[MOD/ADDON]ZHUD For 3DGE

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
RUNSABER

[MOD/ADDON]ZHUD For 3DGE

Post by RUNSABER »

***A Compact Heads-Up Display Modification for 3DGE***
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER HUD MODS, WEAPON MODS, SOURCE PORTS, AND BRUTAL DOOM.

Source port engines brought with them unique and intricate features that expanded upon the end-user experience of Doom. One of those cool features happened to being gifted with an additional and space-abundant HUD setting. Depending on the source port, the grey and slab stone status bar becomes mere building blocks displaying practical information. I created this for fans who enjoy a leaner HUD, inspired by ZDoom!

3DGE VERSION: 2.0+
Screenshots captured in 3DGE 2.1.0.t3 in No Sleep For The Dead & Dimension Of The Boomed
Spoiler:
Developed by: YAKO
Game Engine: 3DGE Advanced Sourceport
Compatibility: DOOM / Ultimate DOOM / DOOMII / Final DOOM IWADs
Current Version: 3.13.17.1

For demonstration video: https://vimeo.com/208488263

**What is zHUD?**: zHUD is a simple heads up display modification for 3DGE.
3DGE gives you the ability to use up to three HUDs during gameplay. Those three
options are the original status bar, an overlay status view, and a blind view.
The overlay status view has been simplified for quick, clutter-free information
to be displayed. Inspiration comes directly from the ZDoom HUD.

**What are the features of zHUD?**: There arent any new notable features other than
simplified viewing, current equipped armor types and graphics to match their
respectful ammo types. Multiple aspect ratio functionality!

**What can be expected from updates?**: New updates will include bug fixes to patch
any oddities. Deathmatch support is to come in the second update, as well as
Heretic support for Heretic IWADs. New armor types will be included such as the
red, purple and yellow armors, along with stylish countdowns for all powerups.

How can I stay up-to-date?: Follow tdgmods.net for all things 3DGE.

ZHUD BETA 1:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5fMgi ... sp=sharing

3DGE 2.1.0T3 BUILD:http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/3dge/3DGE- ... e142ac1.7z
3DGE 2.0F BUILD:https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/ ... aries/2.0/

-YAKO

Found a bug? Let's squash it! Please send a private message for all extermination inquiries.

If you find this mod helpful or not so helpful, feel free to provide ample feedback! The end goal is for Doomers to have the best demon-smashing experience possible. I'm able to answer questions about DDF as well 8-)
Last edited by RUNSABER on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Re: [MOD/ADDON]ZHUD For 3DGE

Post by CeeJay »

Nice. That status bar has become so obsolete and ruins immersion.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I'm not the only one? :o there have been plenty of times where I've been put off by the tiny numbers and mugshot during some testing periods. I've always loved the ZDoom styled arrangement of the status bar. It even gives an ole Goldeneye feel :) Also, feel free to integrate this code wherever you please. It's easily expandable and can be configured for new weapon types as well! I'll make more HUDs as time goes on : they're very easy to construct once you get past the first (third) hour of figuring out which element interacts with what!

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Bump to thread, OP now has a presentation video that shows off the HUD a little!

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Pardon me Runsaber if I'm being obtuse, but doesn't 3dge already have a reduced hud option bound to a key? And if we cycle through that key, don't we get various Hud to choose from?
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

I was thinking about integrating this into the next release of 3DGE -- what do you think Runsaber?
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Sorry for the late response everyone! I was enjoying a weekend in Arkansas.

@3rd_eye: As a matter of fact, it does! This is just a modification of the third display which removes the status ammo displays and the mugshot with a small arrangement of key elements. The keys still need proper alignment however they seem to be fine where they are. I'll let you all be the judge of that :)

@Coraline: THAT WOULD BE AMAZING! You have full permission! I'm surprised you have to ask really - I am also creating a Console-styled version a la Doom 64. I aim to experiment with COAL as much as I can!

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Cool! I will integrate it tonight :-)

Did the COAL HUD manual on the Wiki help you out a bit? I based it on my predessors unfinished guide, so I hope it will open up new possibilities for you guys :-)

And Runsaber -- want to help me finish up the Heretic HUD? ;-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Coraline wrote:Cool! I will integrate it tonight :-)

Did the COAL HUD manual on the Wiki help you out a bit? I based it on my predessors unfinished guide, so I hope it will open up new possibilities for you guys :-)

And Runsaber -- want to help me finish up the Heretic HUD? ;-)
As a matter of fact it did - working with the screen coordinates however takes a bit getting used to. The old documentation helped meanwhile I got the best practice from gutting the original HUD by figuring out what takes/adds to what. Getting on-screen information to change such as when you acquire upgraded armor is a bit hacky. I'm gonna give it a shot at updating tonight with a new powerup postition and sounds.

I'm totally down to help in getting the Heretic version going, it seems that once the inventory is complete, items can be coded via RTS to be activated and complete a major part of the project's progress. I havent done anything remotely inventory-based in my studies of the engine so far..

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Inventory is the next major thing we are going to tackle as soon as we get stuff fixed up some more :-)

Forgot to add the ZHUD, gonna do it tonight and make it the default for split screen since it is much cleaner for that mode :)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Return to “Mods/Projects”