[3DGE]Astral Pathfinder(Discontinued)

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
RUNSABER

[3DGE]Astral Pathfinder(Discontinued)

Post by RUNSABER »

OLD:Read more via: https://dreardev.wordpress.com/2015/06/ ... ndidate-1/

Astral Pathfinder is a Megawad for the 3DGE source port, created in the style of the Quake II N64 universe. The megawad boasts many features, from advanced weaponry, new enemies, 3D architecture, and many exciting experiences that put the engine to the test in its functionality and endless potential as an advanced engine. Along with main map progression, you will encounter quests to complete in order to gain access further within the game, exotic rare weapons, to uncover the truth behind the mysterious teleportation hunt between space bases, frozen facilities, into the ungodly bowels of Khallah.

INFORMATION:
Style: Singleplayer/Arena-styled Deathmatch/Survival
Players: Optimized for 1 Player only (may add support for co-op upon demand)
Levels: 7 with two secret maps, arena maps and survival maps
Sourceport: 3DGE
Download: AP-ENH.WAD NOT AVAILABLE. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER.

Introducing the Chronoteeth Quake experience, a deadly arsenal of industrial weapons is ready by command upon your execution. Your adversaries are tough and need heavy duty maintenance to survive the onslaught of dimensional demons that have escaped. With tools varying from nails to rockets even the pure fury known to be electricity, you may just come out on top of the fray.

The Arsenal
Spoiler:
Axe: The companion of your days as a lumberjack back at home. Surprisingly enough, it is useful against the undead.
Strength: Close-Combat
Weakness: Ranged Attacks / Close-Combat
Speed: Fast

Shotgun: Standard issue on the lines of defense, this little boomstick bucks harder than a mule. Though it could use more punch, it gets the job done.
Strength: Range / Resourceful
Weakness: Lack of Power

Nailgun: Utilizing gauss-powered electromagnetic energy from tiny magnets, the Nailgun ejects brass nails, eviscerating flesh like shredded lamb. Shying away from the idea that dimensional ghoul meat is a delicacy, you will never tire of pummeling the opposition with a well-placed barrage of a solid projectile.
Strength: Power / Strong against Flesh-based enemies
Weakness: Small magazine

Super Shotgun: Someone figured a good double-barrel break action would make the idea clear that business was serious. Grateful for the shipping costs, this tool of terror ups the ante against magic-abusing monsters. Fires two-shells at a time, reloads fast, and mows down the hide of the hideous.
Strength: Power / Fast Reload
Weakness: Ammo Eater

Super Nailgun: Research and Development kindly left the instructions to building such a behemoth. A Frankenstein combo of a gatling motor and the MK I, all that remains is the dust from the surrounding walls in the air. The Vindicator.
Strength: Insane Speed & Power
Weakness: Ammo Eater
Speed: Supreme

Grenade Launcher: Launches pipe-grenades in an arc. Destroys weaker enemies into a bloody mess. Perfect for riot control when things get hairy, but do be careful to not trip over your own grenade. OR eat it.
Strength: Explosive attribute /Area of Effect damage
Weakness: Lack of Power / Not Player-friendly
Speed: Average

Rocket Launcher: The Dune Phantom RL-99 laughs in the face of its cousin, the Grenade Launcher. Not only does it pack a punch, but it launches volleys of high-explosive rockets guaranteed to remove the foundation. Be careful not to let this thing loose in close quarters.
Strength: Power / Explosive attribute
Weakness: Not suited for close quarters
Speed: Average

Railgun: Sonic-based weaponry that leaves a trail of respect in its wake. Utilizes cell-based energy.
Strength: Piercing Damage / Power / Aiming Sight
Weakness: SLOW reload
Speed: Tortoise

Thunderbolt: ???
Strength: ???
Weakness: ???
Speed: Ungodly
There has been log reports collected by a strange individual who claims there is device that augments weaponry with magical properties. Along your journey, should you discover anything - use it to the fullest of its potential. Caution is advised. Some weapons require blood to use as well. Including your own.

This thread is purely for updates on Astral Pathfinder. As development continues, playable demos will be available to try out. Please report any strange happenings, suggestions on item-placement, and anything else you feel will make Astral Pathfinder a well-rounded experience.

Credits: ID Software, Aubrey Hodges for Quake 3 Arena Soundtrack, EsselFortium for (3) BTSX E1 Textures, Complex Doom sounds, PSX Doom sounds, Unreal sounds.
Last edited by RUNSABER on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

Sandstormer

Re: Astral Pathfinder Ep.1 Beta

Post by Sandstormer »

Good stuff! You've made really good use of the legacy style coronas in this wad. I look forward to more.

RUNSABER

Re: [3DGE]Astral Pathfinder

Post by RUNSABER »

NEW UPDATE VIA ZDOOM FORUMS:

Astral Pathfinder is a 7-map pack for the 3DGE engine, showing off what the port is capable of in minor instances, while offering a suited gameplay experience from the author's perspective. While difficulties are not implemented just yet, cautionary play is advised, for this modification will not hesitate in testing the player's skill against waves of menacing opposition.

Enter Episode I. Trapped on a technology processing facility in Delano 6, a mysterious signal has rendered most of the station useless. Explore the confines of your rusty prison and get to the bottom of what seems to be foul play at the hands of a control freak. Stop the ghost ship from crashing into its nearby course, and descend into the marrow of the icy locales of Kapalades II. What was once a drill site to study bio-organic life on this beautiful cold giant is now the first stage in a series of horrifying rituals, terraforming and chaotic takeover by the hands of demonic flesh.

ImageImageImage

Enter Episode II. What manifestations are these testaments of ancient power and sacrifice? The hills run red with blood and gray of the ashes of the tortured and deceased. Towering monoliths which pledge to war-commanders of a time long past leave evidence to the reign of these monsters. In this realm, you are far from the influence of human life. Your weapons are puny and spit in the face of the aggression. You may have to seize their unknown power to topple their legions, even if the cost is losing your own humanity.
ImageImageImage

Features:
Dynamic Lighting / 3D Floors / 3D Skyboxes / OGG Music / High Resolution Textures / New Enemies(Improved Originals) / New Weapons / Quest-Driven Side Objectives
Screenshots (OLD BETA):
Spoiler:
New Screenshots:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

What is currently complete/Known Issues:
  • Episode I is now complete. MAP01 is now MAP02 in the new arrangement! There are now masters to defeat after each level.
    Variations of the original monsters including new additions are now available!
    New weapons have been tweaked for better proficiency.
    You can now craft weapons! Certain enemies have a rare (3%) chance of dropping an ingredient that can be combined into a new powerful weapon.
    Maps have been overhauled COMPLETELY. Most areas have been changed entirely or removed.
    **There is a quest in MAP03 where you encounter a sunken ship. Figure out this mystery for a brilliant prize.**
    For a smooth experience, turn Interpolation OFF if you are having framerate issues.
Requirements:
Laptop or Desktop computer which can run at least GZDoom 1.8+
3DGE 1.36F+ (Untested in previous releases, report bugs if noticed!)
Doom II/FreeDoom IWAD

This modification has been in development for a year now(WOW). There are only three more maps in development until a proper release is scheduled! As of now, most of the monster roster is complete, and the craft-able Wonder Weapons are now in development to match the harder difficult levels later in the game. Plans for this mod include playability for the Dreamcast Engine (Thank you Chu) and for an overall enjoyable experience on the PC. What started as a Weapons mod by ChronoTeeth has turned into a separate additional expansion upon the aesthetic nature of the guns. Original Doom monsters have been given additional attacks and more health to compensate for the powerful nature of these weapons. You can expect to spend at least a good 15+ minutes in each level if you are completing side quests for a perfect score at the end of each level. Be warned, you will find that balance is made to work around the players' individual accuracy and skill. There is forgiveness... however punishment is absolute. Thank you for checking out Astral Pathfinder! If you would like to learn more about 3DGE, it's development and have questions about any features, please visit http://www.tdgmods.net for staff support. I also write tutorials on the features of 3DGE and how to use them!

Download v1.1: http://mbx.cm/t/7HCXa (OLD BETA)

Credits: Quake 3/Rocket Arena Hi-Res Textures, Unreal sounds, Aubrey Hodges for Quake 3 Arena Soundtrack, QuakeOne for Skyboxes, Complex Doom sounds, ToxicDM Legacy Textures, ChronoTeeth for QUACK Weapons and DDF Code, Ceejay for many DDF codes used as a base, Raven Software, id Software, Chu/Andrew/Ceejay for developing 3DGE, Sandstormer, 3rdeye, CAPCOM for Spawn: Into The Demon's Hand Soundtrack.

CeeJay

Re: [3DGE]Astral Pathfinder (New updates+screens)

Post by CeeJay »

An 3DGE mod... by someone other than me. Gotta check this out, looks sweet judging by the screenshots.

EDIT:

Ok, played most of MAP01 but due to a accident involving a hammer and two wooden posts my index finger is broken which makes playing DOOM very hard (i'm a keyboard purist) so I couldn't play much more but I will return to it once the pain goes away. Some things I noticed off the bat:

Unless that is meant to be a secret passageway (I tried space on it) it looks wrong

Shouldn't there be an invisible wall or forcefield here? I could just jump off

I encountered Hell Knights before I had anything other than a dinky pistol and chainsaw.

Speaking of pistol, not a fan of that wimpy Q3 chaingun sound. Sounds really weak, especially when compared to all the beefy Doom 64 sounds.

I kept running out of shotgun shells, which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't encounter hell knights and cacodemons. Though it could be because my aim was horrible due to my trigger finger being as it is, should proably still be a bit more ammo for it.

Nice lens flares and lighting effects 8-)

That is all for now.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I'm happy to see that you're still working on this, Run! I enjoyed the original beta last year, and I'm looking forward to more from you :D .

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

New beta is now available:

Astral Pathfinder simply started out as a three-level add-on to learn and get used to 3DGE's engine. It's gone from a single playable map to a 6-level megawad and has been overhauled in terms of style and gameplay. Atmospheric than most Doom mods, the game immerses you into the player's sense of isolation. As you brave dark corridors, turn on objects and power teleporters, the mystery continues to crawl deeper into the abyss. This mod works well with 3DGE 2.0.2, as later renditions cause a nasty 3D floor bug that might be ironed out in another build release. This is not a finished product. There are still many exploits and bugs to be squashed, so please keep a lookout and note any that are there.

Current Features:

3-level map demo
New monsters, and three bosses to defeat
Singleplayer Only

Features Removed:

Elemental Gems have been removed
Upgradeable weapon counterparts have been removed
The final release will contain the last 3 additional maps of Episode II, and will be fully playable from start to finish.

Download(33.1mb): https://db.tt/zviL9dWk

Return to “Mods/Projects”