MD5 Skins and Configs

Are you experiencing a problem? Maybe you can't get your scripts to do what you need, or are frustrated by a feature you just can't seem to get working? Let us know about it here and we will try our best to help you out!
Sandstormer

MD5 Skins and Configs

Post by Sandstormer »

So, I've been converting the MD3's in the model pack over to MD5. Everything loads just fine and 3DGE doesn't crash. However, the skins are totally borked. Is there a certain way that I have to write the config file or something? I ask because I haven't been able to find any other solution to the skin situation.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: MD5 Skins and Configs

Post by Corbachu »

How are you structuring the skin code? Can you attach your debug.txt? Are you using the latest version?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

The program exported the following MD5 config:

MD5load "CLIPMD5.MD5mesh"
MD5Skin "Skin_CLIPMD5" "./CLIPSKN1.png"
MD5Spec "CLIPMD5" 0

The skin didn't load correctly, so I rewrote it as:

MD5Load "CLIPMD5.md5mesh"
MD5Skin "CLIPSKN1.png"
MD5Spec "CLIPSKN1" 0

I've tried several other combinations as well, but no dice. 3DGE is working just fine, so I don't think that it is engine side. I've never written a config for a model in a WAD file, so I'm pretty sure that I'm screwing something up.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

3DGE does not parse exporter configs. They are completely useless.

Rather, skins get mapped the same way as any other MD3 skin - I.e. through Images.DDF. So if you have, say, IMPMD5 and a skin, the skin needs to keep the same naming convention: IMPSKN1. 3DGE DDFitizes everything automatically from that point.

More documentation is coming I just haven't had the time to write it all out properly yet :-(
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Thanks, Coraline! and Merry XMAS!

Return to “Support and Help”