Release Discussion

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: Release Discussion

Post by Corbachu »

Yay so polyobjects are implemented! Just writing out the DDF stuff (in lines, sectors(?), and things) and it will be complete. Just a quick update.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

So...DECORATE.

I'm guessing that the implementation will be limited at first as DeHacKeD is really only useful for modifying existing things, correct? Also, will the translator make it into dream3dge?
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah the translator will make it. Decorate isn't a huge priority, getting something like ACS working (sort-of) is more important.

Polyobjects are down to the final hour, I've created articles at the 3DGEWiki discussing how to set them up, among other fixes. Here's a WIP changelog for 3DGE 2.0.2:

Code: Select all

+ Polyobjects are supported in Hexen map format, based on the Vavoom 1.10 implementation - uses Zdoom polyobject IDs. See:
  http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/Polyobject
  - Hexen format polyobject IDs are not supported yet - they will be in the next release. For now, use ZDoom types.

+ Finale screen bugfix: no more black screen when ending a DOOM 1 episode, emulates original DOOM behavior (verified, thanks ajapted)

+ DDF fixes: Chainsaw attack_range (thanks JD), Cyberdemon/Spiderdemon sfx

+ Further dehacked tweak to ignore duplicate entries in dehacked lump if it exists

+ Palette for pain greatly decreased - this matches Radiation suit logic now (thanks Ceejay!)

+ Interpolation for projectiles (varying height mobjs)

+ Simple Decorate parser (might be removed???)

+ Started first steps for full ACS/DDF/RTS interpreter
Still adding onto this so don't take the changelog as "completed" until it actually gets released. Only my development team is getting to test polyobjects until we are 100% sure they will work for everyone.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Ohhh! ohhh! ohhh! Will there be a demo map with the public release? 3dge got away from edge's demo map practice because geometry/bsp changes have largely been bug fixes.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yes -- I'm planning on releasing revamped demo wads to the Wiki as soon as the polyobject implementation is finalized.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Amazing work with the latest release, Coraline! It runs nice and smooth, and I like all of the new features that you have been adding. I especially like all of the new modeling formats that you are adding - I'm like a 3D modeler in a candy store :). Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to this source port!

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Thank you so much =)

Polyobjects just have a sort of "bug" in the angle detection so as soon as I solve that I'll release 2.0.2!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

:geek:

One last good word to put in for Heretic's *not-quite-original* inventory handling. At some point 3dge1.37 had extra action keys set up. I've recently learned that several heretic players bypass the default behavior and simply bind inventory item activation to keys of their choosing. Why not temporarily bind action keys to inventory items? I know the default behavior is what's desirable, but if most players avoid the default inventory setup during combat anyway, why not embrace the standard user hack until a more permanent solution can be coded? Hacky though it may seem, it is closer to heretic than treating inventory items like pickup items.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

How do you bind action keys? I would love to create a small test map to see how this works. If this is the case, the player can retrieve a cog or gear of some sort, take it to the area where it is missing and activate it using the action key. This would be a wonderful addition for puzzle-based play, which one of the levels in my mod will utilize as you bring keys back from the real game to the alternative realm.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Bind them through the controls menu.

From the documentation:

Code: Select all

two "Action" buttons which can be set in the Keyboard Controls
  menu and tested by RTS and COAL scripts, as follows:

RTS:   ONCONDITION ACTION1

COAL:  if (player.is_action1()) { ... }

(Use ACTION2 / is_action2 to test the second button)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ