Release Discussion

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Corbachu
Site Admin

Release Discussion

Post by Corbachu »

Hi everyone, thought about starting this for release discussions.

3DGE 2.0.2 is coming. It will mostly be a bug fix release:

1) Simple DECORATE -> DEHACKED translator has been integrated (will be replaced with DDF converter)
2) DDF bugs fixed (thanks jdredalert)
3) UDMF map detection (next big version will completely support standard UDMF map format)
4) glBSP to support UDMF (most likely a loose merge with ZDBSP for UDMF)
5) Red Pain palette effect greatly reduced (for pain, berserk, etc); matches radiation suit logic
6) RTS bugs fixed

Along with this, 3DGE Builder will support UDMF map format in 3DGE, but that'll take a little bit.

Feel free to have any discussion about current, past, or future builds here.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: Release Discussion

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Does UDMF automatically mean polyobjects?
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Not at the very moment (I wish though!); I'm implementing basic support before integrating more Hexen features. I am currently working with someone who is interested in integrating Hexen ACS and Polyobjects, but nothing solid there yet or how long that could potentially take.

More bugs fixed, like the END SCREEN limbo bug that has been persistent for a long time (thanks to Andrew for the guidance for fixing that).

I'm also integrating support for PAK files in 3DGE and a basic MOD player from very old versions of GZDoom. I've also integrated Theora (for video playback) that runs on top of Ogg Vorbis. Also, true Wolfenstein 3D support (maps, graph datas, etc). I am also trying to change the slope code to support vertex heights but that's proving to be a major bitch.

So basically, I'm doing the smaller stuff while other programmers tackle big features.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Okay, so doing any of this map format "extending" would require polyobjects, so I've bit the bullet and worked on them.

It is not finished yet. I have successfully added them to 3DGE's renderer, so now it's just a matter of getting the mobj_ stuff working for the actual polyobjects. This means I will need to add entries into THINGS.DDF and make sure they are spawned correctly. Still a lot of work to do, but this is a base implementation of them, which means that it doesn't support any Zdoom-style polyobject, more like Hexen-style polyobjects.

I might extend the format, but I have to finalize it first. When this becomes available, I'll put out another version for you guys to test, and build a new copy of 3DGE Builder with Hexen format. I have also written a MAPINFO loader, but it'll be converted to DDF and not read straight (something like how the deh_EDGE converter works).

For the curious, I've bounced around between Polyobject implementations over the course of two weeks, and I settled on a method Vavoom had to render them back in version 1.10 (from 2001 I think), so technically, it is Vavoom's most basic implementation.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

I know you're aiming at vanilla polyobjects for now, but can 3d floors still be used for the actual object? Also, will acs be able to make coal/ddf calls?

What did you think about prboom+'s polyobjects? They're still only available in a test build.

*Was hyped about seeing a dynaseg folder in 3dge :_{ *

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Does the test build have source code to go with it?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Coraline wrote:Does the test build have source code to go with it?
Probably not, although the search function at dw is all 404 for me and the pb+ homepage search wasn't helpful. That leaves chocolatedoom, which runs hexen generally, doomsday (jhexen), or delphidoom which uses pascal.

https://code.google.com/p/delphidoom-en ... loads/list

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Okay, those are some pretty poor choices. I still hope you find something useful here.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Seems it was merged with PrBOOM+ already, but no helpful code there. Vavoom still comes as close as I had planned for them. Just a little longer. . .

In the meantime, I think I have fixed interpolation, but I'll have to test it. I think the biggest reason some releases introduce and squash bugs is that I don't have testers to iron everything out for me. And, having ADHD like I do, can seriously affect things like this when I'm not aware of them. Just sayin'. =)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Coraline wrote:Seems it was merged with PrBOOM+ already, but no helpful code there. Vavoom still comes as close as I had planned for them. Just a little longer. . .

In the meantime, I think I have fixed interpolation, but I'll have to test it. I think the biggest reason some releases introduce and squash bugs is that I don't have testers to iron everything out for me. And, having ADHD like I do, can seriously affect things like this when I'm not aware of them. Just sayin'. =)
That VGA person over at zdoom is the
monstarr when it comes to testing, heck, he's single handedly caught about half the rendering errors in the last 3 releases. A pm to his account requesting a beta testing position would be in orderIMHO. Chronoteeth/cj might help too. I think your adhd May help you in some ways too though. Making you stay focused on a problem or forcing you to consider something else.