Heathen v1.1

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
CeeJay

Re: [in development] unnamed fantasy mod

Post by CeeJay »

Right now I am concentrating on getting new content and mechanics into the mod, alongside all the vanilla re-skin stuff. So far I have replaced the toxic barrels with wooden ones that A) can be pushed around B) when broken sometimes drop ammo or health. Enemies occasionally drop Life Essence, basically a bigger variant of the health potion. And lastly the armor bonuses will be replaced with magic mines that can be deployed with the action 1 key.

And the Skull Staff rain attack needs further tweaking, after much playtesting I have realized that it is still a little unreliable.

CeeJay

Re: Heathen (medieval/fantasy mod)

Post by CeeJay »

New more elaborate HUD

Bottom left: Health, armor and keys
Bottom right: (Ethereal) arrows and mana (blue, red and green)
Top right: "Inventory" (Action keys, power-ups)

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

CeeJay wrote:New more elaborate HUD

Bottom left: Health, armor and keys
Bottom right: (Ethereal) arrows and mana (blue, red and green)
Top right: "Inventory" (Action keys, power-ups)
This new reveal is dope!! Are you gearing up for a release down the road? I like how it feels like a Elder Scrolls/Daggerfall aesthetic
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Check first post for download :)

RUNSABER

Re: Heathen (medieval/fantasy mod) v0.3

Post by RUNSABER »

Let me start off by saying this gameplay mod is highly addictive and fun to play. I love the smoothness of the gore, and the communication weapons have on impact with the environment and enemies. Sometimes the Fighter's fists can easily leave you overwhelmed if you start on certain maps with loads of enemies, then you are mincemeat for the cultists. So far the player's melee/projectile weaponry is combat-intensive and with a little strategy each weapon serves a viable purpose. Did you intend to use the Skull Staff and a Power weapon for slots 7-8?

Also, what other power-ups/consumables will you employ for future updates? I like how the mines can float, though I was kind of expecting them to drop under the effects of gravity which makes it a great utility when fighting enemies below you. The enemies all fit in superbly well. I feel there could be elemental variants of the cultists, some using fire, or poison. These cultists are your worse enemy is all you have are your melee weapons.

How would you feel about this modification getting some stand-alone inspired maps? I like the Ghouls n Ghost/Maximo/Medievil feel!

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

RUNSABER wrote:Let me start off by saying this gameplay mod is highly addictive and fun to play. I love the smoothness of the gore, and the communication weapons have on impact with the environment and enemies.
Thank you very much.
RUNSABER wrote:Did you intend to use the Skull Staff and a Power weapon for slots 7-8?
I pretty much ditched the old weapon roster in favour of a more Fighter inspired set. I suppose I could squeeze in more weapons, but I don't know, I think it is pretty solid as is. The dragon sword may not be as powerful as the BFG (hard to tell for sure) but it also uses less ammo as a result.
RUNSABER wrote:Also, what other power-ups/consumables will you employ for future updates?
None, all of DOOMs items and power-ups have been replaced and that was the goal. There might be some replacements in the future, however, who knows.
RUNSABER wrote:I like how the mines can float, though I was kind of expecting them to drop under the effects of gravity which makes it a great utility when fighting enemies below you.
I believe I made them unaffected by gravity, but when you mention it that is not such a bad idea.
RUNSABER wrote:The enemies all fit in superbly well. I feel there could be elemental variants of the cultists, some using fire, or poison. These cultists are your worse enemy is all you have are your melee weapons.
I wanted to limit myself to replacing DOOM enemies with foes of equal size and stats for maximum compatibility, adding variations of existing monsters would complicate matters and I've always found it to be a cheap artifical way of increasing the enemy roster. There is one, the bronze golem.

I replaced the zombieman with a melee-based enemy souly because of the fact that the player starts with a close combat weapon.
RUNSABER wrote:How would you feel about this modification getting some stand-alone inspired maps? I like the Ghouls n Ghost/Maximo/Medievil feel!
Would both love and support the idea.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Thank you for the swift response! I did some more playing today with OBLIGE and found that the Crusader Shield's special effect (Nulls Melee DMG) is helpful when youre surrounded by Scimitars and other melee monsters. For a moment I thought their attacks did not work though I still bleed without taking damage. Not sure if the bleeding is a limitation of 3DGE sticking to spawning blood things instead of puffs with armor changes or a bug. Either way it is super useful.

Possible bug in EDGE 2.1 - the blood sprite used in gib states remains on the ground after landing.

The Dragon Sword appears to be the BFG of the roster - mowing down high-tier enemies with efficient ease. Making a note to place this item fairly late into any levels that may be used with this mod! I find that the Cacodemon replacements tend to infight amongst themselves. This may be due to a flag or class difference. Speaking of classes, would you think having certain enemies strong/weak against elements like Green, Blue and Red mana make the game more challening (pretty hardcore already) or add meta on top of the current weapon set? After playing through this, youre right in the sense that more variants would complicate the balance of monsters in place. If there is one enemy that could be a niche addition, that would be a Skeleton.

Now for the concept of level design. Since I'm using EDGE I'm going to utilize jumping and crouching in the game and give the HUBS feature a try. Every time I've tried to use HUBS in the past, it frustrated me to no end and I immediately did away with it each time. I want to go with something in the style of Gauntlet Legends - beat enough stages and you unlock the boss level which gives you an artifact to unlock a final HUB to complete the game. Each hub should be completed in any order that the player wants

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

RUNSABER wrote:Thank you for the swift response! I did some more playing today with OBLIGE and found that the Crusader Shield's special effect (Nulls Melee DMG) is helpful when youre surrounded by Scimitars and other melee monsters. For a moment I thought their attacks did not work though I still bleed without taking damage. Not sure if the bleeding is a limitation of 3DGE sticking to spawning blood things instead of puffs with armor changes or a bug. Either way it is super useful.
The bleeding is a limitation with 3DGE, something that's always bothered me. The player will bleed regardless if he is actually taking damage or not. The armor is the one thing that behaves drastically different from vanilla, and took quite a while to get working they way it was intended.
RUNSABER wrote:Possible bug in EDGE 2.1 - the blood sprite used in gib states remains on the ground after landing.
Are you referring to the "overkill" state where monsters explod or the "gib" state when they are crushed under a door or a crusher.
RUNSABER wrote:The Dragon Sword appears to be the BFG of the roster - mowing down high-tier enemies with efficient ease. Making a note to place this item fairly late into any levels that may be used with this mod!
Hence why it replaces the BFG. ;)
RUNSABER wrote:I find that the Cacodemon replacements tend to infight amongst themselves. This may be due to a flag or class difference.
Monsters of the same species are not supposed to fight eachother, must have missed something there.
RUNSABER wrote:Speaking of classes, would you think having certain enemies strong/weak against elements like Green, Blue and Red mana make the game more challening (pretty hardcore already) or add meta on top of the current weapon set?
Having enemies weaker / more vulnerable against certain attacks has always been in the back of my mind, but I never found a logical or practial way of implementing it that makes some sort of sense. Fire-based enemies being resitant against fire attacks, sure, except for the fact that the majority of enemies are fire-based to begin with.
RUNSABER wrote:After playing through this, youre right in the sense that more variants would complicate the balance of monsters in place. If there is one enemy that could be a niche addition, that would be a Skeleton.
I always wanted a skeleton replacement, but have yet to find a decent set of sprites that match the overall style.
RUNSABER wrote:Now for the concept of level design. Since I'm using EDGE I'm going to utilize jumping and crouching in the game and give the HUBS feature a try. Every time I've tried to use HUBS in the past, it frustrated me to no end and I immediately did away with it each time. I want to go with something in the style of Gauntlet Legends - beat enough stages and you unlock the boss level which gives you an artifact to unlock a final HUB to complete the game. Each hub should be completed in any order that the player wants
I'm all for jumping and crouching and HUBs (when does right). I know Don Tello (Corry Whittle) pulled of HUBs way back when with Don's Challenge, he was always way ahead of the curve and one of my inspirations. Having to unlock levels sounds quite intriguing. To be honest, I would just be happy to see more levels made for 3DGE, showing off its capabilities and perhaps have the engine recieve more attention in the process.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Just to show progress and my dedication! I know you're not into using Discord so I posted it there before posting here:

So! First mao is kind of an introduction to everything, which leads up to the final encounter of the map involving clearing out a fortress that will act as the main hub.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Well, it's not really me not being into Discord as it is me not having the slightest clue what it is. When it comes to technology, I'm pretty much a dinosaur, I gave up trying to follow that stuff long ago.

Really liking what I'm seeing so far. Please keep it up. Wish I could be of more help and supply more motivation and whatnot but things are kind of weird for me at the moment. Modding on my part is currently on a (temporary) hiatus 'cos...

A) My computer is a piece of crap and I need to buy a new one.
B) lack of free time, I work 9 to 11 hours a day in the week. Pay is good, though.
C) Struggling with a lot of personal stuff. Such as trying to get my alchohol addiction under control and battling deppresion.

Shame, really, as quite a few of my mods are in dire need of updates.

I really looking forward to more updates on this, though. I'll be checking out what Discord is, too ;)