Sprites with black spots

Report bugs in this thread. Please
1) Have a copy of your DEBUG.TXT or EDGE.LOG and attach to post.
2) Screenshots or examples do help -- steps to recreate the bug are very encouraged.

Sourceforge Bug Tracker #1
Sourceforge Bug Tracker #2
Github issues tracker
CeeJay

Sprites with black spots

Post by CeeJay »

When using graphics (sprites) with their own custom palettes (not PNG images but DOOM gfx with custom game palette) I get strange black spots on some images, it seems to be related to a single color getting replaced with a black one or something. This issue has been around for a while.

EDIT:
You can see stray black and blue pixels on the sprite. The sprite itself does not look like that, it's just in-game.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: Sprites with black spots

Post by Corbachu »

Try running this again, but with the command line switch "-modpallete", and see if the black spots come back.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Made no difference. Worth mentioning that I'm using two seperate WADs, one with the custom palette and one with none (default). I would use PNGs instead but the grab feature appears to be broken (I use SLADE to offset the images, 3DGE seems to just ignore it) and I would rather not resort to having to manually offset every single sprite with IMAGES.DDF.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

CeeJay wrote:Made no difference. Worth mentioning that I'm using two seperate WADs, one with the custom palette and one with none (default). I would use PNGs instead but the grab feature appears to be broken (I use SLADE to offset the images, 3DGE seems to just ignore it) and I would rather not resort to having to manually offset every single sprite with IMAGES.DDF.
Load your mod with the grab offsets again. If you minimize 3DGE completely, and look at the console window (the one that looks like a DOS prompt), you should see something like this:
"Got grAb struct: [nameofimage], X, Y
If you can copy that from the console window and paste it here I can track down your issues. Because I use grAb in a few places, and I get the proper offsets applied. Are you using the latest
Devbuild?

But please try and see if you can do that for me, that way I can be sure grAb is being read correctly in your mod.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

I have the same issue. I was posting about it here: http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2601
Though I got torn away from 3DGE for a while and never went back and replied on that thread. Plus I think at the time I was guessing this -modpallet command was a new addition and I didn't have the latest version, since it did nothing. But I've tried it with the dev build and it still does nothing.

The problem is index 247, which is a pure black in the original Doom pallette. For some reason, even though 3DGE loads a new custom palette correctly for 255 of the colors, it always keeps 247 as a pure black, just like it is in Doom.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

I thought about disabling the hardcode and just see what happens. Once I do that, I'll upload that EXE in this thread.

I don't remember why it was clamped to that, though. .
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Just an update, I'll be pushing a build that fixes this behavior with a CVAR for testing :-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Hooray!

Happy to see this issue resolved at long last.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Still encountering the issue, but I have a good idea about what might be happening.

Can someone send me a test WAD/PK3 that shows it clearly visible? Want to fix it in DOOM before ROTT.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Is this still an issue with the recent builds?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ