3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Corbachu
Site Admin

EDGE 2.0.4 Final Released!!

Post by Corbachu »

Ok guys: first drop of 3DGE 2.1.0 TEST1. I am not going to put this release on blast since there are still issues (see below).

If possible, use your current EDGE2.cfg since resolution swapping in-game is broken.

New things:

* SDL2 support (input, video, controllers, networking)
* OPL music synth. You can now remove the 8MBGMPAT folder and skip using Timidity altogether. If OPL is not selected, just set it as the active music device and restart the map. Also can select OPL3 mode.
* DDF math and engine math has been refactored and sped up.
* Better glBSP building.
* Better interpolation handling.
* Much smaller EXE under VS, smaller zip package since we no longer need to include GUS patches.

Test2 will have:
* grAb chunk recognized for PNG, so it will use those offsets if defined. Just leave offsets out of Images.ddf if you are using those (defined in SLADE).
* PAK file handling.
* PK3 archive handling.

Broken things:
* Screen melting (either turn it OFF or swap to a different one in Screen Options). For some reason Visual Studio broke that where GCC would not.
* PAK/PK3/GRP: able to load in cache and read internal directory contents but not scan for lumps yet.
* resolution handling
* Other oddities (shift+X works in the console, but not all characters translate properly, like Tilde, but we dont use it anyway). Also, console blinking for input came back (haven't seen it working for years)!

Also, pull the console down and type:
Spriteflip 0

You will quickly see why. :S

Download Link:

*REMOVED*
Edit:
It was not derived from the most recent codebase, so this is going to be pulled for now.

Have fun, and hope you can see how hard we are working for our users!! I would not yet recommend it being used for everyday playing, unless manual resolution defining is not a problem for you. Everything has been improved from 2.0.4 aside from that.

Do not forget to report bugs! This is critical since we want the first official release of 2.1.0 as bug free as possible!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Re: 3DGE 2.0.4 Final Released (4.26.2016)

Post by Sandstormer »

I'm looking forward to the next release, and thanks for all of the hard work that you and the team are doing with 3DGE!

Corbachu
Site Admin

3DGE 2.1.0 Test1 Released!!

Post by Corbachu »

Ok guys: first drop of 3DGE 2.1.0 TEST1. I am not going to put this release on blast since there are still issues (see below).

If possible, generate a new edge2.cfg and edit your resolution inside of the file, as a lot has changed that will require a clean config.

New things:

* SDL2 support (input, video, controllers, networking)
* OPL music synth. You can now remove the 8MBGMPAT folder and skip using Timidity altogether. If OPL is not selected, just set it as the active music device and restart the map. Also can select OPL3 mode.
* grAb chunk recognized for PNG, so it will use those offsets if defined. Just leave offsets out of Images.ddf if you are using those (defined in SLADE).
* PAK file handling.
* DDF math and engine math has been refactored and sped up.
* Better glBSP building.
* Better interpolation handling.
* Much smaller EXE under VS, smaller zip package since we no longer need to include GUS patches.
* Tons of serious optimizations.

Test2 will have:
* PK3 archive handling.

Broken things:
* resolution handling
* Other oddities (shift+X works in the console, but not all characters translate properly, like Tilde, but we dont use it anyway).
* r_Spriteflip

Download Link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/f ... .0/Test-1/

If you get errors about missing DLLs, you might need the vs_redist_x86 installed:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

Have fun, and hope you can see how hard we are working for our users!! I would not yet recommend it being used for everyday playing, unless manual resolution defining is not a problem for you. Everything has been improved from 2.0.4 aside from that.

Do not forget to report bugs! This is critical since we want the first official release of 2.1.0 as bug free as possible!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

I've got it running, although only after cheating and putting the dlls. in manually. Installing the msvc2015 you linked to didn't get the current build going, but it did get that first alpha release functioning, so I'm doing something wrong with the updates, either that, or dl'ing the ms dlls manually at the beginning threw the ms installer off.

Both versions of 2.1.0 played through doom2 level1 without issue.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I managed to load up 2.0.4 on a higher-end laptop (Win10) and goodness gracious - the new specs and functionality are top-notch! Playing at max FPS with Interpolation and VSync on is an amazing experience!!! So far, I havent caught any bugs as of yet on that other laptop, as I'm back to using my own low-end machine on 2.0.2 still. I heard great news on that Hexen-styled ACS coding and I'm very excited to get busy on that version when it drops. I've been DEF'ing nonstop writing new code from scratch for monsters and pushing the capabilities to the limits.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Glad it is working out for you!! Improving this engine the way we want will raise system requirements a little, but not by a mile or anything =)

Runsaber: I packed a mod you had made (Damned) and Sandstorm's Doom Reloaded into 2.1.0 test1 (in the /mods folder), check it out if you'd like!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Nice, and thank you very much for the updates! When I ran it at the maximum, 3DGE was pushing power that I had no idea of it possessing!

By the way, you may want to update that very soon.... DAMNED V.09B drops TODAY!!
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

3rd_3ye wrote:I've got it running, although only after cheating and putting the dlls. in manually. Installing the msvc2015 you linked to didn't get the current build going, but it did get that first alpha release functioning, so I'm doing something wrong with the updates, either that, or dl'ing the ms dlls manually at the beginning threw the ms installer off.

Both versions of 2.1.0 played through doom2 level1 without issue.
I have the resist DLLs in my VS folder that I build with, but distributing a bunch of DLLs seems a little strange. What DLLs did you end up cheating with? I could potentially make a list and find the redist for each of them, and pack them in a new folder /redist, so users wont have to hunt them down.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

vcruntime140.dll
msvcp140.dll
api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

I hope you'll understand the sequence of events on this, because at first, adding the above individual dlls to the main folder didn't work.
I got the insider 2.1.0 alpha and couldn't get it functioning, just the load screen with the node building. I would search for the dlls listed in the error messages 1 by 1, which only got me to the main menu (new game, options, etc.). Then the crash would come back with a kernel error (faultv000000.00000 etc). About that same time you did the beta release with a link to ms for a runtime update. Installing the runtime update got the private 2.1.0 alpha working, but not the public release. On a guess, I dragged all the dlls from the private alpha2.1.0 to the public beta, and then they both started working, so I'm not even exactly sure what those individual dlls did, if anything. Just for giggles, windows 8 was upgraded to windows 8.1 in the middle of all this.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

The problem is that the KB2999226 (Universal CRT) which is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 failed to install.
That might have been it. Looking at links online, all of those DLLs should come included with the Visual Studio Redist (x86) -- those heap and crt DLLs are part of the new debugger that I have included into the release builds. It makes it extremely easy to debug past, present, and future builds -- as long as they are compiled with VS.

It would make sense that you were having issues, especially upgrading from 8 -> 8.1. When that's finished, upgrade from 8.1 -> 10 (it's worth it).

Anyways, just thought I would mention that, ^_^
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ