An EDGy blast from the past.

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: An EDGy blast from the past.

Post by 3rd_3ye »

The mod that set the stage for EDGE was Don's challenge. Now please accept my apologies as there are no good videos of DC showing off the unique death animations or the area effects such as burning gasoline. I'll post both videos I found so you can get a peak at what play is like. Understanding that none of the maps shown are for DC, I think you enjoy the game play anyway.

The banlist has been updated successfully.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Just a quickie this time around.

This is a vid from an unreleased edge wad by *DeimosComaBlack*. Don't ask him to release it in the comments or he'll let you have it. I think he made this as more or less of an experiment.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Nick Perrin is the monster modder behind Marines of the UAC. Lots to love in this teaser trailer from "07, including some of the earliest use of MD2 models in EDGE.

I was wrong on the MD2 models. See post below.
Last edited by 3rd_3ye on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mispelled stuff

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

The following was added to the original post:
Update: 07/17/2012

Well, as usual I end up doing things bass ackwards. Now that I'm running out of EDGE videos, I think It's time to put the thread in perspective. EDGE was a great port that explored some of the limits of what Doom could do. First to have a separate, modifiable game code file, (a.k.a. DDF) edge was also an early adopter of true 3d floors and other experimental enhancements, such as such as 3d vision, rendered shadows, and others. Edge programmer Andrew Adapted and his precursors set out to give gamers a different kind of doom port and for the most part, they succeeded. While setting the bar is some ways, EDGE fell behind with age, and without the help of a large, dedicated team of coders, never really caught up.

The enhanced Doom Gaming Engine will probably never have polyobjects or an uncapped framerate. RTS has fallen behind Decorate, ACS, and other scripting languages. Oh, it's entirely possible that others will modify the the engine to suit there own needs. Still, the time has come to concede that edge has stopped evolving, at least for the near future. So try to see this thread as a tribute to the imaginations of everyone who loved that *other* port derived from Dos Doom. Hope you enjoy the following videos.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Here's one of the first preview videos I ever did for Hypertension, back in 2008 when it was just standing on its own. It wouldn't be for another year that the game took on an identity of its own.

I am Locutus wrote:Nick Perrin is the monster moder behind Marines of the UAC. Lots to love in this teaser trailer from "07, including some of the earliest use of MD2 models in EDGE.
His mod predates MD2's in EDGE, what you are seeing is good ol' 3D floor trickery.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Aww dang, I fell for the chopper sprite at 0:24 secs. Silly me.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Hah, he did a VERY good job at it though, back then it was an eye-opener.

Not to bluff, but I think Hyper was the first mod to take advantage of 3D models to a large degree.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Corbin:
Not to bluff, but I think Hyper was the first mod to take advantage of 3D models to a large degree.
That might have been CQB for edge, which there are no youtubes of.

Anyway, it's time for some EarthBound Doom, in which it's totally cool to kill things with a frying pan while being the least bit naughty. here's the training map. Everyone say hello to Hissy (Dissy!?!?), Doom's unofficial mascot. She's the trainer btw.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

I am Locutus wrote:Corbin:
That might have been CQB for edge, which there are no youtubes of.
If you want to speak of a released mod, sure, but I still remember being an early adopter of 3D models, and showing them off before people in that community really took them a step farther. CQB took advantage but at the heavy cost of framerate. I was able to find a perfect balance of polys on screen at any given time. You should know - you played it :D :D
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ