3DGE Model Pack v1.3

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
Sandstormer

Re: 3DGE Model Pack; 3HTP

Post by Sandstormer »

Okay, 3DGE Model Pack v1.1 and v1.1b are now ready for your enjoyment:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/77b6h ... k+v1.1.zip

Changelog:

- All models are now in MD3 format.
- Added muzzle flashes to all weapons.
- HUD weapon DDF's have been rewritten so that weapons flow much better.
- Updated the HUD shotgun model. It is held slightly different and it has a new reloading animation.
- Packed in a low end version of the model pack, v1.1b, for users who might experience frame rate issues. This version makes the monster corpses disappear very quickly so as to free up more RAM. Turn off dynamic lights when using the low end version 1.1b for an even greater increase in performance.

*Edit: There is a bug with the muzzle flashes. When you grab the invisibility power up and fire a weapon, the model for the muzzle flash is shown as a fuzzy block. This is being investigated.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

great news! Can't to give these a shakedown run.
The banlist has been updated successfully.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I made an announcement thread over at Doomworld, as well. There are people over there that would be very interested in a model pack for 3DGE, so it wouldn't be fair to keep them in the dark about it despite the general attitudes toward 3D models in that community.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Hey, I've only run the new model pack on a few maps and I love what this does for the game. The GT 610 nVidia card is homely even by modest budget card standards, and yet I have not seen a single slowdown.

May I inquire how big this project is for you? Are you going to do bug fixing and minor adjustments or do you have bigger plans for this? Blender has a smoothing plugin that rounds out surface meshes by adding polys. Is that something you would be willing to explore?

Also, that shotty view wespon model, I think you play with the full hud. If you minimalize the hud, you can see below the hand. That might be a nit pick, I can't recall if the sprites are that way. This will awesome with fast monsters!

Oh, one more nit pick, the old Hypertension made great use of models replacing animated midtextures, things like leavers and push buttons. The extra animation frames give models a silky smoothness that I really love. If I could find some open source models would you use them with permission?

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I'm glad to know that it runs very well! I am the only one working on the project at the moment, so it has been quite a bit of work. Rewriting the DDF's and converting each and every model file over to MD3 format took up a lot of time, as well as playtesting and bug fixing. Now that those parts are mostly taken care of, I can focus more on the actual modelling side of things instead of just the porting/conversion side.

I initially meant for this project to be strictly a 1:1 port of the Vavoom model pack, but the more that I work on it, the more that I realize that I want to go much further than that. I have plans to add more up to date models into the pack, and to even start making my own models and adding them in, as well. I'm definitely open to including open source models in the pack if proper permission can be gained. Instead of just being the 3DGE version of the Vavoom model pack, I'd like this to become the exclusive 3DGE model pack with its own unique models and identity.

I've thought about adding more polys to each mesh to make them smoother and more lifelike, but I want to use as few tris as possible so that performance does not take a hit. I'll look into Blender to see what I can do, otherwise I will just have to remodel many of the meshes and make them look smoother without necessarily adding more tris.

The shotgun model still sticks in my craw. It just feels a little off now matter what I do with it. This is the model that has given me the idea of just trying to do everything from scratch. There is a whole lot more that I plan on doing with the HUD weapons in general. The models for the zombieman and the shotgun guy definitely need an overhaul, as well.

I like what the old Hypertension can do. I will investigate that and try to find a way to work it into the model pack. It would do wonders for the animations.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Tried to find corbin's old hi-def trailer of the hypertension meat packing plant. Found fiend's first youtube of it in 2010, bur not corb's 11 version. The `11 version had luke's tfn models for ht's proprietary use, but for the life of me I can't find it, and I've been through about 10 trailers. Anywho I just wanted you to see how good md3 models can look when replacing animated mid textures.

gonna stress test your model pack with a slaughter map tonight. BD

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

First major slow down using the 1.1 model pack with 3dge2.0. Frame rate goes below 1 per sec. with ~12 actors on screen using the Nvidia GT 610 gpu, 512megs ddr2 ram. 3dge1.36f doesn't have this issue. 1.1b pack is almost playable in same map spot wirh 3dge2.0.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I was afraid of that. I'm streamlining the models by eliminating unnecessary tris. Not only should this help out in the frame rate department, but it will give the pack an even more distinct look compared to the original Vavoom pack. I'm going to replace the explosion models with HD sprites, too. The frame rate takes a small but noticeable dip when using the plasma rifle. Keep in mind that I am intentionally testing this pack on a low end laptop. I figure that if it runs well on that then it will run beautifully on an average PC with minimum required specs.

3rd_3ye
Community Manager

Post by 3rd_3ye »

Loving the new framerate in 3dge, but it's the main source of this slowdown. I haven't tried yet, 16bit texture depth combined with the 1.1b pack will eliminate the snag, I'm certain. Wish we had a 24 bit option. The imps' fireballs will be a huge issue, imps can fill a room with those things in 10 seconds or so.

Any thoughts on frame culling? Some the faster movememts look like they have huge numbers of frames per animation. I wouldn't want to risk changing reaction times or anything.

Also, the pinky demon's colision box, would narrowing or shrinking that box help him get through narrow door ways? his sprite gets through a door way in freedoom when his model cant, there arent that many doors narrow enough to cause it, but it happens.

Sandstormer

Post by Sandstormer »

I'm cutting out unnecessary animation frames from the models and within the DDF's. I'm also rebuilding the pinky from the ground up, and it will definitely have a more neutral hit box so that it doesn't get stuck anywhere. I've watched the pink get stuck while playing other vanilla wads as well, and it is one of the main reasons why I decided to make a new model for it.