3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds (DRDTeam)

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.
RUNSABER

Re: 3DGE 2.0.4 Final Released (4.26.2016)

Post by RUNSABER »

2.0.4 & 2.1 Test Build Report:

Turns out my machine can run 2.1 very well, if anything it is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the last build whereas I can play smoothly with max settings and in fullscreen via VGA! This thing runs like BUTTER! I am extremely hyped and wanted to let you all know how a fine job this port is turning out. I managed to come across 3 bugs, well plausibly 2 as the other is probably just current logic.

Bug #1: Came across a Cacodemon that randomly becomes gibbed as if were crushed by a crushing celing. Occurred on MAP05 of Doom II near the Yellow key. It happened twice in this area in the cranny which leads to the secret behind the exit. Tried replicating it but to no avail.

Bug #2: Loaded up DAMNED and defined fireball trails were horribly offset while standard sprite trails worked fine. Technically this is not a bug as I'm sure its how the current build handles PNGs, and that mod makes a fair use of them.

Bug #3: Music/sound bug with the pause key. Music returns after unpausing, yet sound is still janky and returns after the map is cleared.

Overall, my true hype comes from that new OPL emulation. I felt like I was running through DOS Doom, that funky bassy punch from UDoom's music is pretty dope! Had an 32X feel to it but better! Fantastic addition! The interpolation has greatly improved and 3DGE64 and Astral Pathfinder run smoothly as well with the exception of a few slowdowns from dynamic lighting use. I'm letting the beta loose into a final release for proper testing. Lastly, large maps are a charm - no longer do I have to moonwalk to complete some bigger environments! Runsaber Out!
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

RUNSABER wrote:2.0.4 & 2.1 Test Build Report:

Turns out my machine can run 2.1 very well, if anything it is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the last build whereas I can play smoothly with max settings and in fullscreen via VGA! This thing runs like BUTTER! I am extremely hyped and wanted to let you all know how a fine job this port is turning out. I managed to come across 3 bugs, well plausibly 2 as the other is probably just current logic.
Music to my ears :-) I am so glad it is working great! I was worried that all of these additions were going to cause problems, but I am overjoyed to hear it is much improved over the 2.0 branch!!
Bug #1: Came across a Cacodemon that randomly becomes gibbed as if were crushed by a crushing celing. Occurred on MAP05 of Doom II near the Yellow key. It happened twice in this area in the cranny which leads to the secret behind the exit. Tried replicating it but to no avail.
Hmm, was the Caco stuck? Could be that the logic determined this and gibbed him for the sake of the playsim. I will look into it!
Bug #2: Loaded up DAMNED and defined fireball trails were horribly offset while standard sprite trails worked fine. Technically this is not a bug as I'm sure its how the current build handles PNGs, and that mod makes a fair use of them.
Hmm, will look into it. Make sure your PNGs dont contain offsets defined by SLADE, otherwise those will take precedence (grAb chunk). Might have to set offsets im images.ddf - i will test your latest version!
Bug #3: Music/sound bug with the pause key. Music returns after unpausing, yet sound is still janky and returns after the map is cleared.
Is this also in 2.0.4? If not, then it is an issue with SDL2 that I am fairly certain I can fix.
Overall, my true hype comes from that new OPL emulation. I felt like I was running through DOS Doom, that funky bassy punch from UDoom's music is pretty dope! Had an 32X feel to it but better! Fantastic addition! The interpolation has greatly improved and 3DGE64 and Astral Pathfinder run smoothly as well with the exception of a few slowdowns from dynamic lighting use. I'm letting the beta loose into a final release for proper testing. Lastly, large maps are a charm - no longer do I have to moonwalk to complete some bigger environments! Runsaber Out!
Good to hear! I love OPL/adlib music so it turned out very nice :)

Dynamic lights are getting an overhaul so I will keep you up to date on those. Glad it is working better than previous versions!! :-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Getting ready to release Test2.

The biggest feature by far is the new Multiplayer submenu, which is called from the Main Menu. It contains spots for Hosting a netgame, Joining a netgame, and starting a Two-Player splitscreen game. I am almost finished with the input responder, which needed more support code, to support the second player. Also, a new option where you can choose Verticle or Horizontal positioning of the split screen.

Other things have been fixed, such as the control assingment code, which has minor layout changes. Also I have expanded upon the PNG code slightly and fixed a major bug with it.

The OPL code has a bug fixed in OPL3 mode as well.

Another huge thing is that we are well on our way to supporting Wolfenstein 3D maps, which uses a custom node builder written by my predecessor, that I converted just for Wolf and ROTT maps. The game is able to detect the WL6 files and go into that mode, and I also wrote Wolf3D DDFs. It is still in alpha and might not be finished anytime soon, but it is there and working ;-)

However, I am strongly considering moving completely away from SDL to SFML, which will require yet another rewrite (that was started with the first test), but that is still a ways away for now.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Excited to try this new build, I remember you posting on Doomworld awhile back about a mod called QDOOM2 and it had some cool splitscreen features. This would be great for some old school Ultimate Doom co-op. I guess this means I should start making deathmatch levels to test alongside these, too!

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Great!

As for Damned and PNG: do the fireball trails have an offset specified in DDFIMAGE? If not, try setting X_ ans Y_ offsets to "0" and see if it fixes the alignment. If not, then I need more support code in grAb.

Also, a new feauture I am working on setting offsets for regular sprite graphics in DDFIMAGE. Reason is becausw Hereric's weapons have a weird offset that was fixed in Herfix.wad, but I am removing reliance on that wad, so for Hererics weapons, they need a custom offset to display correctly.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Having trouble getting Test1 to start on my TOSHIBA:

Code: Select all

[Log file created at 01:39 PM on 07/Jul/2016]

[Debug file created at 01:39 PM on 07/Jul/2016]

3DGE v2.1.0 - TEST 1 compiled on Jun 13 2016 at 16:24:09
hyper3DGE homepage is at http://edge2.sourceforge.net/
hyper3DGE is based on DOOM by id Software http://www.idsoftware.com/
hyper3DGE problems should be reported at http://tdgmods.net/smf
Executable path: 'C:\Users\Anderson\Desktop\3DGE-2.1.0-Test1-Win32'
Command-line Options:
  C:\Users\Anderson\Desktop\3DGE-2.1.0-Test1-Win32\3DGE.exe 
E_ShowCPU: detected AuthenticAMD CPU
E_ShowCPU: `AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60'
E_ShowCPU: clocked at 1999 MHz (according to your OS)
The processor has 64K L1 cache and 512K L2 cache
The processor has 2 cores and 2 logical processors
Supported multimedia instruction sets:
  MMX         : present
  MMX-extended: present
  SSE         : present
  SSE2        : present
  3DNow!      : present
M_LoadDefaults from .\EDGE2.cfg
Unknown console command: r_vsync
- System startup begun.
SDL_Video_Driver: default
I_StartupGraphics: initialisation OK
Desktop resolution: 0x0
I_StartupControl: 0 joysticks found.
SDL_Audio_Driver: default
I_StartupSound: trying 44100 Hz, 16 bit Stereo
I_StartupSound: Success @ 44100 Hz, 16 bit Stereo
I_StartupMUS: Couldn't load the midi mixer
I_StartupMusic: OPL Init OK
** FindTimidityConfig:
  ^___ EXISTS
Loading Timidity config: .\8mbgmpat\timidity.cfg
I_StartupMusic: Timidity Init OK
>> LocalHostName: Anderson-PC
>> LocalAddress: 10.0.0.10
I_StartupNetwork: Initialised OK.
Available Resolutions:

- Changing Resolution...
R_InitialResolution setting up...
I_SetScreenSize: trying 512x384 16bpp (windowed)

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Delete your EDGE2.cfg and try again. When it loada successfully, then you can edit options in the newly generated configuration.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Deleted the config file, as this time it tried to run in full screen. Here's what I got:

Code: Select all

[Log file created at 02:26 PM on 07/Jul/2016]

[Debug file created at 02:26 PM on 07/Jul/2016]

3DGE v2.1.0 - TEST 1 compiled on Jun 13 2016 at 16:24:09
hyper3DGE homepage is at http://edge2.sourceforge.net/
hyper3DGE is based on DOOM by id Software http://www.idsoftware.com/
hyper3DGE problems should be reported at http://tdgmods.net/smf
Executable path: 'C:\Users\Anderson\Desktop\3DGE-2.1.0-Test1-Win32'
Command-line Options:
  C:\Users\Anderson\Desktop\3DGE-2.1.0-Test1-Win32\3DGE.exe 
E_ShowCPU: detected AuthenticAMD CPU
E_ShowCPU: `AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60'
E_ShowCPU: clocked at 2000 MHz (according to your OS)
The processor has 64K L1 cache and 512K L2 cache
The processor has 2 cores and 2 logical processors
Supported multimedia instruction sets:
  MMX         : present
  MMX-extended: present
  SSE         : present
  SSE2        : present
  3DNow!      : present
M_LoadDefaults from .\EDGE2.cfg
WARNING: Couldn't open config file .\EDGE2.cfg for reading.
WARNING: Resetting config to RECOMMENDED values...
- System startup begun.
SDL_Video_Driver: default
I_StartupGraphics: initialisation OK
Desktop resolution: 0x0
I_StartupControl: 0 joysticks found.
SDL_Audio_Driver: default
I_StartupSound: trying 44100 Hz, 16 bit Stereo
I_StartupSound: Success @ 44100 Hz, 16 bit Stereo
I_StartupMUS: Couldn't load the midi mixer
I_StartupMusic: OPL Init OK
** FindTimidityConfig:
  ^___ EXISTS
Loading Timidity config: .\8mbgmpat\timidity.cfg
I_StartupMusic: Timidity Init OK
>> LocalHostName: Anderson-PC
>> LocalAddress: 10.0.0.10
I_StartupNetwork: Initialised OK.
Available Resolutions:

- Changing Resolution...
R_InitialResolution setting up...
I_SetScreenSize: trying 640x480 32bpp (fullscreen)

2.04 and the SSE builds work fine, but I'm craving the new interpolation logic to play around with on this new computer. Also, I just installed Runtime essential stuff last night for both x86 and x64.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Hmmm...this is pretty strange. Another user had this problem, but it was fixed when the config file was removed..

What does your config file look like?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Also, make sure your video drivers are up to date. According to your log, it seems it crashes before it sets up the GL state..

Any luck getting it to work?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ