3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
CeeJay

Re: 3DGE 2.0.2 Released!! (scroll to bottom)

Post by CeeJay »

No, I didn't actually.

Two things I noticed off-hand: Text crawls/screens can no longer be skipped for whatever reason and END.TEXT_WAIT (LEVELS.DDF command) still does not work. I hate to be that nitpicky guy but these are things I noticed and feel I should report.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

No, they [text screens] cannot be skipped anymore. It was a problem with the responder chain so in the meantime I disabled it. DOOM II cast screens work like normal. I will implement a proper fix later on, but for now, the black screen of death took a higher priority than being able to skip it quickly. Sorry! At least there's no odd black screen anymore...that was annoying me! Maybe I will work on that code tonight or tomorrow and send you the results ^_^

The END.TEXT_WAIT command is still busted. I am considering just removing it altogether. I am brewing up a new method of rendering end level screens for 3DGE users that you should find interesting. But for now I simply cannot, for the life of me, figure this out. The code was changed with 1.29 and porting it upstream would require changing a lot of stuff for little gain. Rather than waste my time on it, I will just create new code that can handle it. So it'll take a little bit =)

2.0.2 was originally supposed to have more in it (even polyobjects were working), but at the end of the day I decided to make it almost a pure bug-fix release simply because the new stuff was taking far too long, and those bugs were getting to me. I'm hoping the next immediate fix I can bring will be repairing the interpolation. I also brought a DDF addition, a minor one, from Doom Legacy - landing on FWATER flats will cause a sound effect to play "DSGLOOP". First steps toward some sort of "Terrain.ddf".

The next big thing for 3DGE will be 2.1.0 and up. It will drastically change the renderer in 3DGE. In addition to requiring OpenGL 2.0 for more "advanced" operations (an automatic extension check will decide this upon program start); we are speeding things up with the addition of stencil buffers (most of these will remain 1.1 compatible). This means decals (decals.ddf), dynamic shadows and a "sun" (3d models), and stuff like environment maps (specular, bump mapping, etc). That has barely started, though. 2.1 will also bring Polyobjects, real inventory management, non-uniformly lit 3D models, and shadows for sprites (planar shadows). Also lasers, wall glows, improved skies, and all that neat stuff. Also hoping to fix the bad texture alignments on stock rim_* textures, improving portals that can be shot through, vertex-based slopes, full SPLINE camera paths, and much improved bot code. Also two-player will work properly (finally).

I'm expecting not a lot of projects to take advantage of these new rendering features simply because they are being developed for Hypertension, specifically, which utilizes all of this stuff in a survival-horror atmosphere. However, my team will still take lengths to ensure they can be used with Vanilla EDGE projects as well.

And please don't fret - this project will still remain OpenGL 1.1 compatible. If your video card cannot handle the new stuff, it will simply be disabled. We are not going to raise the requirements to GZDoom or Doomsday levels.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Alrighty, that answers my questions. That all sounds freaking awesome, a terrains.ddf is something that probably should have been implemented long ago. I think the "secret found" message and sound should be located in there.
Coraline wrote:And please don't fret - this project will still remain OpenGL 1.1 compatible. If your video card cannot handle the new stuff, it will simply be disabled. We are not going to raise the requirements to GZDoom or Doomsday levels.
Thank God, was a bit worried there for a moment. My computer rolled out of the factory sometime in 2005, it's old but just won't die. I will be getting a new one when either it breaks down or I have the money to buy a brand new one.

Another possible bug: with the previous version of 3DGE (and possibly even earlier) the game would crash and bump me back to Windows when I fall from greater heights, this is notable in EQUINOX.WAD map03. No message and no indication as to why. It appears to not happen in 2.0.2 or its one of those random things.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Coraline wrote:And please don't fret - this project will still remain OpenGL 1.1 compatible. If your video card cannot handle the new stuff, it will simply be disabled. We are not going to raise the requirements to GZDoom or Doomsday levels.
Kinda sorry to hear that opengl 1.5 line is going to be surpassed. I had hopes that, even if dream3dge and regular 3dge were never going to be compatible, they would at least stay close graphically. directX6 and glide both had fake environmental mapping (shogo/unreal) I'm sure there were other gfx tricks that could have been adopted. jp trespasser had bump mapping in 98? Yes, it's true!
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

It is only natural. OpenGL 2.0 is going to be much faster and easier to do really nice effects. Things like [for instance] the mirrors, that used GL clipping planes, will be completely replaced by a more modern implementation, which will be unlimited in the fact that you could see more than 5 subsectors at once(ish). Means we can have true portals, wholly-lit models which means a day/night transition could be possible, among other stuff. Just to give a few examples.

I will finish out the current 2.0 as soon as possible and try to fix as many bugs as I can.

As a side effect, upgrading the subsystem to OpenGL 2.0 (if present) should really speed the renderer up even faster (means that it can render better, bigger, more expensive maps). I'm not sure I will let users choose this - if your hardware supports 2.0, then it'll use it. 1.X and lower will only be utilized if the requirements are not met (Dreamcast, low-end computers).

The Dreamcast is still getting what additions we can backport (such as shadows, decals, etc). Even if the rendering system surpasses it, I will still implement all of the client-side DDF stuff for the Dreamcast regardless. So it'll have the same functionality on that console.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Jayextee

Post by Jayextee »

I don't know if this is known (feels somehow like it'd be an old problem) but when playing through TNT Evilution, a couple of lines didn't work as they should; switch at the end of MAP16 - Deepest Reaches is supposed to descend stairs to the exit, it did not. Also the spiral staircase to the red key on MAP30 - Last Call did not build high enough; yet the smaller but similar staircase behind the red door does.

Oh, and the cast list didn't work correctly; was stuck on Zombieman.

Yeah, I'm kinda playing through stuff right now with 3DGE... :D

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

I'll get to those bugs ASAP - thanks Jay for the feedback! I wasn't aware that fixing DOOM's finale screens broke DOOM II's - guess I should have tested that further :S
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Jayextee

Post by Jayextee »

Also, and I'm not sure of the specifics because it happens in Perdition's Gate MAP30 and one of my own maps featuring a suicide exit, but sometimes maps involving Voodoo dolls kill immediately upon map start. I'm guessing the player spawn acts like a teleporter, including any duplicates? (The voodoo dolls in question)

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Yes, VooDoo Dolls are broken in 3DGE (and were also broken in EDGE proper) starting with version 1.29. I'm not sure what has changed since then, I marked it as a long-term goal. So for now, unfortunately, any map that uses them in that way will be broken. Not all of them are - just Dolls that have certain conditions.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Just released 3DGE 2.0.3, which is much improved over 2.0.2 IMO.

Please read the changelog and browse through /docs if you encounter any issues or have questions.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ