"Blitzkrieg!" Chris' WWII/Wolf3D gameplay mod (2017)

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
CeeJay

"Blitzkrieg!" Chris' WWII/Wolf3D gameplay mod (2017)

Post by CeeJay »

Just a little Wolf3D/WWII themed gameplay mod i've been working on for 3DGE 2.0.1 (or later). Nothing too special or revolutionary, just a fun little mod featuring a ton of Nazis and a nice selection of weapons to deal with them. It is incredible frantic and difficult though since enemies move faster, have itchy trigger fingers and are just all around more aggresive. Originally posted at the Doomworld and ZDoom forums.

WEAPONS
Spoiler:
Knife
Luger / Suppressed Luger / Walther P38
Kar98k
MP40 / Dual MP40
Panzerfaust
Stg44
Flamethrower
MG42

And stick grenades which are activated with the secondary attack (all weapons)
MEET THE CAST
Spoiler:
Nazi Scientist
Heer Infantry
Heer Officer
Schutzstaffel (S.S.) Non-Commissioned Officer
Attack Dog
Mutant
Sniper
UberSoldat
Heer Grenadier
Machinegunner / Nest
S.S. Firebat
Ubermutant
Hans Grosse
Dr. Artz Schabbs
Undead
Ghost
SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
NJDOOM2.WAD (Enjay DOOM 2)
EPIC2.WAD
The menu
D2TWID.WAD (Doom 2 the way id did)
DOOM2.WAD (Doom 2: Hell on Earth)
epic fail
BROTHERHOOD OF RUIN
An Ubermutant in a cage, how fitting.
I didn't do it
DOWNLOAD
Version 7.0: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2go6w18t3 ... -blitz.zip

Castle Totenkopf soundtrack for DOOM 2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/40gm8 ... opfmus.zip (credits to Wolf Skevos-Jones)

CREDITS
Spoiler:
Id Software
FormGen Corporation
Apogee / 3D Realms
MacPlay / Interplay
Monolith Productions
Wolf Skevos-Jones
DoomJedi
JoeyTD
WildWeasel
HellcatX
MJ79
Captain J.
Sgt. Shivers
osjclatchford
WLHack
Adersso (STG44 firing sound)
GameBanana
thecasperart/Deviantart (Nazi skull)
SavageCorona (support)
Team Raycast

My apologies if I've missed someone
Last edited by CeeJay on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Corbachu
Site Admin

Re: Chris' WWII/Wolf3D gameplay mod

Post by Corbachu »

This is super awesome, especially the Totenkopf music. You should really think about doing a conversion/update to Castle Totenkopf in the DOOM engine, even if you used the existing levels and added some height -variation, etc...would be really cool..not sure if I've seen that yet.

Also, love the full rotations on enemies here! Is this compatible with Wolf3DGE by chance? I haven't had time to look through your code and see what would work or not, but I'd love to see this weapon pack available for that too
\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Coraline wrote:This is super awesome, especially the Totenkopf music. You should really think about doing a conversion/update to Castle Totenkopf in the DOOM engine, even if you used the existing levels and added some height -variation, etc...would be really cool..not sure if I've seen that yet.

Also, love the full rotations on enemies here! Is this compatible with Wolf3DGE by chance? I haven't had time to look through your code and see what would work or not, but I'd love to see this weapon pack available for that too
Thank you very much.

I have no plans of remaking Castle Totenkopf and probably won't. I included the music because I liked it and couldn't believe it was done by a modder as it sounds like something straight out of one of the Wolfenstein games.

I can recommend "Epic 2", "Brotherhood of Ruin" and "Scythe 2" to go along with this.

It is not compatible with Wolf3DGE I'm afraid.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

This mod is amazing, Ceejay! It looks like you have another masterpiece on your hands!

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Well I wouldn't go that far, but thank you very much.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Oh yeah, this is a quality mod that you have, C! I think with some custom infiltration levels a la Goldeneye-inspired would be a great compliment to the style of this gameplay mod, yo! The Nazi adversaries definitely have that "007" difficulty coded in them. When I have some time to play around in the editor I'll try and whip up a single level map for ya.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

That... would be freakin' awesome. Never had anyone do that for one of my mods before. 8-)

Mostly ppl just complain about there not being any levels in my mods to begin with. Which always bothers me, since there are so many popular and acclaimed mods out there that are just that, gameplay mods, no levels. Immoral Conduct, Trailblazer, Brutal DOOM, etc. No levels, yet they are respected and loved. In its nature, the replay value is virtually unlimited, since it can be played with (mostly) anything instead of being limited to a fixed set of levels.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

The way I see things, if you have a product or project; there must be presentable material to show off the capabilities of the custom features that are available. Considering the ZDoom community, it's easy for individuals to love those projects because of how familiar they are to the port. Whereas 3DGE is still underrated and overlooked after a decade of having functionality and unlimited potential that rivals ZDoom as you've mentioned previously: people are just spoiled :3 I think with a solid gameplay mod such as yours, along with a good singleplayer session of 1-3 maps can be enough to pull players into at least downloading the port, checking out your material and even making modders out of the curious. I found 3DGE to be perfect for my gothic-religious themed projects since it's lightweight and easy on my CPU ^_^

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Ran this alongside Doom II for the first time and I am extremely impressed with the work you've done here. There's even things underneath the hood, like alternative death sounds for kills with the knife (very cool), the usefulness of the suppressed luger which would be perfect for an espionage-intro map, I also like how threatening the enemy is. I was taken down by a patrolling soldier who crouched behind the wall and picked me off with NO trouble. That's DANGEROUS :lol: Even the weapons have their own unique bob ratio that is influenced by the weight of the weapon and bullets can do piercing damage depending on the caliber of the rifle. Yeah, totally making some shit for this that can show things off :)

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Thank you very much

I did try to tweak the AI as much as I could do make the enemies seem less like lumbering hell spawn and more like actual people out for your blood. The rifle is the only weapon capable of killing more than one enemy since it technically fires two pellets per shot.

The only thing that didn't work out was random enemy spawners, I was going to use it for the different enemy variations.