Walls, floors, what's the difference.

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.
Marscaleb

Walls, floors, what's the difference.

Post by Marscaleb »

There are two (conceptually) simple things I would like to see added to 3DGE.

One, I would like to be able to use any size of texture for a floor. I could tolerate requiring the texture to be square, but I would really like to be able use a larger texture like 128x128 to have a larger design on the floor/ceiling.
EDIT: To be clear, I am not talking about just applying a higher-resolution texture to the same space. I mean to apply a larger texture with the same texel-depth so that it covers a larger area.

Two, I would like to be able to just add any texture to any surface. If I make a nice tile, I would like to be able to arbitrarily apply it to either a wall or a floor, without having to duplicate it in the wad to make it both a flat and a patch.
I have seen Doom 64 EX enable this feature, and their custom version of Doom Builder works with this understanding as well. (Although, they still require the floor textures to be 64 x 64.)

And then I have one not-so-simple feature I would like to see, related to these ideas.

I would like an ability to adjust the UV projection on a sloped floor/ceiling. Specifically, to either match the projection with the angle of the slope, or to match the projection of the walls. The whole reason why is because I would like to have some floors/ceilings be sloped very sharply so that they look and function more like a wall that is sloped a little bit.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: Walls, floors, what's the difference.

Post by Corbachu »

Hey there! Lots of things have changed with the addition of the UDMF map format :-) I will update this post to reflect what amazing features it has brought us.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

Can't you already use any size texture as long as it's png or jpg? I thought the size restrictions were only for Doom format graphics. BTW, the size restriction on 3DGE is currently 4096x4096. I know this as a mod I tried recently crapped out with the error message that the texture was too large (it was over 4096 wide!). We might consider bumping this to 8192x8192 since 8K textures have been the standard for Hi-Def for the last five years at least.
Not really dead, just pining for the fjords.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

ChillyWilly wrote:Can't you already use any size texture as long as it's png or jpg? I thought the size restrictions were only for Doom format graphics. BTW, the size restriction on 3DGE is currently 4096x4096. I know this as a mod I tried recently crapped out with the error message that the texture was too large (it was over 4096 wide!). We might consider bumping this to 8192x8192 since 8K textures have been the standard for Hi-Def for the last five years at least.
This is a good idea -- something I wanted to extend for quite some time now =)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ