Additional GFX for edge2.wad

Are you experiencing a problem? Maybe you can't get your scripts to do what you need, or are frustrated by a feature you just can't seem to get working? Let us know about it here and we will try our best to help you out!
Julian

Additional GFX for edge2.wad

Post by Julian »

Since this is not a bugs I'll post it here, not at Source Forge :)

I really don't know, was somebody have done already that GFX, so I make my own. As a source I was using original Doom 1, 2 and Alpha WADs so result looks canonical.
All of these graphics are attached in archive below as separate 24-bit PNG and as a WAD file with Doom pallete.

1) Both TNT and Plutonia loaded IWADs still called "Hell on Earth" in episode selection, and it might be a good idea to add them own names (M_EPI6.png and M_EPI7.png).
Image and Image

2) Sound Options title is not capitalized in Options menu, while all other titles are capitalized. This seems to be because it was not done in original IWAD, but just for esthetic reason it can be capitalized. (M_SNDOPT.png)

3) Screen Options using "VIDEO OPTIONS" title. Unique one is attached as M_SCROPT.png.

4) Set Resolution also using "VIDEO OPTIONS" title. Unique one is attached as M_SETRES.png.

5) Host New Game and Join New Game does not have Doom-stylized titles at all, so they are done too (M_HOSTNG.png and M_JOINNG.png).
Image and Image
Attachments
addgfx.zip
(17.52 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: Additional GFX for edge2.wad

Post by Corbachu »

This is great! I used the native patches and already integrated them into the Main Menu responder!

Any chance we can get some for Heretic? The only ones we need at the moment are all of the menu headers - everything else is already there ^^
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Julian

Post by Julian »

Sure, no problem! Will make them aprox. in 1-2 days. ;)

Julian

Post by Julian »

Here we go!

Attachments
addgfxH.zip
(25.05 KiB) Downloaded 568 times

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Awesome!

This is what the main menu for Heretic looks like now:

BUT, we still need a "Game Files" graphic, since I don't think Load Game / Save Game are a part of the original Heretic menu. =)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Julian

Post by Julian »

Na zdorovye :)

Attachments
h_gamfil.zip
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 569 times

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

I have never understood why they have all the menus and map names and everything use a whole graphic for each item, instead of just drawing the text using sprites of the letters.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

The menu is going to eventually get overhauled to support strings instead of whole graphics. Once the SDL2 stuff is done, that is next :-)

Edit:

Our options and network menus mostly use strings, so that isn't the issue.

The main menu drawer is quite old (last time real work went into it was back in 1998), so I have already started working on a complete replacement, using Doom 64 EX as a template for our new menu, but that is still a little ways off. Once it becomes mostly usable, I will begin integrating it. There are a lot of additional routines I need to rewrite (such as the HL_writetext stuff), but D64EX is quite a good starting point. I am just working on it off/on when I have the time.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

While you are overhauling the menu system, you might consider adding support for actual fonts. It's not exactly a critical thing, but it might be desirable for some mods. Just drop in a new font file instead of creating a whole new set of characters.
If you do, look into having it draw outlines around the text as well. Makes for better readability.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Ive already been tinkering with SDL2's native TrueType font support, how I will tie it through the engine is another story ;-) added to my ToDo, at any rate :-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ