An EDGy blast from the past.

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
3rd_3ye
Community Manager

An EDGy blast from the past.

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Update: 07/17/2012

Well, as usual I end up doing things bass ackwards. Now that I'm running out of EDGE videos, I think It's time to put the thread in perspective. EDGE was a great port that explored some of the limits of what Doom could do. First to have a separate, modifiable game code file, (a.k.a. DDF) edge was also an early adopter of true 3d floors and other experimental enhancements, such as such as 3d vision, rendered shadows, and others. Edge programmer Andrew Adapted and his precursors set out to give gamers a different kind of doom port and for the most part, they succeeded. While setting the bar is some ways, EDGE fell behind with age, and without the help of a large, dedicated team of coders, never really caught up.

The enhanced Doom Gaming Engine will probably never have polyobjects or an uncapped framerate. RTS has fallen behind Decorate, ACS, and other scripting languages. Oh, it's entirely possible that others will modify the the engine to suit there own needs. Still, the time has come to concede that edge has stopped evolving, at least for the near future. So try to see this thread as a tribute to the imaginations of everyone who loved that *other* port derived from Dos Doom. Hope you enjoy the following videos.

This might not be the best place for such a thread. Anyway, here's some youtube footage of edge loading and running in Dreamcast.

The banlist has been updated successfully.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: An EDGy blast from the past.

Post by 3rd_3ye »

man I wish we had youtube tags. :(

Anyway, here's an early prototype of 3DGE by Corbin's old Hypertension team. This will never be released, unless Atari has a change of heart.

And to celebrate youtube tags, the last video sample before HT shut down

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Time for yet more edginess. Back in the early days, when Edge was little more than a polished version of DosDoom, Marc A. Pullen put together one of the early T.C's for quake called QDoom. There is an ongoing effort in the Zdoom community to create another Quake conversion utilizing the greater features of that port. Until then however, there is Qdoom. Personally I have to use cheats to progress through the levels due to a SLIME[map too large] error. The guy in the following video doesn't have that problem. Enjoy the heavy rifts from Marc himself.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

A great look into one of the coolest mods ever released for DOOM at that time. QDoom really blew a lot of people away, as even Zdoom wasn't even advanced enough to do what that mod did.

Sadly, I had a feeling Hypertension would've been along those lines had it actually been released.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Corbin wrote:Sadly, I had a feeling Hypertension would've been along those lines had it actually been released.
No doubt of that fact from me. I had the recent pleasure of playing what Zblood+'s team has been working towards a few months ago. We were light years ahead of them despite the greater technical limits you and Fiend had to wrestle with. While I admire their work, I'm starting to think ACS/ Decorate must be harder to work with even if they offer more powerful tools compared to RTS .

Anywho, It's time for another EDGE installment. Doomed Again was a simple but incredibly beautiful mod for Edge from Agar, who even developed his own "Wolfenstein- like" map editor for edge. using Hi-Res sprites, the mod was a big hit in Nov. of 2009. Unfortunately for us, Agar gave up after the first Alpha release.

And a little extra. Hey, Doomed Again is fun to watch!

SexyXeno

Post by SexyXeno »

Doomed Again was looking freaken awesome. I hope the author picks it back up and finishes it one day. Rarely have I seen Zdoom projects reach that level of detail. The maps were simplistic but it sure looked good!

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Sorry for the wait SexyXeno. I didn't know I had moderator powers :[

I was debating posting this next Youtube as it hardly has any sound. Doom 2.5 was a major project aimed at retelling Doom 3 via EDGE by Dartmerc. With lots of scrpting and bot interaction, I'd say Doom2.5 succeeded nicely.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Well alrighty then.

Here's one that's awaiting its final release from Kronos; aBRAISION, which promises to ad quite a splash with sneak up kills and the like.
Just watch the youtube. It speaks for itself.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Youtube tags are now implemented - you only need to put the code tag, like this:

[youtube]{anything after the = sign}[/youtube]

Anything after the "=" sign would be like this:

lwwwilIlS9U

Wrap that in tags and you are ready to go.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Thanks, I'll see what I can do on some of the old posts first. Can't miss hyper or Doomed Again footage!