Glowing Flats

Are you experiencing a problem? Maybe you can't get your scripts to do what you need, or are frustrated by a feature you just can't seem to get working? Let us know about it here and we will try our best to help you out!
RUNSABER

Re: Glowing Flats

Post by RUNSABER »

SO! I did some tests, fiddled around and wallah.. Glowing flats!
My suspicions were right, these effects are Things and must be added to your editor via configuration file. My goal is to have Doom Builder 2 fully functional and compatible with EDGE. It still uses old EDGE configs so once I get everything properly listed, I'll upload the files publicly.

Here is DOOM2 MAP02, Underhalls beautifully lit and a Green Key, too! I accidentally placed two in one sector, so one side may be brighter than the first shot.

DOOM E1M1's nuke catwalk, illuminated by the dangerous beauty of toxic waste.

DOOM2 MAP03. This time I used a sky glow thing I created, lighting the ceiling instead. With this, you can give your lights a dynamic aesthetic, similar to Doom 64 :)

Before:
After:

Let me just express how awesome this port is (again), being highly customizable and easily reflecting the modder's style and personality! All tested in 2.0, may downgrade to test in 1.3 for compatibility. Wonder if this may work in Dream3dge?

Thanks, everyone!
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

yeah!!
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

You're 100% correct, 3RD_Eye. That's what happens when you post stuff while you're half sleep. Link has been updated.

RUNSABER, those shots look amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with Doom Builder 2!

Raoh

Post by Raoh »

Did you know you can also change the height of the glow by changing the DLIGHT.RADIUS property?
There are several interesting effects you can achieve with sector glows, not just the typical slime glowing around.

The very first that I like to use is a "fade to darkness" effect:

For this, set the sector light level to zero and add a sector glow thing.
If you didn't noticed, the sector glow will also light up all objects in the sector, so the player can see them.
You can also stack two or more glow-effect things to make the sector glow stronger. It will increate the intensity of the light but not the height of the glow effect. In that image I used only one "lava glow" where I changed colour from red to white (FFFFFF).

And if you make the glow to be on the ceiling, you can somehow simulate the lighting entering through a ceiling window or in a cave etc...

EDIT:

I'm not the owner of a Dreamcast, but take into account that its processor is a 200MHz processor, 100MHz graphics card and 16 MB RAM. And on top of that, they are not INTEL/AMD normal PC processors, but MOBILE processors, which translates into a lower efficiency than their PC counterpart.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

That sector effect is turning out to be incredibly handy, hope to see it in future 3dge maps! 3dge64 anyone?

Oh, and welcome raoh! Always good to see classic fx utilized in new ways. :)

I'm going to bump your first question as it's a little more crucial, once answered I'll bump this thread back.

Also, with massive amounts of texture compression and sans shaders, Dreamcast was able to run quake3 Arena. There is a youtube of edge 1.29 running on the dc, it isn't perfect, but it does function, with a gl renderer no less.
The banlist has been updated successfully.