Heathen v1.1

Feel like undertaking your own EDGE project/mod? Announce and discuss it here! You are also free to talk about past EDGE projects from the days of yonder.
RUNSABER

Re: Heathen (medieval/fantasy mod) v0.3

Post by RUNSABER »

Absolutely - its all understandable. Discord is basically a chat for gamers and has different servers for different games like League of Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc. I use it for Pokemon Go and Doom. You can either download the smartphone app or use your computer. I'm always in the #zdoom server as that's where 3DGE channels are as well. I recommend you get one, that way we can always be in touch over the minor things.

I also apologize for your struggles, friend - alcohol ironically is plentiful for the harm it can do, and most jobs with good pay dont allow the use of marijuana or other things to help, so most of the time cracking open a cold one is the go-to. Ive never struggled with it, but if you need a buddy I got you.

As far as stages go, I'm doing everything completely freestyle - nothing is planned other than to make use of the engine's features and throw scripting in for a nice experience. You dont need to do much to help. If you play another adventure game and like the ideas in it, pitch those ideas. I'm looking to throw something out thats playable every couple of levels I complete. Hopefully that is enough for testing and previews!
Official 3DGE64 Project Portal - Public Repository for 3DGE 64.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I'm moving quite well on progress, and finally figured how hubs work by accident. I think you should see this!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2ctLvTHTKMQ[/youtube]

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

That's totally awesome, please please keep working on it. Something like this could really be beneficial for the engine. If you need anything level-related in the base mod (weapons, enemies, enemy variations, etc.) outside of the stock stuff just let me know. BTW, what's up with the horrible picture quality?

I got a new computer up and running, and it appears to play 3DGE much better than my last one. Just need to get used to a few things first, strange quirks and whatnot. Keep me posted.

CeeJay

Re: Heathen (medieval/fantasy mod) v0.6

Post by CeeJay »

Updated with added secondary attacks for weapons along with lots of tweaks and improvements throughout. The Dragon Sword still only has a primary attack and the Vorpal Blades secondary attack is charged up by killing enemies with its primary attack.

Enjoy!

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Not sure if it was my version of 3DGE or not, but when the Vorpal Blade is charged, the HUD message only remains on screen for a second and goes away. The Chaingunner replacement has gib sounds, and a state for gibs but doesnt have gib effects. This may be intentional. Some maps are difficult to Pistol/Fist start unless the map GIVES you a mid-high tier weapon and in the case of this mod: every weapon that is not the Vorpal Blade/Fist is considered higher tier, opting for the player to be at a serious disadvantage with their bare hands. Maybe you can use the Vorpal Blade as a fist replacement? Sometimes the attack sequence doesnt feel as fluid as the melee attacks in Hexen. I feel the Vorpal Blade could use more love in terms of power and should be as strong as the Ethereal Crossbow or Lightning Axe, if not on par with the ability of those two weapons. Some variation in attack animations using the JUMP command could be visually exciting if possible. These suggestions could merely just be the result of what maps I play on (Rebirth1.wad starts off nice but quickly feels like DOOM Doom, and not Hexen Doom) while others may not have the same issues. The Ritual Dagger should increase the speed at which the player attacks as well. The powerup isnt necessarily used to its full potential when the player can deal quadruple or more damage yet still slugs slowly like a titan. I don't quite feel as powerful or augmented by the powerup. The Succubus is a great enemy. I find most of these high-tier enemies to be not as threatening by the time I retrieve the Hammer of Retribution. Once again, this may depend on what wad I play alongside with the modification. I hope to continue playing with this mod in various situations and add my thoughts as I go.

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Some bugs/quirks you may want to work out:

-Vorpal Blade is crippled by 3DGE's auto-aim/force_aim feature on older versions. Though this may not be the case in newer builds. "Vorpal Blade is Charged!" plays, even after the Vorpal Blade is fully charged. When your blade is charged and you continue to kill, this message repeats every "100%". Maybe there is a way you can have it check to see what state the weapon is in, so that the message doesn't continue to play every time you "charge" it up?

-Vorpal Blade attack is severely limited and crippled. The secondary charge attack is supposed to be a projectile that has a wide range of attack, and a reasonable distance that tunnels through enemies. It's supposed to attack multiple targets in its range and mow them down. This attack only locks on to one enemy, and doesn't tunnel through it. I recommend that you play Eriance/Amuscaria's Hell Forge/Eriguns mods to see how the Vorpal Blade is supposed to work in action.

-The Ethereal Crossbow can still use it's secondary fire attack if it has 1 arrow remaining in reserve. I believe 2 should be the cost, and if it does not have 2 arrows, a regular attack should be used.

- Reduce the amount of arrows you receive from an Archer from (4) to (2). With shotgun shell (arrows) drops yielding 4 arrows per bundle, this gives you two secondary attacks and four primary attacks. As a mapper, this makes me cautious as to how generous I can be with arrow drops, as I dont want the player to mow down enemies left and right with generous drops. If you only have 2 arrows to use, by mowing down two archers, you've doubled your spoils and have leniency as to how accurate you need to be with your weapon. This makes the experience with the Ethereal Arrows too forgiving, with not enough punishment for the player expending their arrows with a lack of aim.

-The Dragon Claw does damage when used closely against enemies and surfaces. I get it. When magical is mishandled it can have very detrimental effects.

-The Crusader Shield could see a 50% physical damage reduction instead of rendering ALL physical attacks null against the shield. In real life and combat, a shield doesnt nullify all damage. If you block a heavy attack with a shield, you will stagger, or take a small amount of damage from the brunt of the blow. I would love to see a reduction, rather than a nullification. If you're surrounded by golems, you are invincible because of your Crusader shield, whereas the only support they can have is by enemies with magic attacks. It's neat that magical attacks can break through the shield, but it will take uses of mobs to give the player a reason to not charge head on into battle. It's really a pro, and a con. I have yet to see how the Magic Amulet's protection works.

-Maybe instead of a physical melee attack with the Lightning Axe, it could be an area-of-effect lightning spread attack or some time of homing lightning bolt? If a weapon has a long-range attack, a wise route would be to equip it with a utility close-ranged move. Otherwise, it takes too long to switch from the Lightning Axe to the Vorpal Blade for melee control. Sadly, the only few melee weapons are projectile based. The Hammer makes excellent use of this utility feature.

Lobo

Re: Heathen v0.8 release

Post by Lobo »

RunSabers gonna love this.

Lobo

Re: Heathen v0.8 release

Post by Lobo »

I hear the new Lobo blade is very similar to the Vorpal blade, but with the bugs fixed and cooler? I would suggest keeping the original name though: "Mighty Allpowerful DeathBringing Lobo Blade of Righteous Justice" is too long for RTS tips... ;)

CeeJay

Re: Heathen v0.9 release

Post by CeeJay »

Version 0.9 released !