Release Discussion

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: Release Discussion

Post by 3rd_3ye »

RUNSABER wrote: ...the player can retrieve a cog or gear of some sort, take it to the area where it is missing and activate it using the action key. This would be a wonderful addition for puzzle-based play, which one of the levels in my mod will utilize as you bring keys back from the real game to the alternative realm.
Have you tried Temple of the Doomed By sitters and Abbs? It's a really nice HD map set with models all over the place. Too bad Risen3d is so finicky to set up.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

http://youtu.be/evge_M66OHk

I'd much preferred to have embedded this vid, but 3 browser crashes later and I'm tired of fighting a cheap smartphone.

It's a little early to be counting on polyobjects in 3dge. Still, lighting fx are not what comes to mind when thinking about them, so I posted the above.

I'm nearly certain dynamic lights could do the same trick, but anywho.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Everything's set for 3dge 2.0.2 except bugs and what's to be put off for next release. I know, I knoooow that this is stupid-late, but it turns out sonic robo blast, based on an old version of doom legacy, has limit removing polyobjects.

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/PolyObject

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

3rd_3ye wrote:Everything's set for 3dge 2.0.2 except bugs and what's to be put off for next release. I know, I knoooow that this is stupid-late, but it turns out sonic robo blast, based on an old version of doom legacy, has limit removing polyobjects.

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/PolyObject
To be fair, they are limit removing due to the ability to cross sector lines and have player ride a moving platform. They're still wacky though, with addresses down in the hundreds and the lack slopes in any screen shots (maybe these are old?) Also srb2 requires zenode for level construction.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Based on recent blahs down at blahbook, Coraline just cooked up a really nice batch of inventory system for HOD. So no need for weirdly bound action keys or what not in heretic.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

3DGE 2.0.2 test build bug fixing edition

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Alright all you happy Doomers out there, this is a code tightening/error busting editon of 2.0.2 released by Coraline today.
No new features here, please abuse this to the most sadistic levels possible and report back.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/f ... 2.0/2.0.2/

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

So, I've attached an image that shows what the new lighting engine does to 3D models/textures/etc. I had described it a few posts up.

As you can see, this shader calculates the light at different angles to textures. It will look more impressive on 3D models, but it also does the same for stock DOOM patches as well. It's being integrated into the rendering engine as I type, and is OpenGL 2.0 compatible only. So if your card does not support it, the engine will not activate the feature. In other words, we are not forcing it upon the userbase.

In addition to this small sample, normal/specular highlights, and bump maps will become available. This will all compliment the new lighting and shadows code that will eventually make its way into 3DGE 2.1.0.
Attachments
bob2.png
bob2.png (493.54 KiB) Viewed 15170 times
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Yowzers man! =s It looks like that spritelamp someone posted at another forum several days ago. Wow, 3dge with another graphic layer! Modders will eat this up!

I hope all my hand wringing in another thread didn't make you feel as though you had to show something. I mean, my onboard gfx chip from 06 will certainly run opengl 2.1 stuff (mine ran hl2). Even cheapoid budget cards from 08' will try to, that wasn't my concern. It's the thought of having 2 vastly separate development builds that concerns me. Most gl ports with a software renderer had to dump the non- hardware exe., it was too much to keep both renderers updated.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

@everyone else: It's okay to celebrate this. Opengl2.1 is roughly equivalent to directX9.c, so if your gaming hardware was made after 2003, it will be able to deal with the new stuff more than likely.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

It isn't maintaining two ports - it's only adding an OpenGL 2 layer is all. It's all integrated into the code - even on the Dreamcast side. It will only initialize if it detects your card can handle it - case closed. =)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ