FPS increase?

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Lysander

FPS increase?

Postby Lysander » Mon 15 Feb 2010 9:17 am

Karnizero

Re: FPS increase?

Postby Karnizero » Tue 16 Feb 2010 9:47 am

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Tue 16 Feb 2010 1:05 pm

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Wed 30 Jun 2010 4:17 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Wed 30 Jun 2010 8:09 am

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Wed 30 Jun 2010 1:21 pm

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Wed 30 Jun 2010 5:50 pm

But I don't see the point, unless you want a Source Port that doesn't follows the real Doom timing rate.

If you want 70 FPS, you mean that you want the game to show 70 Frames each second, but don't forget that original Doom shows 35 Frames each second, so either it's pointless to have higher framerate or you don't want to follo the real Doom timing "rules".

[EDIT]

Anyway, I don't think this will happen, since modifying the EDGE FPS rate will probably involve a lot of engine coding and probably renderer modifications as well.

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Wed 30 Jun 2010 7:07 pm

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Wed 30 Jun 2010 11:17 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 01 Jul 2010 2:37 pm

I think you guys are forgetting that a raycast engine in any form is not specifically tailored to run well on today's operating systems and graphics cards. During the days of Wolf3d and Doom raycast engine's have whats called the "gameloop" which affect the timing of everything. With the limited power of computers at the time one of the hardest thing to program was a stable frame rate among machines with faster and slower processors. One wrong calculation could mean a game capable of running at 28fps on a 100mhz machine, would run at 8fps on a 75mhz computer. Then even possibly too fast on a 125mhz processor. The sheer power of today's computers haven given in to some really sloppy methods of programing. Developers had to do so much with so little in those early days.... Many of those old programing techniques have been depreciated due to advances in operating systems and programing in general. The "gameloop" still exists today but the way it interfaces with modern hardware is very different from the 90's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Edge have more in common with the Build engine than with ID tech 1 at this point? If that's true it makes more sense about limiting the frame rate. I've not looked into the inner workings of any sourceport, but I think its safe to say that much of how Doom checks line of sight, monster timings and renders graphics at face value is much the same now than what it's always been. Even if the hardware that's doing the job has changed vastly. Much of what Ken Siliverman coded into "build" copied what other raycasting engines already did. Much of the same techniques are universal among raycast engines. He was just smart enough to develop better solutions to questions that others could not. I still wish DOOM had voxel support!

I see little point of increasing any framerate over 32 fps. The extra smoothness is nice, but all those extra frames can actually increase lag between people during a multi-player session. Not really something we have to worry about with Edge.... It's really a test in willpower to develop any sourceport with modern hardware. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Gzdoom disaster?

Graf did a great job with Gzdoom. However the constant hostility and complaining of ATI users eventually led him to shut down development. Both Nvidia and ATI render graphics different from one another. Graf was more skilled working with Nvidia so he chose to concentrate his efforts on that area. The way the community treated his was inexcusable. Attacking him in every way possible...

People like andrewj and Graf deserved to be hailed as gods among Doom guru's. We are thankful and lucky for whatever contributions they have made. Personally I can't stand playing any doom sourceport for long that doesn't support "no monster interpolation". This could be the whole entire reason Edge limits the framerate.

Explanation: Because ZDoom allows the framerate to go above 35 FPS, monster movement is interpolated by default so they move more smoothly and take advantage of the additional frames. However, the actual AI that moves them is still limited to the normal 35 tics per second rate. In some situations, this may cause jerky or inaccurate movement when ZDoom attemps to interpolate. This option can be enabled so that monsters will only visibly move at the 35 FPS rate.
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Thu 01 Jul 2010 5:59 pm

, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 01 Jul 2010 6:09 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Thu 01 Jul 2010 6:48 pm

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Fri 02 Jul 2010 9:33 am

I personally think that uncapping the framerate has little value (in a DOOM-based engine), and it's one of those things that once you start it's like a domino effect, where you keep finding more and more stuff which needs to be interpolated to keep everything looking smooth.

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Fri 02 Jul 2010 12:32 pm

It makes GzDoom and PrBoomplus run nicely on my totally under-gunned machine is all I can say. It doesn't seem to help zdoom though, which runs like a three legged dog. I don't think anyone who's for or against it has any illusion that it's going to happen Andrew, I was just daydreaming along with others at the new feature wishing well. It's a little like voxels. You know there isn't a GPU that can draw them but it doesn't stop me from dreaming. :)

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Mon 05 Jul 2010 9:53 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Tue 06 Jul 2010 6:28 am

Some large chunks of "Build" have made its way into a few doom ports. Unless Andrew has a better method for doing rooms over rooms, I don't see why he wouldn't have stuck with already proven code, which was already well established with Ken Silverman's Build engine. Any engine "doom-like" at its core uses a form of BSP or Binary space partitioning. If you can create a room within a room type void, this would confirm my suspicions about EDGE being more like BUILD. In 1994 Build already had slopes and both BSP code superior to Doom thanks to John Carmack advising Ken himself...

See this video for more information:
www.tragos2d.com

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:04 am

Who's BAD?

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Wed 14 Jul 2010 10:11 am

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Fri 16 Jul 2010 1:54 am

www.tragos2d.com

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 20 Jul 2010 6:40 am

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 22 Jul 2010 3:30 am

www.tragos2d.com

Return to “Feature Suggestions”