3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
CeeJay

Re: 3DGE 2.0.3 Released!

Post by CeeJay »

Great!

Playing around with it now...

Menu looks good at first glance. What's "goobers!" :?:

I am experiencing some slight lag during gameplay, I did turn dynamic lighting off and lowered the screen resolution to 640 by 480. EDIT: nevermind

Also, why is the crosshair so tiny, I can just barely see it. EDIT: nevermind

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Great job on the new release, Coraline! I like the new menu colors, and the new opengl mode is very interesting. I noticed a slight performance hit with the last version of 3DGE model pack, and that is understandable seeing as how most of those models were made and optimized for another source port altogether. I'm getting great performance with the all-new models that I have built, though. Also, what are goobers?

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Enable goobers and restart the current map :-)

Also, Sandstorm, are you using OpenGL 1 or 2 for the model pack? Try them both and see if performance improves. Also, with this release, you can use bumpmaps, specmaps, and brightmaps on model skins :-)

Not sure if its relevant yet, but I disabled SSMID compiler optimizations in the new release, so it might explain the performance hits -- when I find out, I will build another executable with those enabled.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Ah, so that's what goobers are. That's actually pretty interesting. I'm getting the performance hit in opengl mode 2. It's more of a slight hit, but it is noticeable. Otherwise, things work fine. Spec maps and bump maps are a must when I finish adding additional layers of detail to the diffuse maps. They're really going to make the models pop 8-) .

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

A question while I remember...

How exactly are the smoother ticrates (0.0f) supposed to work practically?

Example:
STATES(ATTACK)=PISG:A:0.5f:NORMAL:NOTHING,

Would this make it display at half a tic? I tried this but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Ah, crap, I removed that from this release as it was causing problems for me. It is on the TODO list, because the previous way of turning them from a short to a float was causing issues with the overall frame timing. It is being looked into, no worries :-)

SDL2 branch is coming along, I temporarily removed the ability to change resolution but so far the event handling with input controls are responsive and working much better. Also vsync is much more responsive.

How do you guys like the centered HUD text? Next release will have a cvar to bring it back to the left...if you guys want it as an option.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I like it centered, but I wish there was a way of getting rid of that hard-coded scaling. No matter what resolution I have set, some of the fonts end up looking squashed. Another thing that would be cool would be if multiple texts could be placed on top of each other and ultimately fade away (instead of just vanishing) like in ZDoom. This makes it easier to keep an eye on what you have picked up.

This guy makes a few comments about mouse support https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEEhZNCnT3w
Could be of interest

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

2 years of this android bullshit, and all I have to show for it is yet another ruined post by android's freeze happy text editor. Time for some real internet.

3dge 2.0.4. is available at the 3dge sf page.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Still haven't got 2.0.4 working :(

Anyways, just thought I'd point out that the text-crawl screens still can not be skipped and "PRE/END.TEXT_WAIT" DDF command continues to be non-functioning.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah, I am writing all new code to handle finales, including new DDF handlers.

What isnt working? Are you setting r_vsync to 2 every time you start? Even if its already set, you need to set it anyway through the console, something about the buffers not updating automatically -- SDL2 already has issues with it, too. Embarassing vsync code...but passing it everytime you start should alleviate your problems. If map reloads and it stutters again - set it back. Dont go through the menu..
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ