3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
Gorin

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2 Released (8.22.2016)

Post by Gorin »

Uh-huh looks interesting that this project got resurrected. never thought it would happen.

For the 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2 Linux version it requires the library libcpuid.so.13
Well I tried to find that and I compiled the libcpuid thing, used "sudo make install" for the library too. But no success 3DGE can't find the package.

Putting those library under /lib seems to fix it.

So far under Linux Mint 18 the Sound/Music works fine (OPL, PulseAudio).
Using the OpenGL 3.0 (2nd mode) render all sprites to 100% black despite my GPU supports OpenGL 4.1 . Funny enough the dynamic lights appears fine.

My only complaint is that the game "stutters" a bit, I don't have such issues on the newest GZDoom SVN.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah, those are known issues as listed in the /docs folder.

Make sure r_vsync is set to 0 and r_maxfps is set to 0. Should run smooth as butter. You arent playing on a laptop, by chance, are you?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Gorin

Post by Gorin »

Oh, I missed it. I recalled that EDGE did have this function properly by now, hmm whatever I guess my memory was fuzzy on that one then.

I set the r_vsync and r_maxfps both to 0 and well it does make things a bit smoother and doesn't has a strong "hiccup" anymore however it is spelled.
No I am not using a laptop/netbook, I am using my Desktop. with 8GB of RAM and 3.5 GHZ 4+4 Core/Threads, intel type.

I guess I have to try later again with the Nvidia driver as the nouveau one isn't known to be performant.

Thanks for the tips. .

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Glad to be of assistance :-)

I guess the defaults for Linux are still the old ones - under Win32 they are all fixed up and set properly. ^_^

You mentioned you were surprised that the engine is still in development - were you an old-school user of EDGE?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Gorin

Post by Gorin »

Also I forget to mention I had another 3D program running I forget to turn it off while running EDGE, my bad.

Well I did played a few maps with the QDoom mod based on the old EDGE, which had a music from Marc as a background instead of Iwad one. But apart from that no I didn't used EDGE much however I did checked back then a bit more often just to see how the development goes and seeing if had different features compared to Zdoom, which indeed it has.

I am surprised that you have alot of Model format supports and even planing a PSK/PSA one! Compared to GZDoom which is still stuck with MD2,MD3 and DMD format and lack of bump map among other things.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yes, our renderer was very well designed and easy to add things like that -- I still say that it has the best renderer/hardware ratio of all the other GL ports ;)

Adding IQM, PSA/PSK, and finally OBJ here very soon as well.

I also think that apart from all the ZDoom based ports, and Eternity, that EDGE is superb for modders ;-)

Thanks for the kind compliments!!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Gorin

Post by Gorin »

Sounds great.

ye, EDGE does seem to make nice progress lately. What I absolute liked is that you added a Sprite Sheet support.That sounds very handy and would enable the mod projects to be less cluttered. The EDGE does
sound very interesting to "toy" around with it, which I might do when I have more free time. I have already quite a few experience with ZDoom/Zandronum anyway so it shouldn't be too hard for me.

The Eternity engine huh? to me it looks like rather "rough" and not so well developed, and the website is not even maintained at all. Well on the other side it doesn't seem to have any mods or maps yet or none that I am aware of it yet so I can't tell much about it. Well at least the SVN page of it is still frequently updated.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yeah, but Eternity has a lot of really cool features in the works. I've even heard some Doomers call it the "ZDoom-killer", but of course, it'll take them awhile to establish a solid userbase. We have the advantage of being around much longer, not to mention the plethora of mods, tutorials, etc. I am really happy that the modding scene is coming back, because this is an engine that you can really tweak out, if you know how to be creative ;) IMHO
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Gorin

Post by Gorin »

hmm I have looked the Eternity stuff again for a bit more, Well from what I have read/seen that does seem indeed a good gap-solution between PrBoom+ and ZDoom.
I can imagine it very well that it is a "ZDoom-Killer" when it comes to Vanilla/Boom maps and the DeHackED/BEX stuff. Asides from that I am not so sure.
The EDF format seems to allow for easy conversion between DECORATE but it's missing quite a few actions states. Like A_JumpIfInventory and what else. But none the less it does
allow for conversion, so porting a ZDoom mod over Eternity Engine is a tad easier but not complete.
Coraline wrote: but of course, it'll take them awhile to establish a solid userbase.
The Doomworld forum seems to be pretty active so there is that, 2 pages are from 2016 with good amount of replies. It doesn't seem to mean much when there is hardly any mod or maps using alot of Eternity Engine
features.
I found about only 6 wads on the idgames site which specific mentions the Eternity engine (De Kerker (The Dungeon), Long Days, Waste Vats, Lunatic, Valiant. maybe there is more but I missed them then.
Coraline wrote: We have the advantage of being around much longer, not to mention the plethora of mods, tutorials, etc
That is indeed undeniable true. The several mods it has now and in the past does showcase the capabilities of this engine.
I really liked how the Mini-Doom64/EDGE64 did with the maps with all the colorings and lightning, which gives a nice atmosphere and makes the map feels less "bland".

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Coraline wrote:EDGE is superb for modders ;-)
Couldn't agree more :D

When it comes to sheer simplicity (as in understanding) ZDoom's decorate has nothing over EDGE's DDF. It's quick, simple and (mostly) self-explanatory while still being surprisingly powerful. Perfect for non-programmers and lazy blokes (like moi). I know a little about the workings of decorate, but in all honesty, I find it a bit too confusing for its own good. I've been modding since about the second half of the nineties and seen the progress of not only EDGE/3DGE but the community as a whole, all the ports that have come and gone. I am so pleased that the two ports that mean the most (yes, I said it) are still around and still being updated, these are of course EDGE and ZDoom while all the others such MBF, Boom, Doom Legacy, Doomsday, etc. are but a memory now (though Boom does certainly have a historical significance). I just wish there were more EDGE projects.