3DGE Model Pack v1.3

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
Sandstormer

3DGE Model Pack v1.3

Post by Sandstormer »

v1.3:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j8s7i ... 287z%29.7z

3DGE Model Pack v1.3
10/29/15

Compiled and Edited by Sandstormer (Sandstormer83@gmail.com)

Latest update of 3DGE Model Pack. This release features several minor fixes as well as an updated gore system.

Installation:

- Unzip the contents to your 3DGE directory. Drag and drop the 3DGE Model Pack v1.3 File onto the 3DGE executable.
- Turn off interpolation and dynamic lights in the video options for better performance.

Changelog:

- Added: New sprites for the Health Bonus and the Armor Bonus.
- Added: New gore system with a decal hack that I've been testing out. I'll probably expand it in the future.
- Added: Doom 3 slop sound to match the new gib animation.
- Fixed: Scaled the Zombieman, Shotgunner, and Chaingunner models so that they have proper proportions.
- Fixed: Scaled Shell Box model so that it has proper proportions.
- Fixed: Animated the Shotgunner's walking frames properly, and animated the Chaingunner's firing frames properly.
- Fixed: Made the timing on the Super Shotgun's reload frames better so that it animates more smoothly.
- Fixed: Made the Muzzle Flashes Translucent to fit in more with 3DGE's stock muzzle flashes.
- Fixed: The Revenant and Mancubus skins have been darkened so that they look more like the vanilla sprites.
- Fixed: Dialed back the blood on the Manucubus death model so that there is a hint of flesh and weapon instead of only gore.
- Fixed: Made the corpse fade more gradual so that the models don't suddenly disappear.
- Fixed: Changed the sprites for the Super Health, Invisibility Sphere, Invulnerablity Sphere, and MegaSphere so that they are a little more aesthetically pleasing.

Starters:

- Download 3DGE at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/
- Buy Doom Classic Complete at: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18397/
- Hard times? Strapped for cash? Then download and support the Freedoom project at: https://freedoom.github.io/download.html

Tech Talk:

It is a very good idea to make sure that your computer has the recommended specs that Coraline listed on the 3DGE Wiki:

- Pentium-class 1.0 GHz CPU or faster (1.2 GHz recommended for modern modifications).
- 128MB RAM (512MB RAM recommended).
- Hardware accelerated 3D card with OpenGL drivers. Should be at least a Voodoo, but you'll need better, especially if you want to use dynamic lights along with the models.

Future Plans:

- This is probably the last version of the model pack that will feature MD3 models. Future versions of 3DGE will drop MD3 support entirely, so all future updates will use either Doom 3 MD5 Mesh format or Half Life MDL format.

Credits:

- Sir Juddington and Wilhelm Sitters for all of the models.
- Dreadopp for the Power Orb sprites used for the Super Health sphere, Invincibility Sphere, and Megasphere.
- Blue Shadow, Id Software, and Raven Software for the Skull Orb sprites for the Health Bonus and Armor Bonus pickups.
- Ghastly_dragon and the Skulltag Team for the Invisibility Sphere sprites.
Last edited by Sandstormer on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

gameblabla

Re: 3DGE Model Pack; 3HTP

Post by gameblabla »

So, I've been working on a project that involves porting the Vavoom Doom model pack to 3DGE (with proper permissions, of course). It seems that every high end sourceport has at least one Doom model pack except for 3DGE, so I wanted to help make a 3DGE model pack a reality. I've finished the weapons and the weapon pick ups, and so far everything runs fine. I'll keep everyone posted on the project as it moves ahead. I'm also learning how to use gimp to work on textures, so a high res texture pack could be in the works, as well.
Can't wait to get my hands on it, you have all my support.
I'm surprised that no one has thought about doing this before.
Don't suprised, because no one cares about EDGE/3DGE and all the cool kids are using ZDOOM now.
I mean, just look at how many EDGE//3DGE projects there are out there :
ZDOOM has plenty of WAD/TCs out there and 3DGE has nothing. (except Hypertension and SLave of course)
ZDOOM also has more advanced features (ACS scripting, slopes ...) and EDGE/3DGE is perceived to be unstable and
i've got to say that even my little project crashes sometimes with no warnings.
Surprisingly, when i compiled and ran the Linux version, i encountered no crashes at all.

There's also a lack of documentation for EDGE/3DGE and 3DGE badly needs to have its own website.
(I guess 3DGE will have its own website after Slave will be released)

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

First of all, this project is awesome. I can't wait to see what comes of this, this port has needed it for so long now.

There are indeed mods for the engine in development: Abrasion by Kronos (utilizing the MD3 code), Doom Forever by Chris Mullen (CeeJay), and a sequel to the [[Marc A. Pullen (Fanatic)]] mod QDOOM. That QDOOM 2 project stalled a little but it's still getting a wee bit of attention.

3DGE supports slopes, on both floor and ceiling, too.

There is a documentation effort in the form of the 3DGE WIki (http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki) that I'm trying to work on in between SLaVE, Hypertension, and 3DGE. I'm trying to get some older EDGE users to hop on and help me with the documentation efforts.

This project, though, could be the first step in resurgence that this port has seen in YEARS, though. With both SLaVE, Hypertension, and the engine receiving some nice updates (interpolation, etc) it's only going to get better, and user interest is already increasing, even at Zdoom. So let's all hope for the best ;)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I appreciate the positive feedback, and I can't wait to get this finished and released. Weapons and weapon pickups are done, though I may tweak the weapon flashes so that they look more accurate during interpolation. Items and keys are done, as well. I plan to finish the ammo and start on the monsters today. Scenery will be completed after the monsters. Oh, and screenies - I'll be sure to get some screenies up when the core models are finished.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yes please, I'd love to see some screenshots of this in action! =)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

All of the base models have been converted, and all of their DDF's have been completed. Now, it's just a matter of tweaking a few things here and there before releasing the official port. Screenies as promised:
Last edited by Sandstormer on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Some truly excellent work here, who did the oringinal model pack for Vavoom? Also, these are in md3 format, correct?
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

The original Vavoom model pack was compiled and edited by SLayeR226 (who I can't seem to contact because every email that I've sent to him/her keeps saying that their mailbox no longer exists). It is actually a compilation of multiple artists such as Edmundo Bordeu from ACE Team, AklashPahk, John Frank, and Alex-bomber_Man (all of whom I've emailed but haven't gotten any replies recently. *Frustration :cry: *). Most of the models are from the Generations and Son of Generations mods according to the readme.txt file in the Vavoom model ZIP.

These are all MD2's because it is a direct port. I thought about maybe going back in and converting over to MD3 format, but then I just wanted to get something released for the community. I may convert everything over to MD3 in a future update. I'd also like to make a totally original model pack that uses MD3 or even MD5, so I am weighing my options and considering work flow at the moment.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Hmmm, Have you tried to contact the authors on various doom forums? An open thread at dw, realm667, and zdoom might do the trick. This is too good to risk release without permission.

It might be an interesting test to try all of the 3dge model formats to see which performs best, assuming you have the time for that kind of work of course.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Finally found a working email :D ! Now, we play the waiting game.

Return to “Mods/Projects”