Loading new models on the fly?

Are you experiencing a problem? Maybe you can't get your scripts to do what you need, or are frustrated by a feature you just can't seem to get working? Let us know about it here and we will try our best to help you out!
Sierraoscar19

Loading new models on the fly?

Post by Sierraoscar19 »

I've made several MD2 models for the player each of which show them holding a different weapon. Is there any way in DDF/RTS to ensure that a different md2 is shown when a player changes weapons? I know that skins can be adjusted dynamically in-game but need to call a new model (the player is the same but the weapon geometries differ)

Thanks in advance

Marscaleb

Re: Loading new models on the fly?

Post by Marscaleb »

Swapping out a whole player model just to change the weapon?
I don't know if it is possible or not, but my first thought is that such would be really wasteful. I would hope the system would allow you to just swap out a second mesh attached to the model, and maybe use a different set of animations.

Although if you could change the player model, then you could have things like a "weapon" where you transform into a different creature. That would be pretty cool, actually. (Rise from your grave and rescue my daughter! Power up!)

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Has 3dge had md3/md5 support removed? I don't know the technical details, but one of the reasons for having those formats was changeable meshes.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I think it's possible, but I've never tried it. Like Marscaleb said, it would be so convoluted that it wouldn't really be worth it. You would need to do something along the lines of define a new THING type for each new player model, define a new state on the Player THING type for each specific weapon (Player.Pistol, Player.Shotgun, etc.), have each new state end with a BECOME action pointer that points to the new THING type for the player model that is holding the weapon of choice, use RTS to trigger each new state on the Player THING type ON CONDITION that the player selects the weapon, and repeat the process for each Player thing type (I think there are about 15 - 20 of them). I'm still not sure if that would produce the result that you are looking for, though.

@3rd_3ye: I tested the latest model pack with MD3's and the original model pack with MD2's and they both work in the latest version of 3DGE. I think that Coraline has plans to discontinue support for MD2 in the future (not sure about MD3). Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing DAE or FBX support somewhere down the line.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Marscaleb wrote: That would be pretty cool, actually. (Rise from your grave and rescue my daughter! Power up!)

We had discussed this before when we implemented MD5 support, but in theory this should be doable with only slight modifications. It's not considered a priority, but I will mark it on a "distant TODO" list.;-)

You ARE talking about the player model itself, right? When you look into mirrors (etc)?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Return to “Support and Help”