New way to simulate 3d floors?

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
zZaRDoZz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New way to simulate 3d floors?

Postby zZaRDoZz » Sat 05 Sep 2009 12:35 am

Andrewj, please don't stab me in the eye with a very sharp No.2 pencil for asking the following question. I know my questions about technical things show a severe lack of experience.

Anywho, is there a way to simulate a 3d floor using blocked sprites?
I know MD2 models can replace geometry for this already. Considering that world models eat up rendering resources, I was wondering if there was a "cheaper" way to get room over room.

...*Quickly puts on pair of gogles*

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Sat 05 Sep 2009 2:33 am

I guess if EDGE had "flat" sprites (like Build engine has), you could have cheap wafer-thin bridges to walk on.

A simple MD2 (with only six sides) is also pretty cheap though. What makes MD2 monsters expensive is having 100s or 1000s of polygons in them.

P.S. I don't stab people in the eyes, it's a lot more satisfying smashing my guitar on their heads :P

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Sat 05 Sep 2009 6:20 am

I wonder whats worse, lead poisoning or ink poisoning? Ive actually been stabbed with a pencil twice, it hurts!!!
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Return to “Feature Suggestions”