Doom R3loaded

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
Sandstormer

Doom R3loaded

Post by Sandstormer »

Doom R3loaded v1.3
9/27/16

I've gotten this mod to where the quality is much better than previous releases,
and I hope that you enjoy it. I removed a lot of nonsense from it, and I generally
cleaned it up in all areas. This mod was initially intended to be a Smooth Doom or
Beautiful Doom style of mod, but it evolved into a more low-tech, retro style
enhancement mod.

***Changelog (v1.3)***

- New Doomgirl sprites, and a fixed version of the STFGOD0 HUD graphic.
- New Doomgirl sounds from Quake 3 Arena.
- Marine corpses are now randomly mirrored and randomly colored.
- Added unique weapon select sounds.
- Removed all N64/PSX sounds and replaced them with a custom sound set.
- Replaced Bayonet with roundhouse kick for default melee.
- Replaced Bayonet with Zombieman Rifle for default rifle.
- Added modified Super Shotgun from Sirens.Wad.
- Replaced Chaingun with Heavy Machine Gun.
- Added modified Rocket Launcher from Don's Challenge.
- Removed smoking projectiles. Smoke only spawns on projectile hits. This should
help with overall performance.
- Restored monster behavior to vanilla so that the mod flows better.
- Added randomly mirrored alt deaths from Grafix.wad as the main death sprites for
the monsters.
- Removed skid marks from gibbed monsters.
- Removed custom crush sprites and replaced them with standard crush sprites that
scale depending on the monster's size.
- Improved blood coloring for the Baron, Hell Knight, and Cacodemon.
- Added a dynamic light to every monster's firing frame. Also added one to the
player's firing frame.
- Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon will display a large dynamic light on the frames
in which they explode.

Installation:

- I recommend downloading and using the latest version of Doom Launcher. Many
people complain about 3DGE's weird behavior when dragging and dropping files
onto the executable. I've experienced this, as well. Doom Launcher alleviates
most if not all of these issues. Download at:

http://realm667.com/index.php/en/downlo ... cher-2-4-0

Starters:

- Download the latest version of 3DGE at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/
- Buy the Doom series DRM-Free at: http://www.gog.com/game/doom_ii_final_doom
- Hard times? Strapped for cash? Then download and support the Freedoom project
at: https://freedoom.github.io/download.html

Tech Talk:

It is a very good idea to make sure that your computer has the recommended specs
that Coraline listed on the 3DGE Wiki:

- Pentium-class 1.0 GHz CPU or faster (1.2 GHz recommended for modern
modifications).
- 128MB RAM (512MB RAM recommended).
- Hardware accelerated 3D card with OpenGL drivers. Should be at least a Voodoo,
but you'll need better, especially if you want to use dynamic lights along with
the models.

Future Plans:

None at this time. Due to me moving forward in life with my career, plus a new love
interest, I just don't have as much spare time to mod Doom as I would like to have.
New and positive things are happening in my life, and Doom doesn't fit into the picture
anymore. I'll come back to this when I have the chance, but I don't want to make any
promises or give the expectation that it will get updated in the future.

Screenshots:

Download Link (9.52 MB):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gvc6z9ve7 ... ded1_3.zip
Last edited by Sandstormer on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sandstormer

Re: Doom R3loaded

Post by Sandstormer »

First update, Doom R3loaded v1.1
New link in the OP.

- Added new weapon sprites for the pistol, plasma gun, and BFG. The pistol has been replaced with the rifle, but the weapon's strength and behavior
remain unchanged.
- Added simple muzzle smoke to all weapons including enemy weapons.
- Added ejecting bullet and shell casings to all weapons including enemy weapons.
- Added a couple of shootable zombie decorations (the twitching blokes).
- Changed the BOBBING property for the player and weapons so that they follow PSX Doom's view bob and weapon bob more closely.
- Changed the SWAYING property for all weapons so that they follow PSX Doom's weapon sway more closely.
- Changed the dynamic lighting so that it is a little closer to PSX Doom's lighting. This meant switching from quadratic to constant lighting, removing dynamic lights from all pick ups, and expanding the dynamic lights on all applicable scenery objects so that the colored lighting has a definite source and is not there randomly.
- Changed the lost soul's HP by lowering it so that the lost soul can now be one-shot with the shotgun.
- Changed the spectre's properties so that it now renders transparent just like its counterpart in PSX Doom.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Quick update. This was sitting on the HD for a while, so I figured that I may as well release it. See the OP.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

I really like it! Simple and fun! Love the flipped death sprites - was that done in DDF or in patch graphics? ^_^

Feels like an older EDGE mod that was enhanced, definitely nostalgic and a lot of fun ^_^ Good, clean replacement for DOOM, although I could go with some of those DOOM 64 SFX replaced (would be cool if they were replaced with Quake III effects) ^_^
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Thanks, Coraline! I made the randomly mirrored deaths through a combination of new graphics and DDF using the JUMP action pointer. I also used the JUMP action pointer for randomizing when the red and yellow armors appear in place of the green and blue armors, and when the nightmare imp appears in place of the imp. I'm planning on dropping the current SFX altogether and adding in new ones. I want to finish up the pinky demon model before making more changes to this wad, but that is not going to take long at all.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Updated, see op.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Starting with 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2, you will need to upgrade your #VERSION directive on all DDF/etc files (or force users to use the -v135 command line switch):

Instead of:
#VERSION 1.36
it should read
#VERSION 2.10
Just a heads up for anyone trying to run this with 2.1.0-Test2 or greater!
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

Updated directives in DDF files to show version 2.10. Should work with no issues now.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Post by Corbachu »

Sandstormer wrote:Updated directives in DDF files to show version 2.10. Should work with no issues now.
Perfect! If you post to Doomworld or whatever, be sure to mention that it will only work with 2.1.0-Test2 or higher ;-)
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

Return to “Mods/Projects”