(limited) support for HERETIC *UPDATE*

Making something for EDGE? Show it here.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

CeeJay

(limited) support for HERETIC *UPDATE*

Postby CeeJay » Thu 16 Aug 2012 8:48 am

Out of pure curiosity and feeling the need to do something different I begin coding the enemies from Heretic and I thought to myself, why stop there? I know a lot of things probably can not be accomplished (the inventory system is out of the question) but I think it is possible to get enough support to run and actually play Heretic through EDGE.

This is what I've done so far, a proof-of-concept. I've coded all the golem types (mummy), the two gargoyle types (aka imp), the normal and ghost versions of the undead warrior (knight) and the wizard all with pleasing results. I've strived to be as accurate as I can with everything concerning them. This includes their frames, stats and attacks. For testing purpose, the enemies replace Doom ones for the time being. More will come as I progress.

download (DDF only):
http://www.mediafire.com/?w29jll9axlabzso (** UPDATE 08/19 **)

You will, of course, need the sprites and sounds from the Heretic IWAD. I can not provide these.

UPDATE:

All of the regular enemies are done, now with their proper thing numbers and unique name tags. But that's not all, most of the scenery decorations, items, animated walls/floors and switches among other things are also in place. Though some of the items can not be picked up yet and some behave like Doom counterparts. Most of the levels in Heretic are now fully playable. Though you will need play with the Heretic iwad as a pwad (-file heretic.wad) and play with Doom I/Ultimate Doom as an iwad (-iwad doom.wad).

See original download link above.

Enjoy!
Last edited by CeeJay on Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Thu 16 Aug 2012 11:40 pm

This is really neat. I'm currently playing through that other project you sent me. It's nice to have new things for EDGE.

At one point I was tinkering with implementing the inventory system from Heretic (one like it) in EDGE, though in hindsight I shouldn't have started it so soon. After my Q2 stuff gets finished, I might come back and lay some serious groundwork.

Regardless, this is sweet!

CeeJay

Postby CeeJay » Fri 17 Aug 2012 7:50 am

See first post for update

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Fri 17 Aug 2012 1:26 pm

Too bad Blasphemer wad. isn't up to speed.

CeeJay

Postby CeeJay » Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:10 am

See initial download link for a new update. Lots of things have been added, changed and improved.

For one, a few sector and linedef types have been added/changed. So E1M1 of Heretic is now playable without having to cheat. Oh, the pushable wind sector is in also.

Most of the items are in place and with proper pickup sound and messages.

5 weapons partially finished.

Added game and level info, so all Heretic episodes/levels are properly accesible. These are not finished however, all levels show up as Hangar on the intermission and no music yet.

Attack/immunity/ghost class system implemented for weapons and enemies. Ghost enemies are immune (ghost class) to certain attacks and monsters of the same species share attack class for their attack(s) so they won't infight.

Lots of other neat stuff.

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Thu 23 Aug 2012 6:50 am

If support for heretic is completed at some later date, will this wad still be useful? How about the shareware version? Can this wad run that?

CeeJay

Postby CeeJay » Wed 05 Sep 2012 3:29 am

If I ever finish this, support for the shareware version of Heretic shouldn't be too difficult. However, due to a hard drive crash i've experienced some setbacks. The future of this project is uncertain at this time.

Return to “Projects for EDGE”