finished at this point. 3DGE does not have support for PK3 at this point, so I made a single WAD for the flats, and I made four individual WADs for the textures of each IWAD. I figure that this will make the downloads much smaller in lieu of putting the flats in each individual WAD. I am playtesting and correcting image sizes at this point, so a release is imminent. Here are some screenshots for the time being:

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Crazy good stuff here Sandstormer! Glad you've returned. Those sky boxes are beautiful, but why do you think it's pretentious to be the sole 3d modeler?

Zip support of some sort isn't far away, I'm uncertain if .0.2 will be the one, but by 0.3 certainly. I wish 3dge could stay with a non proprietary format like 7z but pk3 is owned by ID. So it's probably okay.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

It was pointed out to me by other devs and other modelers that putting together a pack like this should be a compilation of many artists instead of just one. If I'm going to make a pack that is filled with my own models then it should be a separate thing that does not bear the name "3DGE Model Pack" because such a name indicates that it is a community effort and not an individual effort. That, and I can take far more creative liberties if I'm doing something separate.

Latest update - All of the WAD files are done at this point. I am playtesting and bug fixing everything, and I hope to be able to release both the 3DGE Model Pack v1.2 and 3HTP together by the end of the week. I may have to drop the panoramic sky boxes or release them as separate WADs due to the 3HTP having such a large download size (I'm not a fan of stuffing WAD's to the hilt, but that is what we have to work with).

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Sandstormer wrote: Latest update - All of the WAD files are done at this point. I am playtesting and bug fixing everything, and I hope to be able to release both the 3DGE Model Pack v1.2 and 3HTP together by the end of the week. I may have to drop the panoramic sky boxes or release them as separate WADs due to the 3HTP having such a large download size (I'm not a fan of stuffing WAD's to the hilt, but that is what we have to work with).
Great to hear a release is pending. As for the wad file thing, compressed file support is being worked on, might even make the 2.0.2 release. Seriously not wanting to make promises on that one, but it's within the realm of possibility. I'm hoping for 7zip or even Kzip, just to avoid confusion with pk3, but Coraline will choose for the best I'm sure.

Sandstormer

Re: 3DGE Model Pack v1.2

Post by Sandstormer »

v1.2 is finished. Download link is at the top of the OP. Please report any bugs that I didn't manage to fix :D .

Random Screenies:

Sandstormer

Re: 3DGE Model Pack v1.2

Post by Sandstormer »

New version has been released. See OP.

Sandstormer

Re: 3DGE Model Pack v1.3

Post by Sandstormer »

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been really busy. I underestimated just how busy that I would be while working with Deep 'Shark Studios and helping them make assets for their new game. It has truly been an amazing (and humbling) experience working with an indie dev team and learning the ropes of the videogame industry proper. I've had to learn Lightwave as part of their production pipeline, and I've had to learn it from scratch very quickly, which has meant lots of late nights. I've learned so much new stuff, and it has led to me revising my own personal pipeline in the name of efficiency and making better work overall. I look forward to applying everything that I've learned to 3DGE and bringing the higher expertise. I'm still working with Deep Shark, so I won't be able to update as often as in the past, but rest assured that I am still working on my projects for 3DGE too, and I will release new stuff whenever I get the chance to.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

That is so awesome to hear Sandstomer! It's wonderful that you've chosen to stay on as a member of our humble little group, especially after making *the big time*. I've dl'ed your latest and can only hope for more.

3dge has had to simplify goals after flirting with quake3 bsp for a while. Hopefully we'll be seeing a new release soon, complete with OPL for sound.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

lol, definitely! I love working with this sourceport. It has an awesome community, and you, Coraline, and CeeJay have been nothing but nice and helpful. Even if I were to lose interest in Doom, I would still work with this sourceport to produce original work. I look at Slave and Hypertension, and it reminds me that 3DGE is so much more than just a different way to play Doom. I'm really loving the direction that 3DGE is going. So many neat things have been added in with so much more to come. I just hope that you all don't get burned out with trying to update 3DGE and finish Hypertension at the same time.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Another update - the Throwback Model Pack will officially become the 3DGE Model Pack. I've made the decision because I want all of my 3DGE projects to have their own unique, 3DGE-specific identity instead of only being ports of other projects from other sourceports. I also feel really bad about taking things made and optimized for other sourceports and trying to shoehorn them into 3DGE with (predictably) bad results. I don't want this to be a dumping ground for other projects done in other sourceports. So, next release will feature all new models made from scratch by yours truly. I have several models done, and I will post updated screenshots soon.