3DGE Model Pack v1.3

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: 3DGE Model Pack; 3HTP

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Yesss! Are those flats models or hi-res textures?
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Thanks! The flats are textures I've made by using real life photos. Is it possible to use models in that way for 3DGE? I used a sky model to do sky boxes in Doomsday Engine, would it possible to do that in 3DGE? If so, then it would do wonders for my sky boxes!

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Mesh Test: HUD Chainsaw with placeholder texture. I had to rework the animation because it started giving me motion sickness.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Not certain about flats, it's a safe bet that 3d models probably wouldn't work. My shaky understanding of old school edge was quake2 style skyboxes. Don't quote me though.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

You are correct! I did some snooping around and it turns out that 3DGE does support Quake 2 style skyboxes. It requires a texture to be defined in IMAGES.DDF for directions "N, S, E, W, T, and B" with a "FORCE_CLAMP" special for each individual texture. I will overhaul the skyboxes for the 3HTP with this new knowledge!

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Progress Report: HUD Weapon Mesh Tests (with placeholder textures)

HUD Fist (I'm reworking this at the moment):

HUD Pistol:

HUD Shotgun:

HUD SuperShotgun:

HUD Chaingun:

HUD Rocket Launcher:

HUD Plasma Gun:

HUD BFG 9000:

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Sorry I missed this Sandstormer. It's great to see the models progressing. Tell me, have you run Runsaber's latest with any of the model packs? I got significant slow downs, even with the low poly one.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Yes indeed, and I've been looking into it. I plan on scrapping the 3D models used for projectiles and explosions, and replacing them with Hi-Res sprites to cut down on the number of tris being processed and displayed in real-time (The plasma gun makes the game lag if you lay onto it for too long). There is also this weird glitch where there are candlebra's being displayed everywhere and models clipping through walls. This is the main reason why I've decided to try to rebuild the pack from the ground up. There are lots of little things that were optimized for Vavoom, but they don't really translate too well to 3DGE. I'm trying to use simpler meshes because they will A) cut down on the amount of tris and make the game run smoother and B) make the download size a little more manageable. I'm planning to get rid of the extra models used for muzzle flashes, as well.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Sub-forum within a sub-forum has tricked me yet again. Any chance of a 16bit texture pack, for us lowest of the lowballers?

*asuming they're all 32bit*

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I'm definitely trying to keep everything as light as possible so that less people will be locked out due to technical requirements. The textures will be as CPU friendly as I can make them without potentially sacrificing quality. I'm shooting for 16-bit 8-) .