[SCRIPT REQUEST] Quick dash command?

Are you experiencing a problem? Maybe you can't get your scripts to do what you need, or are frustrated by a feature you just can't seem to get working? Let us know about it here and we will try our best to help you out!
Chronoteeth

[SCRIPT REQUEST] Quick dash command?

Post by Chronoteeth »

Im not gonna lie to ya, no matter what I do I am a damn idiot at RTS/COAL scripting. it just doesnt click with me. Ive been trying to see if I could work a way out to do a quick dash (hold a direction + press the zoom key or alt fire to dash quickly in that direction) and i cant get anything to work out

i was wondering, if theres any coal/rts experts out there, to at least see if its possible to rig up somethin that I could work with? i'd be ultra grateful!

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Re: [SCRIPT REQUEST] Quick dash command?

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Seeing as I've only changed variables before, there is someone out there who can answer your question definitively. Still, I've been under the impression that player/ai attributes were on the ddf side of things(hee hee). COAL might be involved if the speed increase were a pickup, RTS if it were location/environment specific.

Didn't the wizards/flying baddies in quakedoom have some ddf script for a fast, rarely used mode of travel? in quake proper they did.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Does anyone know why I keep calling scraggs, *wizards*?

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

This should be relatively easy to implement.

Give the player a field of, say, PFORWARD (or whatever), and use the MOVE_FWD action, Have it tagged to RTS (by however many units the player moves). Then, you can tag that action to an ACTION button (only 2 available, the other two are disabled until I get more important things bug-free first). So whenever you press ACTION1 or ACTION2, the player will "quickdash" forward. I'm not positive about other directions (even though you'd be able to do the same thing with the other ACTION buttons), you'll have to experiment and hack around it.
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

oh y'see, i knew i could do that! you can even do a hacky way using move_fwd states! but i want more than just a forward dash

like, hold left and press the dash key, dash left, etc

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Hmmmmm....I'll look into that
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Chiming in while I can, you can also try using a attack such as [SKULL_ASSAULT] which can be mapped to a secondary fire button or an action button as Chu said, though as far as controlling the direction you dash, I have not a clue as I have not had time to play with 3DGE throughout the entirety of this month :(
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Honestly, im at the point where any sort of dash would be good for me! Anything is appreciated

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Not sure where you'd pick up source for doom2 1.666, but pre doom2 1.9 had lost souls that could side step player rocket attacks. From the doom wiki:

In early versions of Doom (pre 1.9?, it happens in 1.666), the Lost Soul also had a special ability to dodge rockets; If a rocket was within a certain distance of it and it wasn't already attacking, the Lost Soul would sometimes "sidestep" by darting left or right very quickly (it would quickly turn 90 degrees and then perform its distance attack in that direction for a fraction of a second).

Return to “Support and Help”